Is all this Duck love fest justified?

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
OK, I get that many still hold a grudge against Chizik. What's harder to understand is why so many around here have blindly jumped onto the Duck bandwagon.

For my taste, they owe too much of their success to factors that I have trouble embracing - Phil Knight throwing his money around, a gimmick offense, and too much reliance on star players with behavior issues and shady backgrounds.

The Newton situation made all of the front pages, but Oregon seems to have been given a free pass considering all of the issues that the program has had over the past several years.

If you get beyond which program pushes the limits the most, it's probably best for football in general that the team that was better at blocking, tackling, and defense won the game.

Ducks' football program hit with more problems

Hawkfan1967

Jun 5, 2009
It has to feel like watching your girlfriend cheat on you. I am an Iowa fan, and I was routing for the Ducks for what Gene did to Iowa State.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I actually rooted for Auburn. I'm sick of hearing about the "Blur" (which, yet again, stood still in the face of a good rush defense), and I figure Auburn is going to lose everything they've won within 5 years anyway, so it's a win-win.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
Oregon is not the typical powerhouse that makes it to the national title game. People cheer for that type of team.

Apr 19, 2006
OK, I get that many still hold a grudge against Chizik. What's harder to understand is why so many around here have blindly jumped onto the Duck bandwagon.

For my taste, they owe too much of their success to factors that I have trouble embracing - Phil Knight throwing his money around, a gimmick offense, and too much reliance on star players with behavior issues and shady backgrounds.

The Newton situation made all of the front pages, but Oregon seems to have been given a free pass considering all of the issues that the program has had over the past several years.

If you get beyond which program pushes the limits the most, it's probably best for football in general that the team that was better at blocking, tackling, and defense won the game.

I never cared for Oregon, but I know I dislike Chiz so I became a fan for the game. Then after watching them play tonight it was kind of hard not to cheer for them. They were a fun team to watch.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

1) Phil Knight - I don't have a problem with rich alumni throwing their money around, as long as it's clean and legitimate. Ever heard of Bobby Lowder and his relationship with Auburn? Do you think he doesn't support Auburn football financially at all?

2) "Gimmick" offense - To be honest, this sounds like "grumpy old man" syndrome to me "Back in my day, we ran the ball with a cloud of dust every single damn time and we LIKED it!" If it works, why not use it and why are you seemingly offended by it? I love watching their offense personally, much more entertaining than your usual vanilla bland offensive schemes you see.

3) Behavior issues - sad to see some of the issues in the link you posted, but let's be honest, the next football program to have a totally spotless record on stuff like this will be the first. I don't think they are worse than other college football programs, and Masoli was kicked off the team anyway.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
It is pretty amazing the double standard we have here. Oregon had a running back beat up his girlfriend, a QB and WR steal computers and guitars, and a bunch of players arrested for other various other things (drinking, drugs, etc...) last year. In fact, they had 6 players arrested in January alone.

Actually, if you look back at it, their numbers are very similar to Iowa's. But, of course, since they play flashy, aren't black and gold, and were playing against Chizik, all of that is forgotten, and they are suddenly an "easy team to cheer for."

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It is pretty amazing the double standard we have here. Oregon had a running back beat up his girlfriend, a QB and WR steal computers and guitars, and a bunch of players arrested for other various other things (drinking, drugs, etc...) last year. In fact, they had 6 players arrested in January alone.

Actually, if you look back at it, their numbers are very similar to Iowa's. But, of course, since they play flashy, aren't black and gold, and were playing against Chizik, all of that is forgotten, and they are suddenly an "easy team to cheer for."

what's your point?

Reactions: HiltonMagic

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

We're definitely not talking about wins now, are we?

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010

Go Ducks.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
ISU fans who chastise/despise Iowa football for its off-field problems but now embrace Oregon are hypocrites??? Hard to argue against that...

No, I mean what did he expect? Oregon is not an instate rival and they were playing against a generally despised ex-coach. Did he really expect to find the board evenly split with Auburn and Oregon support?

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Let me see, Oregon runs a wide open, up tempo offense that is fun to watch. Despite the fact that they only have like a 50k seat stadium, their home field is one of the loudest and most difficult places to play in the country. They have crazy uniforms (and obviously, at least half of the posters on this website are obsessed with uniform design). They aren't a traditional power program, and that gives hope to programs like us. Their mascot looks like they kidnapped Donald Duck from Disneyland. Oh, and they also have represented well in numerous cheerleader hotties threads on this board.

... And of course, they were playing the Chiz.

I think the real question is, why aren't we seeing even more Duck love on this site?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

I forgot that we were talking about the Hawks. :jimlad:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
ISU fans who chastise/despise Iowa football for its off-field problems but now embrace Oregon are hypocrites??? Hard to argue against that...

This is easy. iowa is our rival, in case you didn't know. I don't know jack squat about Oregon's off field problems.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I hate Nebraska. I'd have cheered louldly for Nebraska if it meant keeping a team with a blatantly professional star player from winning a fake championship.

It's pretty simple people. Look at other boards, the entire nation was cheering for the Ducks...more accurately the entire nation was cheering against Auburn.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
No, I mean what did he expect? Oregon is not an instate rival and they were playing against a generally despised ex-coach. Did he really expect to find the board evenly split with Auburn and Oregon support?

This is true.

And for the record, I was a big Ducks fan last night. I can't stand Chizik and I don't care for the SEC teams as a whole.

But, for those who despise Iowa's program for the arrest record, and hate KF because they think he's immoral, sure jumped on the Oregon bandwagon (given similar arrest circumstances) when it benefited them.