ISR March to Madness thread

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
It seems for seeding the NCAA tourney that went out the window a while back. I've always wondered why the play in game teams don't get seeded 16th. I think they get seeded 12 or so don't they? Oh well I'll still watch in March and even pay more attention if the Clones are in it.
If we’re honest…any system they come up with would piss somebody off

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The starters were all out of the game with 12+ minutes remaining in the second half against Western Michigan. I'm curious when you think they should have been pulled? Sitting them for an entire half doesn't really seem like a great idea. Iowa's bench guys played almost as many minutes as the starters. Fran never has Keegan, Jordan, etc. still in the game anywhere near the end of a blowout.

Well I was sort of joking, but did you watch the Wisconsin game? Iowa was pressing the hell out of those poor walk-ons and Jorbo was draining threes after being garbage the whole game against D1 players.

And I never said "starters" vs. WMU, I said rotation players. And yes, in a game like that someone has to get mins so there's only so much you can do. But yes, Murray and other starters were in the second half up by 40 points. Now it was early, so I don't blame Fran for it. Hell, I don't blame Fran for any of these substitutions. Like I said, he's cracked the code!

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The same system that ISU fans think is flawed is also the same system that they puff their chest out and say they got 8 quad one wins and downgrade Iowa because they have none.
Yes, the system is flawed, and you could make significant changes to correct it, and it isn't going to change the overall conclusion regarding Q1 wins. Maybe ISU has 6-8, but it isn't changing dramatically. And maybe Iowa has 1 or 2 instead of 0. Correcting some of the wackiness it spits out due to net efficiencies probably isn't going to have a huge impact on how the quads shake out.

I don't think anyone can argue that NET spitting out Iowa as 21 with 0 quad 1 wins makes any sense. They are a pretty crazy outlier between analytics and results. Sorry, best win is probably Indiana at Carver. Indiana might go through the season losing every road game except Nebraska and Maryland, so that's really not much of a win.

But one thing both ISU and Iowa have going for them is avoiding bad losses. While we always seem to talk about good wins, over the years the committee has also really rewarded teams for avoiding bad losses. I suspect both teams will make it through the season without one.

• Winner
Reactions: mikeiastat

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The same system that ISU fans think is flawed is also the same system that they puff their chest out and say they got 8 quad one wins and downgrade Iowa because they have none.
Lol every system is going to have anomalies and Iowa as well as UNC seem to be just that. Both teams get to stack up wins against garbage can basketball teams and get credited for it.

It’s not just ISU fans saying it either. National media writers are saying it too.

• Agree
Reactions: Ankency and CyPunch

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI

You do realize you don't need to throw the baby out with the bath water? Nearly everyone with a brain recognizes the thunderchickens as about as extreme of an outlier as possible. Time to break out that fake ID again.

That doesn't mean that none of the data is useful when there are almost 20 data points that show ISU as a legit upper half tourney seed.

If fran wasn't a classless coach running up scores and pressing down 20 with no chance to win the metrics would leave them where everyone with a brain knows they belong. On the bubble.

Actual results have about 8 data points that show Iowa doesn't deserve to be in the top 50 and probably 10 don't warrant top 4. there are what 3 maybe 4 that show they belong. Inflating your NET by classless use of metrics will likely be seen through by the committee.

Last edited:

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I think as long as Iowa beats Nebraska and Northwestern they are in. We'll see how the committee views it though if they only end up with one quad one win.

I think if ISU wins one more, they're in with the number of quad one wins we have. Though I'd prefer to win a few more to be safe.

• Agree
Reactions: mikeiastat

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I think as long as Iowa beats Nebraska and Northwestern they are in. We'll see how the committee views it though if they only end up with one quad one win.

I think if ISU wins one more, they're in with the number of quad one wins we have. Though I'd prefer to win a few more to be safe.
Kind of how I see it. Iowa just can’t lose to those two terrible teams and they are likely good now with a road Q1 win.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Both teams are going to get in. If Iowa beats terrible Neb and NW they are going to get through the season with no bad losses, one really good win, and a few OK wins. I thought they had to win Neb, NW and one more. That’s a huge win for them today. They will be in.

ISU will get at least 2/4 and be in.

I think UNI wins the Valley tourney and gets in.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Update
Update

Iowa 17-7 Net #19 Took care of business against teams they should beat. Moved up 3 spots in the NET. Michigan this week which would be a decent W....

ISU 16-9 Net #43 Bad week....KSU was a "must win". Slipped 12 spots in the NET. Have to at least split this week against TCU and OU. The resume is still there but have to get back in the W column this week.

Drake 15-9 Net 101.....bad week down 8 in the NET....have to win MVC tourney.

UNI 13-10 Net 110....need to win MVC tourney.
Update

Iowa 19-8 Net #18 couple much needed Quad 1 wins
ISU 18-9 NET #34 up 9 spots....looking good resume wise
Drake 18-9 Net #91 up ten spots. Still need to win MVC tourney. Devries is a heck of a coach
UNI 15-10 nET #103 up 7 spots. Need to win MVC tourney

• Informative
Reactions: aobie

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Update

Update

Drake 18-9 Net #91 up ten spots. Still need to win MVC tourney. Devries is a heck of a coach
We beat Michigan state too bad that unfortunately it's just a quad 2 as it stands

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Update

Update

MSU is a Quad 2 win at this point. They dropped 6 spots after last night's beatdown. I feel Iowa should have also risen 6 spots, but oh well NET doesn't make a ton of sense sometimes.