Is the Brewery era over?

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Wondering if the era of new microbreweries is at its end? What do you think?

Within the last few days, these announced closings:
- Broad Street Brewing in Rheinbeck, Iowa.
- Another Road Brewing in Marion, Iowa (uncertain about their 'new' brewing facility in Cedar Rapids)
- Rock Bottom in Des Moines (to close Feb 4).

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Like most businesses, some will make it and some won't. There will probably even be some good product ones close if they aren't in the right location, or their owners decide there are less time consuming ways to make a living.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Lol to people who consider rock bottom a brewery

Rock Bottom provided a service/product that few others offered, literally years ahead of everyone else. It really wasn't that long ago that it was cool if place had Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada or Newcastle. I vividly remember trucking back cases of Fat Tire when we were in school and when it was a score to get Boulevard in Ames.

It's easy to rip on Rock Bottom now, but them and Racoon River and Court Ave. are the only "breweries" in Des Moines that I can recall being there for about 20 years.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I agree. The article does say they were hemorrhaging $100k a year. If that is the case, then I can only imagine what Granite City is loosing.

Granite City may have a microbrewery, but they're known for being a good restaurant as well (never been to Rock Bottom personally so I can't say - I only knew about their connection to Old Chicago because my friends and I used to burn money at the one in Bettendorf). I can't imagine they're losing a ton of money. The one here in the Detroit suburbs does well.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
It’s to the point now where if you don’t serve exceptional beer or have good beer and great brewery atmosphere you won’t survive. Too many good options for mediocre operations to exist

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Rock Bottom provided a service/product that few others offered, literally years ahead of everyone else. It really wasn't that long ago that it was cool if place had Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada or Newcastle. I vividly remember trucking back cases of Fat Tire when we were in school and when it was a score to get Boulevard in Ames.

It's easy to rip on Rock Bottom now, but them and Racoon River and Court Ave. are the only "breweries" in Des Moines that I can recall being there for about 20 years.

$4 at Racoon River went a long way too

Reactions: Macloney

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I agree. The article does say they were hemorrhaging $100k a year. If that is the case, then I can only imagine what Granite City is loosing.

I can't speak for the one in DM, however the GC in CR seems to still have good crowds, despite the competition.

I've been to the Rock Bottom in Chicago far more than the one in DM and it was usually packed and decent.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I don't think the era is over but it does seem to be at a place where there are enough out there that if you don't keep upping your game people will go someplace else.

Reactions: hlb76

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
All these micro-breweries that are popular just because they are creating lots of new flavors are just a fad. Most will disappear. A good brewery like those that remain in Germany can last for centuries. And they probably average fewer newer beers in 100 years than what even Rock Bottom brewed. But they make darn good beirs.

Reactions: beentherebefore