ISU baseball team

jdubs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2011
I think Arizona State has a D1 hockey program. Many of the D1 hockey programs are not D1 in other sports.
The only reason ASU has it is some monster donor literally funded it himself. I can't remember if his son was on the team or not. They're a relatively new program around 10 years old.

Baseball fans get way too emotional about not having a team. Adding a baseball team means adding a team that loses revenue and probably adding a women's team (whatever sport) that also loses money to balance the title IX numbers. We aren't in a position to lose money on purpose and I have no idea why so many people are advocating for a program that was, and would be a perennial loser.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
No one is fighting for less Iowa State teams to root for. I love baseball but Iowa State bringing back a sport to lose 3+ million a year AND get its ass handed too it is bad business.

This isn't Big Ten baseball where everyone is at a weather disadvantage...
I wonder if adding the PAC 12 schools changes the nuances of the Big Ten.

It doesn’t appear that the schools that joined Big Ten are the strength of the current PAC 12 conference.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
More like opinion of the matter.

I wonder how many Colorado fans give a **** about not having baseball. Or Wisconsin fans.

Why is there no outcry about all of the schools that don't have wrestling? Or about Oklahoma State being the only Big 12 school without volleyball?

Since it's spring, maybe we should poll Cincy, K-State, TCU and WVU fans about not having softball. I'm sure they're up in arms about that.
It was a fun side story last yr WVU baseball "adopted" ISU SB for part of the season.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I

Nobody went to football or women's basketball games back then either.
FB has had decent attendance for a long time. Wbb only since the Fenelly era. I never attended a single wbb game during my college yrs.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I went to a couple each year, just to sit in the sun on beautiful spring days. Didn't even pay attention to the games but sun, girls (hopefully) and relaxation. Sign me up.

The few games I went to same theory, I believe 90% of the girls there were GFs of the BB players. Did make for better scenery though.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

I didn't realize they actually did some renovations to Capp Timm field less than 10 years ago. I knew it was in bad shape at one point.
The rehab was a collaboration of the BB club and several dept undergrad programs working together. My niece was pretty involved in it. I saw it the yr they finished it haven't seen it lately. It looked really nice when finished. Nothing like the SB stadium that got built but really nice.

Reactions: CYdTracked

Cyghhh

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 18, 2022
I wonder if Yormark has had any conversations with Pollard about bringing back the baseball program. The Big 12 has been adding in more schools with baseball programs, we currently are the only school of the current 14 without one. I know it has been said there has been donor money offered to fund the program if we bring it back too so that's not an issue.
I wish we could afford it, I love baseball. And I'd rather watch the Cyclones play baseball than the White Sox this year...it's been rough.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Seems to me Ames could support a Class A team. It would be in the city's best interest to team up with the university to build a 10-12,000 seat complex. Women's wrestling could balance out the title IX issues.

• Haha
Reactions: simply1

BleedCycloneRed

Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
My son played Club Baseball for 4 years at University of Illinois (Champaign Urbana) so through that I found out some of how they operate. No funding from the university, they pay all their own costs using fundraisers and their own (or their parent's) checkbooks. Quantity of play is about D2/D3 or quality junior college. For example, my son was an all state pitcher and selected caption of the county all star team here in the Chicagoland area. Good friend of his played at Augustana freshmen year then transferred to U of I and played club ball.
Teams play in various conferences (U of I was in Great Lakes Conference with 6 teams) Similar to soccer, bottom team get dropped down a league and winner of that league gets moved up. Play each conference member for 3 games over a weekend in the spring. Winning teams advanced to year end regional tournament, and winner of that advances to Club baseball world series (Illini won the league all four years he played and twice advanced to the world series during my son's tenure).
Great experience for the kids. My son met some of his best friends from this experience, was able to address his desire to continue to play (but without the commitment of being a full time athlete), and still graduate in 4 years.
Good luck to the Cyclones club baseball team, Hope they can make it to the Club baseball world series along (with the Illini).

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Seems to me Ames could support a Class A team. It would be in the city's best interest to team up with the university to build a 10-12,000 seat complex. Women's wrestling could balance out the title IX issues.

No chance at High A moving a team here and even less of a chance a team moves its Low A to Ames... Come on now.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

The triple-A team in Des Moines averages 6,000 but Ames could do better with a single-A club?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Cedar Rapids is less than 5,500. There is not a single MLB franchise that would pack up their operation and move it to Ames, Iowa.
New facilities do wonders.

Couple years ago my son played a HS tournament in Waterloo at the independent league team played. Wasn't much to it. Comparable to Carroll. Is that where their minor league team played?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron