Is the Brewery era over?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Last time I was in Olde Main, it was awful. The place was filthy. I tried three different beers and didn't like a single one. Would love to see someone take over who knows how to brew a decent beer.

Olde Main was only successful because it literally had zero competition.

I only ever liked Olde Main for their $1 beer nights and full size shuffleboard table when I was in school.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I guess I'm the exception to the rule. I've always liked Dinky wheat from old Main, but to each their own. Last time I was there was probably 2 summers ago.

I enjoyed it as well when I was in school as I was used to your standards as far as college living goes (busch light, bud light, etc). Once I expanded to drinking good beers post college, it's pretty mediocre.

Penguin

Aug 13, 2017
Ames
I enjoyed it as well when I was in school as I was used to your standards as far as college living goes (busch light, bud light, etc). Once I expanded to drinking good beers post college, it's pretty mediocre.

Dinkey Wheat is the best of the worst, only problem is that it's very inconsistent. Which is another issue with Olde Main beers. A standard like Dinkey Wheat is different every visit.

Topshelf

Jan 31, 2007
Ames, IA
So, thru the grape vine, Olde Main is for sale.
Also, there is a brewery in Carroll close to opening in an older building. Owners are also tied in to Boone Valley.
I have heard the same for Olde Main. The place is such a cool space but has to have a ton of overhead for the amount of space.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Sodbuster was fine too, but they were about the best they had to offer and were just ok. The core suffered from consistency issues and they always seem to be a mile behind what beer drinkers are looking for. Having Alluvial in town has to be putting a hurt on their beer sales.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Sodbuster was fine too, but they were about the best they had to offer and were just ok. The core suffered from consistency issues and they always seem to be a mile behind what beer drinkers are looking for. Having Alluvial in town has to be putting a hurt on their beer sales.
Well rumor always was that they bought the tanks used from Granite City's brew location or something along those lines. I guess they never cleaned out or sanitized the tanks properly before starting up.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Olde Main's biggest advantage was that the only competition they had when they opened was 45 miles away in Des Moines.

I lived in Ames from 2001 - 2006, and went back over the years for sheer nostalgia, and was a little more disappointed each time. Sometimes I'd grab some of their beer at the store, but again just wasn't overly impressed.

I think the beer scene caught up and passed them by. Adapt or die, as the saying goes?

A sad day, for my memories if nothing else :(