ISU Alums - Your favorite professor at ISU

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
Saw the article this week about salaries at ISU and it got me to thinking about all of the great professors I learned from in my time there.

One of the best teachers I've ever had was Dr. Alan Wilt. He made every class a joy to attend by the manner in which he presented the material. When it came to work, he always pushed me to do better. He reminded me a lot of my dad. I was profoundly sad when I found out that he had passed away.

ISU alums - who was your favorite prof at ISU and why?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Saw the article this week about salaries at ISU and it got me to thinking about all of the great professors I learned from in my time there.

One of the best teachers I've ever had was Dr. Alan Wilt. He made every class a joy to attend by the manner in which he presented the material. When it came to work, he always pushed me to do better. He reminded me a lot of my dad. I was profoundly sad when I found out that he had passed away.

ISU alums - who was your favorite prof at ISU and why?

Dr. Wilt was right up there.

I really enjoyed a whole bunch of profs, but I'm nerdy like that. And at any moment, the Kottman conversation will begin.......:smile:

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I enjoyed Dr. Bosselman in the Hotel Restaurant Institution Management department. Unfortunately this is only a minor and I have yet to find anyone that I truly enjoyed in my Major, Finance.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
My two favorites would have to be Stewart Burger who I had for HRI 383 (Intro to Beverages) but it may have just been because he told me that I "need to drink more" and was actually referring to alcohol.

Also up there would be Barbara Mack who I had for JLMC 460 (Communications Law). While she was incredibly scary and intimidating, she did have a ton of fun stories and quotes that aren't repeatable here on CF.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
My two favorites would have to be Stewart Burger who I had for HRI 383 (Intro to Beverages) but it may have just been because he told me that I "need to drink more" and was actually referring to alcohol.

Burger is cool as well, but I didn't think we was the best lecturer I've had. He teaches a cool class though :smile:

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
For the old timers, Dr. K. and Dr T. I will be very suprised in anyone knows thier names. Dr. K turned me around and got me back on the right course for taking college seriously.

Last edited:

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Dr. Mark Power. Finance professor. I took FIN 361 and 462 with him. Really gets to know his students and truly cares.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
Burger is cool as well, but I didn't think we was the best lecturer I've had. He teaches a cool class though :smile:

Oh completely agree I hated the lectures but there was definitely a benefit to sticking around for the end of class :smile: I usually just sat in the back row on my ipod touch surfing CycloneFanatic

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
Not an alum, but so far probably Larry Curtis in Acct 215, Bryan Belknap in Phil 230 (sad that he's no longer teaching here), and probably Gillette in ExSp/Kin 372.

--Curtis was challenging but had great stories, and his background made him able to relate the class material to the real world very effectively.
--Belknap had great stories, and made a tough subject pretty easy.
--Gillette, another one who makes a fairly tough subject much easier to understand. WANTS you to do well.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Oh completely agree I hated the lectures but there was definitely a benefit to sticking around for the end of class :smile: I usually just sat in the back row on my ipod touch surfing CycloneFanatic

I sat in the back to, but I actually tried to listen. It didn't work to well and I would tend to think about what was coming in the second part of class.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
I sat in the back to, but I actually tried to listen. It didn't work to well and I would tend to think about what was coming in the second part of class.

Thats what kept me going. I still remember the day we tasted the Whiskeys and my roommate decided he was too tired to go to class. I made fun of him for weeks for missing the single greatest class day ever

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Fred Choobineh - MIS 330 anyone that has taken his class will say he's one of the most fun profs you'll ever have
Jeffrey Kaufman - MGMT he's no longer at ISU I think but one of the profs that cared more about teaching than he did research which showed in the classroom and I have to say I learned more from his class than any I took at ISU
Larry Curtis- ACT 215 He teaches it as it is, not by the book but real life examples and back it with real stories and cases