ISU Gambling Megathread

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

There is some really interesting stuff in this interview. For instance, how much worse is it that the agents seem to have not allowed the athletes to consult an attorney before giving over their phones.

The more I hear about the incidents, the less I think there will ever be a trial in which full details are presented. The state will be settling pretty fast.

ozzie8

Apr 30, 2008
There is some really interesting stuff in this interview. For instance, how much worse is it that the agents seem to have not allowed the athletes to consult an attorney before giving over their phones.

The more I hear about the incidents, the less I think there will ever be a trial in which full details are presented. The state will be settling pretty fast.

They did it to all of them early in the morning. Bullied 19-21 year old college kids to handing over the phones.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Part of those plea deals was the kids couldn’t come back and sue the DCI. That’s how dirty the DCI knew this was. Good thing a few didn’t sign the agreement or none of this would be out
IANAL, but I would think a good lawyer could get their client out of a plea deal that was agreed upon using illegally obtained evidence. Would habeas corpus apply to being wrongfully treated in a plea agreement, or does that only apply to unlawful imprisonment?

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I hope every single athlete and employee that were financially and reputationally injured in this are sitting on a beach somewhere nice with all the money they could ever want at the State of Iowa's expense in the near future.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
It appears agents for the state of Iowa did illegal things. It’s a fact the state has a surplus. It appears a sizable settlement will be the end result. Those things are not political.

Move on.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
By taking "a piece of the action" you wouldn't be sticking it to the DCI, I'm afraid you'd be sticking it to the taxpayers of Iowa.
Kimmie is always bragging about her surplus while trampling on the common Iowan now one of her overenthusiastic enforcers get caught they deserve to pay.
Unless he gets time he'll still be in law enforcement when this is all said and done. That is the way it ends up more often than not.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
At this point I don't know if I would trust what the DCI says. Regardless of if someone was a gambler, just the thought that they were collecting information. I don't know how the GeoFence works, if it collects specific "gambling information" , or collects all information, and then gets separated from there.
Geofencing can be used for lots of things, it is really good at targeting people for advertising. Had a guy explain to me how his company targeted a event then texted event attendees with links to their company's product. (I think I have this right)

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
IANAL, but I would think a good lawyer could get their client out of a plea deal that was agreed upon using illegally obtained evidence. Would habeas corpus apply to being wrongfully treated in a plea agreement, or does that only apply to unlawful imprisonment?
IANAL…I wonder if that license plate is available in Iowa.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron