Iowa will be the best team ISU has faced since the Notre Dame, in the CWB.

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
ferentzbam.0.gif

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
To be fair to the OP, he wasn’t saying Iowa was as good as ND. OP is saying Iowa is better than OU from last year, which is pretty bold.

The person I'm quoting, unless I'm misunderstanding, is saying only at receiver did Notre Dame look better than Iowa.

That's not just bold--it's insane.

CaptainClutch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 1, 2014
Just finished watching ISU's and Iowa replay.

Iowa is fast and athletic on both sides of the ball. Iowa's 50 yd first score was a TD to the sideline almost at the same time the ball was handed off to the RB.

Hall/OC coaches are going to have to figure our how to get open in space. Hall needs 150 yards+ for ISU to have any chance. Unless the pressure is off Purdy, 'twill be a long day.
There secondary will be the slowest we play all year besides UNI and maybe Kansas. Goodson really isn’t a fast RB and their QB is a turtle, where’s all this speed coming from?

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
They don't have the length and speed ND did at WR but other than that, they look like ND physically. ND was a game where we physically whipped. Iowa is going to be a major challenge. They are comfortable in tight games, keeping close, then waiting to capitalize on a mistake. I worry Purdy will turn it over once or twice. Iowa also has the ability to hit on a big play just when they need it. They are not afraid to take shots, the thing is can Petres hit on them. I find it hard to believe we are going to score more than 20 on Iowa, our defense is going to some how have win it for us. We we struggle scoring TDs against Iowa unless it is from far away. Doing a sustained drive and getting it to the red zone it where we stall, either with a mistake like a false start, a penalty, turnover, or FG attempt. We struggles against UNI last time and against an Iowa defense that is not as good as this one could only score 16 points.

So much here, let me start a list:

1) Use english
2) Use paragraphs
3) Iowa is no Notre Dame in any way, shape or form
4) We match Iowa physically in every way
5) We are also comfortable in tight games, you may not be by CMC is
6) Purdy is no more risk to turn it over than Petras
7) 'If Petras can hit on them" no ****, that is their big problem, not their advantage
8) We have a better chance of scoring 20 points than Iowa does.
9) How many sustained drives did Iowa have Saturday? Their yds/play < ISUs
10) We have not played Iowa for 2 years and this is a much different ISU team than faced them then. Even then, it was a even matchup in a game hinging on a few key plays.

Take a deep breath, have a good breakfast and relax. Going to be a great game but we are not in trouble.

Last edited:

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Lol OP, Iowa has zero business winning this game.
You might be more confident ISU wins it than I am. We struggle so hard to play complete game again Iowa, haven't done it in 5 years.

Literally just an average day for ISU in all phases should be enough to win, but usually during this game, at least one phase plays far below average and consequently hurts the others.

ashmore

Sep 9, 2013
Whatever. If you approach JT from the south or sw you drive by my house, park in front of it, and might even walk through the park in my backyard. Wave, we’ll be the objective ones enjoying pregame libations, just as we always do on game days.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyclones1969

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
So much here, let me start a list:

1) Use english
2) Use paragraphs
3) Iowa is no Notre Dame in any way, shape or form
4) We match Iowa physically in every way
5) We are also comfortable in tight games, you may not be by CMC is
6) Purdy is no more risk to turn it over than Petras
7) 'If Petras can hit on them" no ****, that is there big problem, not their advantage
8) We have a better chance of scoring 20 points than Iowa does.
9) How many sustained drives did Iowa have Saturday? Their yds/play < ISUs
10) We have not played Iowa for 2 years and this is a much different ISU team than faced them then. Even the, it was a even matchup in a gaming hinging on a few key plays.

Take a deep breath, have a good breakfast and relax. Going to be a great game but we are not in trouble.
Yeah, 2019 we were probably the less talented team and we still only lost by one, I think, after muffing a punt in the final minutes that caused us a chance to drive down for a winning field goal.

Reactions: cyclone1209

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
You might be more confident ISU wins it than I am. We struggle so hard to play complete game again Iowa, haven't done it in 5 years.

Literally just an average day for ISU in all phases should be enough to win, but usually during this game, at least one phase plays far below average and consequently hurts the others.

What is the sample size for games with Iowa under Matt Campbell? How well does that sample size translate to the quality of team we have now.

This game is no gimme but it is not any bigger problem game than OU, Texas, OSU, TCU, WVU and probably KSU.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
What is the sample size for games with Iowa under Matt Campbell? How well does that sample size translate to the quality of team we have now.

This game is no gimme but it is not any bigger problem game than OU, Texas, OSU, TCU, WVU and probably KSU.
The sample size for Iowa games under Campbell is only 1 game different from any conference team games under Campbell, except OU. Now, there's definitely a gap having not played Iowa last year, which would've been a pretty good indicator of what this year's performance would've looked like for our team.

The sample size of AUG/early SEP games for Campbell's tenure is poor.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
The sample size for Iowa games under Campbell is only 1 game different from any conference team games under Campbell, except OU. Now, there's definitely a gap having not played Iowa last year, which would've been a pretty good indicator of what this year's performance would've looked like for our team.

The sample size of AUG/early SEP games for Campbell's tenure is better than previous coaches.

FIFY

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009
I think it will play out like it usually does…Iowa’s units will have more NFLers. The upgrade in talent at ISU is real, and we’re so much more experienced…but honestly, how many go next level?

That said, Saturday isn’t an NFL game, and some of there’s are just babies.

All I’m saying, we here this same claim every year because we don’t like them, it’s a different conference, etc. but the have really good players we don’t know, or hardly ever will because the viewing of them ends this week for a year, and we’re not real objective in our hatred of them.

Discounting Iowa’s talent is something I don’t think the staff will do.
Just from the bits and pieces I've seen of ISU the last 2 years, it looks like you all have more NFL potential talent than has previously been on the field at ISU. Not that NFL talent is by itself an indicator.

You are correct in that aside from Linderbaum and Goodson Iowa's NFL caliber talent is young. Richman is a freshman starting at LT for Iowa. Every single tackle under Ferentz who has started that early has ended up either being drafted or making an NFL roster (Alaric Jackson didn't get drafted but made the Rams 53 man roster). Colby played some series as a true freshman at guard. It's easy to envision him being drafted given his size and the history of other linemen at Iowa playing so early.

Both teams fans probably undersell the abilities of the other team's players. First time I saw Eisworth I thought he was too small, but more I watched, the more impressed I was. It's just one example on the ISU side.

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009
Goodson and their running game can be and likely will be a handful. Teams with legit defenses will make Petras beat them. I'm hoping we are one of those teams, at least our defense seemed to be further along Saturday.

I see no way Iowa wins without Petras making some plays in the passing game.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man