ISR March to Madness thread

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
If it was 82 79 they absolutely could of stayed in top 30

They didn't drop much after their last 3 losses and the teams were getting bunched point wise around the NET 30. .

They were due for a decent drop either way with yet another loss. They were likely going to drop more than a spot either way.

The difference between 29 an 19 was not far enough to make a loss inconsequential.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Both teams were an 8 seed on bracket matrix today. Interested to see when it gets updated.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
UNI and Loyola for the regular season this weekend.
UNI still needs to win the MVC Tourney obviously, but they have really stepped it up 2nd half of season. 13-3 since Jan 1 and wreaking havoc in the Valley. Watched them in person this past Sunday v.s. Missouri State and they shut them down. They are limited in the paint, their best "big" is 6'6'' Noah Carter from Dubuque, and they were getting abused by a big beefy ogre for MO St. until he fouled out, but when the 3 balls are falling, they could beat damn near anyone probably. There might be better top end talent on this roster than their Sweet 16 team from a decade ago (how has it been that long already?) Former Cyclone fantasy recruit Bowen Born is a great 6th man for them right now.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
UNI still needs to win the MVC Tourney obviously, but they have really stepped it up 2nd half of season. 13-3 since Jan 1 and wreaking havoc in the Valley. Watched them in person this past Sunday v.s. Missouri State and they shut them down. They are limited in the paint, their best "big" is 6'6'' Noah Carter from Dubuque, and they were getting abused by a big beefy ogre for MO St. until he fouled out, but when the 3 balls are falling, they could beat damn near anyone probably. There might be better top end talent on this roster than their Sweet 16 team from a decade ago (how has it been that long already?) Former Cyclone fantasy recruit Bowen Born is a great 6th man for them right now.
Honestly the Valley tourney would be a fun watch.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Honestly the Valley tourney would be a fun watch.
Totally agree, always one of my favorites due to local interest and the general equality of talent amongst league members resulting in highly competitive games.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I'm not doing it for Iowa. Though I guess coincidentally they're connected. I'm just doing it for Basketball. If we're lucky enough to be that 7 I hope they aren't a 10. You don't get Tony Bennett twice in 1 year
I’m not sure UVA is quite as criminally underrated as you think. They have bad losses and a decent record in a bad league. Not sure if Bennett just doesn’t have the horses or what, but they are just an OK team.

The thing is you can only use the non con games to figure out how good the conferences are. Those non con games led to the pretty obvious conclusion that the ACC isn’t good. Therefore racking up wins in the ACC in general isn’t going to help you all that much.

Reactions: Halincandenza

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I’m not sure UVA is quite as criminally underrated as you think. They have bad losses and a decent record in a bad league. Not sure if Bennett just doesn’t have the horses or what, but they are just an OK team.

The thing is you can only use the non con games to figure out how good the conferences are. Those non con games led to the pretty obvious conclusion that the ACC isn’t good. Therefore racking up wins in the ACC in general isn’t going to help you all that much.
Beating Virginia on the road in November is not unlike ISU beating Oklahoma State on the road in January. You don't hear or see a lot of ISU fans thumping their chest over that one.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009

I get that to a degree but I feel they've made noticeable improvement. The past month they've played some of the best teams in the conference twice and won 3 of them.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I get that to a degree but I feel they've made noticeable improvement. The past month they've played some of the best teams in the conference twice and won 3 of them.
They’ve beaten Miami 2x and Duke once. That Duke win was no doubt a great win, but Miami is not some amazing win. The ACC as a whole is just pathetic this year. Seriously though if Iowa or Iowa State were in that league, they’d no doubt get 2nd and depending on how they’d do against Duke, would be contending for the title.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
They’ve beaten Miami 2x and Duke once. That Duke win was no doubt a great win, but Miami is not some amazing win. The ACC as a whole is just pathetic this year. Seriously though if Iowa or Iowa State were in that league, they’d no doubt get 2nd and depending on how they’d do against Duke, would be contending for the title.
You lost at Iowa contending with a good team.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Beating Virginia on the road in November is not unlike ISU beating Oklahoma State on the road in January. You don't hear or see a lot of ISU fans thumping their chest over that one.

Actually one is a quad 1 win and another is a quad 2 win, so it's a fairly significant difference.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Teams improving as the year goes on is usually more that they just get into league play in a weak conference. Obviously teams improve through the year at different rates, but more often than not you'll see teams from bad to mediocre conferences "improve" once they get into conference play, teams in brutal conferences slide or struggle from non-con to league play.

Virginia is not a bad team. But they aren't a good team either. I think you are letting the fact that they are a good program with a great coach in what is historically a great league give them more credit than they deserve. They simply aren't that good this year.