Is Weber out a KSU?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
So, I just saw Nijel Pack is leaving K-State. He was really close with coach Weber. I've written before that it would not be shocking to see him leave for Butler, IU, or Purdue. He's from Indy.

So, if it happens, this is a huge loss for coach Tang. But it's not a surprising one to my eye.

Nijel could have been the transitional player. All-conference, 17-points per game, good-dude-lost should not be taken lightly.

I'm guessing that K-State will return maybe three or four guys from Weber's roster. It's indeed a complete makeover now. Tang's recruiting prowess will be tested immediately.

Last edited:

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I don't think Tang will have a problem recruiting at all. I think it will be a wait and see if Tang can in game coach and coach in general. I think the hire was a solid hire though. Every new coach is going to lose some of the old players. So im not surprised. Guessing he ends up at Purdue

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY and surly

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Half of Weber's roster is now gone, six remain.

Bradford
Edwards
Ezeagu
Landers
Massoud
Nowell

I think this creates an interesting discussion. I wonder if the ease with which people can transfer will cause ADs to hold on to coaches longer than normal. I know these are different situations, but I read today LSU has 0 scholarship players left from last year's roster, and what was Prohm down to, one? Just have to wonder on one like Weber where there were arguments for and against firing him (I guess technically he stepped down...) if player retention will start to play a role.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think this creates an interesting discussion. I wonder if the ease with which people can transfer will cause ADs to hold on to coaches longer than normal. I know these are different situations, but I read today LSU has 0 scholarship players left from last year's roster, and what was Prohm down to, one? Just have to wonder on one like Weber where there were arguments for and against firing him (I guess technically he stepped down...) if player retention will start to play a role.

I think it is just the reverse. It's by no means a sure thing, but if the new coach embraces the transfer portal, they can rebuild quicker than historically. Just look at what TJ did at ISU with basically a new roster. Musselman got Arkansas righted pretty quickly. Heck you could even cite Adams with TT. Slightly different scenario- but Tech's roster was dramatically different this year and transfers helped them be a top 10-12 team.

IMO with NIL it will just become more competitive if schools can have packages lined up for prospective transfers. My guess is Nigel Pack will move to a new school with a nice NIL in hand.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Frank Martin got his first gig at K-State because he would keep Beasley and Walker. Both were recruited by Huggins, who had left for WVU. So, roster retention has always been in the mix.

K-State knew they'd likely lose Nijel Pack if they canned Weber, probably to Purdue where he has close ties with Matt Painter dating back to Matt's playing days and then as an assistant for Weber at SIU.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Landers, Massoud, and Nowell are the only K-State scholarship players remaining.
Those three, along with Nijel Pack, were the only returners who were B12 quality dudes. Devon Bradford was a huge disappointment this season mostly due to injury and illness, I think. He could be the exception. It will be interesting to see where he lands, perhaps St. Louis or maybe with coach Weber again should he take another job. Evidently, Cleveland State is in the mix for Weber.

Last edited: