Is Our Football Team At Greater Risk For Covid...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
than a lot of other teams? Other schools have mask and vaccine mandates. Our doesn't. Yes our team is pretty much vaccinated, but as we all know you can still get sick and out of commission for a few days. Delta is extremely contagious and with so many students not wearing mask, it puts our team at greater risk of having guys out week to week. Last year we were at an advantage on how our team handled Covid. This year we are at a disadvantage.

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
than a lot of other teams? Other schools have mask and vaccine mandates. Our doesn't. Yes our team is pretty much vaccinated, but as we all know you can still get sick and out of commission for a few days. Delta is extremely contagious and with so many students not wearing mask, it puts our team at greater risk of having guys out week to week. Last year we were at an advantage on how our team handled Covid. This year we are at a disadvantage.
Methinks 5 star culture will offset this, at least partially. Also, the frequency of breakthrough infections is nowhere near what social media anecdotes and anti-vaxxer, anti-masker, anti-decency lies makes them appear to be.

Last edited:

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
What are the COVID rules for this year. If your vexed but still test positive for COVID, does a player have to sit out?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
0e4pJQHeBrSLFlgkxlI8Dw6GVLxS5adK4LC_DZbl_LAgHuSYMIFb4F3UuiyYBihN17Dke_bZcvHgkCuph89dOyaSX_LXhAJuJIWiJYK9lxzNAp7h7D9zSR3z

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Methinks 5 star culture will offset this, at least partially. Also, the frequency of breakthrough infections is nowhere near what social media anecdotes and anti-vaxxer, anti-masker, anti-decency lies makes them appear to be.

Everyone would be safer if vaccinated. Masked as well. Want to protect the team, then you do these things by everyone. Absolute shame for the greatest team in history to fall victim to unsafe practices by others. Campbell gives great guidance.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Hope it goes OK...I'll be curious to see who's complaining about it if it doesn't.

The next month or two will be interesting.

• Agree
Reactions: Thorongil Clone

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I believe KCCI TV did a story a few days ago which showed a very small percentage of ISU students are wearing masks in the classroom. It's a good thing that 90+% of our team has been vaccinated.

The situation could be worse. Kirk Ferentz stated a few days ago that just under 70% of Iowa's team is vacinnated. I'd be concerned about that if I were him.

Papajets

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 26, 2014
As long as they stop testing for the virus in vaccinated people we and all of college football will be fine. If they feel the need to test vaccinated people they will find virus because the vaccine is just not yet good enough to prevent some viremia post exposure. If players are vaccinated, keep the testing materials in the lab, and we will be fine and so will the health of the players and coaches. If they start testing vaccinated people they will find virus and that will be a problem.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Weren’t we at 95% vaccinations on media day? And hoping to be 100% for opener.

If a couple aren't I'm not that concerned so long as they're being careful.

It's more the community that would be an issue. Also I'm not sure if it's been cleared up on if they're testing everyone always or only if there's symptoms.

Even with Delta (from what I've seen) 10 days out/quarantined would go way beyond the timing of when someone would be contagious or even test positive if they're vaccinated and asymptomatic.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I believe some of the isolation/quarantine recommendations have also changed from last year per CDC.

Meaning, if a guy got it, vaccinated teammates wouldn't have to isolate unless symptomatic and such. But who knows.

As others have shared, given how on top of it the training staff were last year, I'd guess they have plans to manage any risk...because we don't want to trot out Howard Brown at QB if the QB room got it :)

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

"The key distinctions in the protocols naturally fall between those players and coaches who are fully vaccinated (or have tested positive in the past 90 days) and those who are unvaccinated. The NCAA recommends not testing fully-vaccinated players and coaches unless they are symptomatic. Meanwhile, unvaccinated individuals would be tested three times week. If at least 5% of a team tests positive, all symptomatic people and close contacts will need to be tested.

Additionally, vaccinated athletes also don't have to quarantine after a close contact."

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
NOTED: Sometimes sports, politics, and reality intersect to form the perfect thread that can not be pigeonholed in to one forum.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I believe some of the isolation/quarantine recommendations have also changed from last year per CDC.

Meaning, if a guy got it, vaccinated teammates wouldn't have to isolate unless symptomatic and such. But who knows.

As others have shared, given how on top of it the training staff were last year, I'd guess they have plans to manage any risk...because we don't want to trot out Howard Brown at QB if the QB room got it :)

Saw some stuff from Bruce Arians about how he's keeping it the same as last year within the no matter the vaccination status.

Probably a pain in the ass since things were so stringent but at least it's consistent/everyone knows the drill.

Reactions: CapnCy

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
As long as they stop testing for the virus in vaccinated people we and all of college football will be fine. If they feel the need to test vaccinated people they will find virus because the vaccine is just not yet good enough to prevent some viremia post exposure. If players are vaccinated, keep the testing materials in the lab, and we will be fine and so will the health of the players and coaches. If they start testing vaccinated people they will find virus and that will be a problem.

These are great vaccines. No vaccine is 100%. None. Get the team vaccinated completely. Agree.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Most likely. It's definitely not ideal.

• Dumb
Reactions: ClonesInDallas

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I'm not at all worried about the players and the program taking care of themselves, they are going handle their sh#t, just like last year. However this year they are in a more risky environment compared to some of our competitors, so they could have an issue because of that.

• Agree
Reactions: Stormin

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
I'm not at all worried about the players and the program taking care of themselves, they are going handle their sh#t, just like last year. However this year they are in a more risky environment compared to some of our competitors, so they could have an issue because of that.
Most likely. It's definitely not ideal.
We are Cyclones. We are used to being at a disadvantage. I have faith that Campbell and staff will have things set up as well as possible to deal with the situation. Yes, it is possible that there could be an issue because of the increased risk factor.

But, it is very sad indeed that some other students and personnel are unwilling to help support the team (and more importantly society as a whole) by masking indoors and getting vaccinated. That point is well taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.