ISU baseball team

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
How does womens T&F/XC bring in almost 3/4 a million bucks? Where is that revenue coming from?
ISU indoor facility hosts 3-4 meets a year that brings in alot of teams plus the IHSAA/IGHSAU pays ISU to use facility for indoor meet

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
ISU indoor facility hosts 3-4 meets a year that brings in alot of teams plus the IHSAA/IGHSAU pays ISU to use facility for indoor meet
OH ok. That makes sense. I wasn't thinking about that the right way. I was thinking of attendance revenue via fans.

Reactions: Messi

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
You have a point there but I would love to hear what is preventing ISU from bringing the sport back other than Pollard just doesn't want to.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Where are you going to play?

February - March you are on the road. April you are completely weather dependent.

Iowa baseball lost $2.6 million last year. On what planet is it in Iowa State's best interest financially to bring back a program that is going to lose (most likely) more than that every year?

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Does ISU still have a club hockey team?
Yeah and they are pretty dominant, they have something like 18 final fours and were the first club hockey team to ever appear on espn3. I used to go to games in college and they were always packed and some people even tailgated in the parking lot.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
My guess is they would get absolutely trucked if they played other conference schools.
I'm sure of that. I'm guessing they'd be somewhere like a D-2 or D-3. My guess is a lot of players that could've played D2 or D3 and opted to just go to school and got the itch to play.

Hell, when ISU had a scholarship baseball team we got trucked by conference schools.

1TwistedCyclone

Jan 16, 2024
Cedar Falls
This thread makes me kinda sad. Especially considering the talent of some of the Big 12 baseball teams. In my head, that alone would pull ISU up, and potentially add something else to be better than the squawk-eyes at; increasing my overall satisfaction.

• Optimistic
Reactions: NWICY

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
Yeah and they are pretty dominant, they have something like 18 final fours and were the first club hockey team to ever appear on espn3. I used to go to games in college and they were always packed and some people even tailgated in the parking lot.
I worked at the Ice Arena when I was in school, those games were always packed and rowdy, just an absolute blast for everyone in attendance.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
The championship trophy (Murdoch Cup) is named after a former Iowa State coach (ala Lombardi trophy). They were in championship match 8 times, won 2, but had to vacate 1999 so officially only 1 as a Div 1 club. They have 1 runner up finish since dropping to Div 2 club.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
It's annoying how people bring up the fact that baseball doesn't make money as if literally every sport but football/men's basketball doesn't as well.

Fact of the matter is that not having a major men's sports team to root for this time of year sucks, being the only one in the conference without it is embarrassing, and most frustrating of all, there's no good reason for not having it.

If BYU. Utah, Cincinnati, and West Virginia can figure out how to make it happen, then we should be able to as well.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
It's annoying how people bring up the fact that baseball doesn't make money as if literally every sport but football/men's basketball doesn't as well.

Fact of the matter is that not having a major men's sports team to root for this time of year sucks, being the only one in the conference without it is embarrassing, and most frustrating of all, there's no good reason for not having it.

If BYU. Utah, Cincinnati, and West Virginia can figure out how to make it happen, then we should be able to as well.
BYU, Utah and Cincy do not have wrestling
WVU does not have XC/T&F

thats how they make baseball work

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017

Money runs this world of college athletics, and we aren't in the SEC or Big Ten and have ZERO idea what the future holds. Adding a sport that loses that much money would get someone like JP fired at a company.

Those other sports we have are already in place and some are Title IX issues. With the times we are in, I am sure JP (and the other ADs in the conference) would love to get rid of a few of them because we are approaching the time where these athletic departments are going to have to pay players directly/they become employees and the like.

• Winner
Reactions: jdubs and Messi

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

More like opinion of the matter.

I wonder how many Colorado fans give a **** about not having baseball. Or Wisconsin fans.

Why is there no outcry about all of the schools that don't have wrestling? Or about Oklahoma State being the only Big 12 school without volleyball?

Since it's spring, maybe we should poll Cincy, K-State, TCU and WVU fans about not having softball. I'm sure they're up in arms about that.

Reactions: MTCyclone43

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
More like opinion of the matter.

I wonder how many Colorado fans give a **** about not having baseball. Or Wisconsin fans.

Why is there no outcry about all of the schools that don't have wrestling? Or about Oklahoma State being the only Big 12 school without volleyball?

Since it's spring, maybe we should poll Cincy, K-State, TCU and WVU fans about not having softball. I'm sure they're up in arms about that.
None of those are the third most watched college sport and as integral to the fabric of America as baseball has been.

• Haha
Reactions: jdubs