ISU Gambling Megathread

Shouse62

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
My brain can’t comprehend. So can Dekkers, Brock, Lee, etc play again? Or does ncaa still ban them?

• Dumb
Reactions: isufbcurt

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
My brain can’t comprehend. So can Dekkers, Brock, Lee, etc play again? Or does ncaa still ban them?

I doubt it. The NCAA's decisions are independent of criminal matters. Once that information became public, the NCAA was free to make decisions based on it.

All the more reason for players like them to look into if they have a case on this. Without the illegally obtained information, this never becomes public and they don't face NCAA consequences.

Though i'd be curious if any of that was negotiated into the state agreeing to drop the charges.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
IMO they don't agree to drop the charges without first deciding who will take the blame for it, so expect another Friday news release in the next couple weeks. And don't get your hopes up too much, one maybe two heads roll for this at most.

ljm4cy

Apr 26, 2014
One unexpected outcome of this case is the geolocating firm is apparently no longer cooperating with the prosecutors. All I can think of is the firm had serious doubts of the legality of the State's actions and believed its cooperation would subject it to civil liability.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Though the ones who already pleaded kind of got screwed still.
I don't know anything about the law in this matter, but I wonder if they could contest their guilty pleas based on newly discovered evidence that was suppressed by the prosecution in the matter? I know I've heard of guilty please being rescinded, I just don't know how or in what context.

Reactions: DurangoCy

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
While the actions of the DCI are obviously bad, the county attorney may wind up coming out looking even worse. When the constitutional violations are so bad you don’t even bother trying to argue your position on a Motion to Surpress, maybe you shouldn’t have brought the charges. Maybe before you very publicly ruin peoples lives you should, I don’t know, look into the circumstances that led to the evidence being obtained…?

Dismissing based on newly acquired evidence that they could have found on their own prior to charging if they performed even an ounce of diligence.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
While the actions of the DCI are obviously bad, the county attorney may wind up coming out looking even worse. When the constitutional violations are so bad you don’t even bother trying to argue your position on a Motion to Surpress, maybe you shouldn’t have brought the charges. Maybe before you very publicly ruin peoples lives you should, I don’t know, look into the circumstances that led to the evidence being obtained…?

And even from the start it seemed like they were going extremely heavy-handed with the charges they were filing. "Tampering with records" wasn't meant for something like this

• Winner
  • Dumb
Reactions: isufbcurt and Gorm

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I doubt it. The NCAA's decisions are independent of criminal matters. Once that information became public, the NCAA was free to make decisions based on it.

All the more reason for players like them to look into if they have a case on this. Without the illegally obtained information, this never becomes public and they don't face NCAA consequences.

Though i'd be curious if any of that was negotiated into the state agreeing to drop the charges.

Since when does the NCAA have power any more? In there mind it all starts with "Guilty until proven innocent". I hope they go after the people the people that dug this whole thing up from the start. We all know someone was trying to get back at someone here.

Last edited:

cy4state

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2017
Nevada, IA
I don't know anything about the law in this matter, but I wonder if they could contest their guilty pleas based on newly discovered evidence that was suppressed by the prosecution in the matter? I know I've heard of guilty please being rescinded, I just don't know how or in what context.
On Murph and Andy, they had the athletes Lawyer on. He said he feels bad for the athletes who already plead guilty because he didn't believe they would be able to rescind it.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
On Murph and Andy, they had the athletes Lawyer on. He said he feels bad for the athletes who already plead guilty because he didn't believe they would be able to rescind it.
Good news is they can still be part of the civil lawsuit against the state and the bad actors.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I'd venture to guess the lawyers that advised them to plead guilty may have gotten a phone call or two today.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Nah. Respect is earned. Not given. Just because they have a badge does NOT make them a good person.
They’ve proven time and time again they’ll do ANYTHING for an arrest.
Being courteous and respectful towards law enforcement is for the benefit of the citizen, it’s not about how you, I, or anyone else feels about law enforcement. We’ve seen time and time again what can happen when interactions with law enforcement gets escalated. Anything a citizen can do to prevent that from happening, while not giving up their rights, is in their best interests.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and Pat

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
One unexpected outcome of this case is the geolocating firm is apparently no longer cooperating with the prosecutors. All I can think of is the firm had serious doubts of the legality of the State's actions and believed its cooperation would subject it to civil liability.
The state will probably start pointing fingers at the geolocating firm and the firm will rat out the state. Even though I'm an Iowa tax payer on the hook for damages, I can't wait for the lawsuits to be filed and the discovery to be made public.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
The state will probably start pointing fingers at the geolocating firm and the firm will rat out the state. Even though I'm an Iowa tax payer on the hook for damages, I can't wait for the lawsuits to be filed and the discovery to be made public.
Which is why the state will settle before it gets near a courtroom.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron