ISU Gambling Megathread

Cyghhh

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 18, 2022

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
man, I know gambling apps are regulated, but knowing when one is just opened up seems like a lot of info to give to government agents.

Yet, there’s nothing illegal about opening the app or even having it downloaded on your phone regardless of whether you are of age. It is only illegal to place wagers. Just opening the app is not evidence that you are breaking the law and is not enough to obtain a search warrant.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Just a friendly reminder to always be courteous and respectful to law enforcement, but you should almost never allow them access to your vehicle, home, or personal devices without a warrant. Also, I would never submit to law enforcement questioning without an attorney present except for very basic on location questioning, like a traffic stop, and even then I would keep it quite limited.

Last edited:

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
What was the purpose of this release? They do nothing to address the current charge, that DCI agents unlawfully accessed personal data in order to create a basis for a legal charge, outside of noting they ran it by their legal counsel at some point. Other than that, everything in the statement is stipulating facts: DPS is responsible for ensuring licensees follow gambling law. Sports gambling apps have data to track users. DCI got the data from the licensees. Everyone knew all of this. The propriety of using that information in the manner they did is what is in question and it goes completely unaddressed once again.

They are going to have to do better than that I think. But this is a signal that some pressure is being applied to DPS/DCI.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Just a friendly reminder to always be curious and respectful to law enforcement, but your should almost never allow them access to your vehicle, home, or personal devices without a warrant. Also, I would never submit to law enforcement questioning without an attorney present except for very basic on location questioning, like a traffic stop, and even then I would keep it quite limited.

I thought the only things you were supposed to say to law enforcement was that you were afraid for your life and you want to talk to an attorney. In that order.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Saw an AP story titled,

Athletes in Iowa State gambling sting say evidence was seized illegally and cases should be tossed.​

Says Jirehl Brock, Uwazurike, Isaiah Lee and Paniro Johnson all filed for the cases to be thrown out. DCI failed to read them their rights, and obtained evidence illegally. Now wait and see.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Saw an AP story titled,

Athletes in Iowa State gambling sting say evidence was seized illegally and cases should be tossed.​

Says Jirehl Brock, Uwazurike, Isaiah Lee and Paniro Johnson all filed for the cases to be thrown out. DCI failed to read them their rights, and obtained evidence illegally. Now wait and see.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Just a friendly reminder to always be courteous and respectful to law enforcement, but you should almost never allow them access to your vehicle, home, or personal devices without a warrant. Also, I would never submit to law enforcement questioning without an attorney present except for very basic on location questioning, like a traffic stop, and even then I would keep it quite limited.
User name checks out

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Nah. Respect is earned. Not given. Just because they have a badge does NOT make them a good person.
They’ve proven time and time again they’ll do ANYTHING for an arrest.

cyclones122

Oct 3, 2009
Arlington, VA
First thing that should happen is an independent investigation and the termination of every single person at DCI that approved any part of this investigation or knew that it was being handled the way it was (i.e. illegally). They should be fired for cause and no state benefits or pension allowed. And their names should be released publicly. They should face the same public shame and scrutiny that these athletes did.

Second, the state better start trying to reach monetary deals with these athletes before they sue the State and DCI into oblivion. Imagine the discovery they will be able to get in a civil suit.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron