ISR March to Madness thread

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
One is a human poll/popularity contest. The other is a computer poll. They are both a lot different.
Got it so according to the computers Iowa is a great team but according to popularity they had to sweat out a win against the worst team in P5 this year. Sure sure.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
We aren't really arguing because I've said on here before I think SOR is the best and fairest tool to use of everything out there. I find it hypocritical that people point to NET of Iowa's opponents or Kenpom like in this particular message but then disregard Iowa's rank In those tools. SOR is the best though

Again, NET is the only one that breaks out the W/L by quad. Unless you want to go through the entire ranking of every team Iowa has played every time it’s just the easiest to use.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Again, NET is the only one that breaks out the W/L by quad. Unless you want to go through the entire ranking of every team Iowa has played every time it’s just the easiest to use.
Yes but that'd be easy to break it down with any metric or tool if they wanted. I went through it in 2 minutes and if SOR was used which we prefer Iowa would be at 3 Quad 1 wins (ohio state #15, Michigan State 26, and Virginia #62) Minnesota would be next team left out of top 75 at #76 for a potential 4th quad 1 win.

Reactions: iahawks

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I feel both teams are now playing for seeding. Who would have thought that for either team entering the season. Both teams have far exceeded expectations.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yes but that'd be easy to break it down with any metric or tool if they wanted. I went through it in 2 minutes and if SOR was used which we prefer Iowa would be at 3 Quad 1 wins (ohio state #15, Michigan State 26, and Virginia #62) Minnesota would be next team left out of top 75 at #76 for a potential 4th quad 1 win.

They could do it that way, but they don't.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
What’s ISU’s quad one record with this metric?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I feel both teams are now playing for seeding. Who would have thought that for either team entering the season. Both teams have far exceeded expectations.

I thought Murray was their most talented player last year so with at least experience returning around him they could be decent.

Completely wild for ISU though.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
What’s ISU’s quad one record with this metric?
6 I think with #10 TT, #22 Texas, neutral #44 Xavier, @#35 TCU, @37 creighton, and @#74 Oklahoma state which would be close to falling out. Iowa at #32 would be bordering quad 1 though

• Informative
Reactions: iahawks

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Kenpom another one that has Iowa in the teens. Is that one trustworthy or just for measuring the opponents?
It’s good for what it is, teams that when they win, they win big, and when they lose they lose close fare well.

Iowa has typically been ranked high in KP beyond what the actual on court results have been under Fran. Probably a combo of having a super high strung coach and a few years of having their best players like White, Marble, and Uthoff being too willing to defer rather than take over. Seems like Keegan did that a bit but seems to be more aggressive down the stretch now when they need him to take over.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
It’s good for what it is, teams that when they win, they win big, and when they lose they lose close fare well.

Iowa has typically been ranked high in KP beyond what the actual on court results have been under Fran. Probably a combo of having a super high strung coach and a few years of having their best players like White, Marble, and Uthoff being too willing to defer rather than take over. Seems like Keegan did that a bit but seems to be more aggressive down the stretch now when they need him to take over.
He's definitely more agressive than a Uthoff who just didn't have the killer mindset. White was limited in halfcourt so I don't think it would of been a good thing to be trying to score at 3 levels like Murray can. Kris has been the man in 2nd halves lately. Seems like at half every game now he has about 3 points and ends up with something like 14 to 18 points

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
ISU moved down 7 spots in NET and is now at 42.
Iowa moved up a spot and is now at 17.
Horrific game for Iowa State last night. Won't do much though outside of probably solidified we won't be a 6 seed. Play well in the next two games (or win one) and we'll probably be a 7 seed. Play poorly and we're looking at the 8/9 slot unfortunately.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Horrific game for Iowa State last night. Won't do much though outside of probably solidified we won't be a 6 seed. Play well in the next two games (or win one) and we'll probably be a 7 seed. Play poorly and we're looking at the 8/9 slot unfortunately.
Iowa has a big game tonight to try and avoid the 8/9 slot.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Iowa has a big game tonight to try and avoid the 8/9 slot.
Yeah I agree I think Iowa needs two more wins to avoid that. Michigan on the other hand needs to pick up a win. They're sitting at 16-12 with only 3 more guaranteed opportunities to pick up two more wins. They will not get in with 17 wins.