Is Kansas State football going to fall off the map?

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Reading through KState message boards their fans are giving up hope on Klieman who is currently 15-14 in three years and on an 8-game Big 12 losing streak. Calling it now - Kstate falls into the Big 12 cellar for a long time. Bill Snyder (who I think is top 5 college football coach of all time) is the only one to win there in 100 years.

Prior to Snyder from 1950 - 1988 they went a putrid 103-288-5 and were one of, if not the worst, power team in college football. Snyder came in and worked miracles from 1989-2005 and went into retirement. Ron Prince took over and proceeded to go 17-20 in three seasons and the wheels fell off the wagon. The vampire came out of retirement and three years later they were back in the Cotton Bowl with 10 wins. Since his second retirement they have gone 9-11 in Big 12 play and consistently gotten worse each year.

Snyder, who is 82 years old isn't walking through the door. Manhattan is in the middle of nowhere in a small state. Literally every coach outside of Snyder has failed massively. I think the purple cats are in for a long future.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
I still think they end up middle of the Big 12. They will beat Ku, Tech and WVU. I haven't watched TCU but they probably have a good shot against them and could probably beat Texas too depending on when they play.
I agree for this year. I was more referring to the next 10-20 years.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I, for one, am hoping this happens
Why does having two doormats in Kansas help us at all? If anything it allows people to point to our current coach and make an analogy that we wouldn't like that would also be bad news in the continued realignment climate. If we're hoping for things, I'll hope we remain relevant in a strong league as opposed to hoping the rest of the league stinks so we look better than we are.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
They've been really decimated by injuries and to some extent COVID with Klieman.

I want what's left of the Big 8: ISU, KState, Okie State, KU to succeed more than TCU, Baylor, Tech, WV and the 4 newbies coming up.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Why does having two doormats in Kansas help us at all? If anything it allows people to point to our current coach and make an analogy that we wouldn't like that would also be bad news in the continued realignment climate. If we're hoping for things, I'll hope we remain relevant in a strong league as opposed to hoping the rest of the league stinks so we look better than we are.
Everyone else can stay strong. Kansas schools can kick rocks for all I care.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Eh- plenty of opportunity on the back half of their schedule. Thanks to the Crypt Keeper they have a loyal fanbase and proud tradition. I have a hard time seeing them returning to pre-Snyder levels of incompetence. I would welcome mediocrity of course.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
They wont fall to KU levels. Their fan support is too good for that. I think they will be a program that goes between 3-9 and 7-5 most years. I think they'll basically be what Iowa State was from 1999-2016. Periods of making 2-3 bowl games in a row, followed by 3-4 bowless years. Places like KSU and ISU are completely dependent on who their coach is. They aren't programs that can stand alone and maintain success through coaches changes because their instate recruit base is tiny. There are very few program who can. Their drop COULD be worse than Nebraska's.

I kind of feel sorry for them because they face the same obstacles as Iowa State. But then I remember losing 10-12 close games in a row to them....

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Reading through KState message boards their fans are giving up hope on Klieman who is currently 15-14 in three years and on an 8-game Big 12 losing streak. Calling it now - Kstate falls into the Big 12 cellar for a long time. Bill Snyder (who I think is top 5 college football coach of all time) is the only one to win there in 100 years.

Prior to Snyder from 1950 - 1988 they went a putrid 103-288-5 and were one of, if not the worst, power team in college football. Snyder came in and worked miracles from 1989-2005 and went into retirement. Ron Prince took over and proceeded to go 17-20 in three seasons and the wheels fell off the wagon. The vampire came out of retirement and three years later they were back in the Cotton Bowl with 10 wins. Since his second retirement they have gone 9-11 in Big 12 play and consistently gotten worse each year.

Snyder, who is 82 years old isn't walking through the door. Manhattan is in the middle of nowhere in a small state. Literally every coach outside of Snyder has failed massively. I think the purple cats are in for a long future.
Anyone who hasn't already thrown out last year from the equation as far as K State goes really hasn't been paying attention. They were a good team last year with some quality wins until Thompson went down. Then the fates piled on and they suffered from COVID. I think they can get some decent wins this year if Mr. Glass stays healthy.

I think they can be okay under Klieman, but I don't think he will ever sustain Snyder levels. It probably is a little unreasonable to expect that he will. Snyder wasn't even Snyder there toward the end.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
They were too good for too long under Snyder to completely bottom out like KU.

I think if Campbell stays, ISU and KSU will switch places in the conference hierarchy. KSU will be the program happy to get to 6-6/7-5 and the KY Jelly Bowl, while ISU will be the tough out that will occasionally jump up and challenge the big dogs for the conference title.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Talent aside they did not seem to be as well coached as the Bill Synder teams. But I'm not writing off Klieman just yet. Like ISU and NDSU, KSU has to win with a lot of solid 2 and 3 star players.
Klieman seems suited for that task

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Also, I think KSU fans are overreacting. COVID really screwed them up last year, and they started out this year's conference slate with OU, OSU and ISU.

They'll win at Tech and Kansas, probably beat TCU at home, and could win one of WV, Baylor or @ Texas. So they'll probably be looking at 6-6/7-5 and a Liberty/Texas/Cheezit Bowl.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Anyone who hasn't already thrown out last year from the equation as far as K State goes really hasn't been paying attention. They were a good team last year with some quality wins until Thompson went down. Then the fates piled on and they suffered from COVID. I think they can get some decent wins this year if Mr. Glass stays healthy.

I think they can be okay under Klieman, but I don't think he will ever sustain Snyder levels. It probably is a little unreasonable to expect that he will. Snyder wasn't even Snyder there toward the end.
They need a new identity IMO. Trying to get a Colin Klein there every four years is a tough task. They have had good luck finding that niche QB but it can't last forever.

• Winner
Reactions: bozclone

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

This. Will be good but probably not as good as peak Snyder. Snyder averaged 8 wins per year. Klieman will prob avg 7. They have the same formula still - develop big lineman, and find little speed demons.

Also would add, they are 0-3 in Big12, but the losses are to what are probably the 3 best teams in conference, and they didn't get completely blown out in any of those (though they were outclassed in all 3). They beat Stanford, who isn't great but has a pulse. Toughest game left is at UT. Wouldn't be shocked if they won 4 or 5 of their last 6 games - if Skylar stays upright.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

My thoughts exactly. I think KSU will not fall to KU levels in FB and I hope for the conference's sake they can stay relevant. I don't want to see the rest of the conference decline just to lower the bar for ISU to look better. Let's face it, even with the 4 new schools coming in we still are losing a lot of street cred as a conference losing OU and Texas. I get that Cincy is currently ranked 3rd and BYU has been ranked this year but they still are no where near the level of programs as the ones we are losing.

We need the conference to stay competitive and strong top to bottom if we want the conference winner to be in the CFP picture and for seeding purposes for the NCAA basketball tournaments for that matter too. Having the bottom half of the conference not be competitive while having OK/good but not great teams at the top is not good for the conference as a whole. At the end of the day when people look at strength of schedule and quality of teams you had to play in your conference to determine where you fall in post season play you don't want a bunch of easy wins making up the bulk of your work. You want to show you have beat several teams that are quality programs otherwise you haven't really beaten anyone so what does that say about your team?

Just look at Iowa's schedule this year. They don't have to play the 3 best teams in the East right now in MSU, Michigan, and Ohio State unless they make the Big 10 championship game. Penn State and Iowa State are really their only 2 quality wins right now and their Indiana is not looking too hot now with them holding down the basement in the East with Rutger. Their remaining schedule is a combined 6-15 in the Big 10 right now. They could still win out and make the Big 10 championship game then likely get beat by Ohio State but the overall strength of conference is still going to put them in a pretty good spot for postseason play if they finish with 2 losses. I dunno how the new Big 12 will look in a similar spot nationally without OU and Texas on the schedule for anyone and your best FB teams now likely being (in not particular order) Cincy, BYU, ISU, OSU, Baylor with TCU and WVU mixing in some good years too. We need a school like KSU to stay relevant and not just be another doormat with KU for the long haul.

Reactions: CyclonePigskin

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron