ISU Gambling Megathread

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Might be a dumb question but can those guys play at ISU again now? Or any NCAA school?

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Being courteous and respectful towards law enforcement is for the benefit of the citizen, it’s not about how you, I, or anyone else feels about law enforcement. We’ve seen time and time again what can happen when interactions with law enforcement gets escalated. Anything a citizen can do to prevent that from happening, while not giving up their rights, is in their best interests.

Sure. But when they have an ego the size of Texas and don’t respect YOU. There’s an issue. I’ve seen and heard far too many instances where cops rush decisions. Get caught. Then sued. And nothing happens other than an Oopsie poopsies. Don’t do that again. **** needs to change In law enforcement. It’s painfully clear they have ZERO comprehension of the constitution or even laws they enforce.

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
What's more interesting, however, is who is going to be sued, who is going to be held liable, and exactly how much money is the going to cost Iowans, ultimately, especially if ANY of the players (not just these 4) can argue that the DCI unconstitutionally deprived them of future NIL, pay-to-play or NFL or other pro earnings because of this unlawful wiretapping.

This goes way beyond questions of reinstatement, or some heads rolling at DCI. There is potentially a class/group action with millions in income and damages (taxpayer financed of course)...per student here.

Thank you DCI for protecting your citizens yet again. So grateful for your service. Next time just call me for a donation, m'kay?

ozzie8

Apr 30, 2008
Can they? I thought I read that part of the plea deal was a waiver of their ability to sue the state?

It was, but they’ve all lawyered up and those plea agreements will be tossed. They also intimidated these kids into signing these and took full advantage of them wanting this behind them. The state knew what they did and that’s why they pressed so hard to get these pleas signed. Good thing a few kids refused to sign.

Last edited:

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Sure. But when they have an ego the size of Texas and don’t respect YOU. There’s an issue. I’ve seen and heard far too many instances where cops rush decisions. Get caught. Then sued. And nothing happens other than an Oopsie poopsies. Don’t do that again. **** needs to change In law enforcement. It’s painfully clear they have ZERO comprehension of the constitution or even laws they enforce.
Police training is not nearly comprehensive enough for what us asked of them
In my opinion most divisions of law enforcement have woefully low training requirements for what is asked of them. A person with a bachelor's degree in fine art can become a dci agent with the completion of 4 month academy training and 6 months of field training. Any bachelor's degree and 1 year of training Detectiveedu.org/iowa/

To get a full time job teaching art at a university for that same fine art degree holder, they would have to get a masters degree and (generally) have 2+years of adjunct work for **** pay, and then have a plump cv of publications and exhibitions. 3-5 extra years of additional traning and an additional degree. To teach art to 17-24 year olds.

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
While this decision does indicate that civil rights of some of these athletes have been violated, the Iowa Tort Claims Act does limit the amount of punitive damages that can be assessed to state agencies.

A settlement will be for compensatory damages. For the professional athlete, I assume who has an agent, this amount will be easy to prove. He has a contract, and an agent should be able to document how this hurts potential future contracts.

The athletes that were still in college will be a much different story. The price of their scholarships wont be too hard to figure out. As most of the people on these forums are aware, there are no rules regarding NIL. It will be much harder to prove what NIL money these athletes lost as a result of this investigation.

Also, in cases like this it seldom goes to trial. The state will settle out of court with the plaintiffs and we will never hear the amount. The story will read something like this. "The State of Iowa and (insert athletes name here) have agreed to settle this out of court. The terms of the settlement will not be disclosed, and the State admits no wrong doing."

As a fan, I am quite frustrated with the NCAA on this. The NCAA has ended student athlete careers as a result of this scam investigation, however the FBI conducts a legitimate investigation on a Big 12 basketball coach, catches him red handed on tape cheating, and still nothing happens to him.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Police training is not nearly comprehensive enough for what us asked of them

In my opinion most divisions of law enforcement have woefully low training requirements for what is asked of them. A person with a bachelor's degree in fine art can become a dci agent with the completion of 4 month academy training and 6 months of field training. Any bachelor's degree and 1 year of training Detectiveedu.org/iowa/

To get a full time job teaching art at a university for that same fine art degree holder, they would have to get a masters degree and (generally) have 2+years of adjunct work for **** pay, and then have a plump cv of publications and exhibitions. 3-5 extra years of additional traning and an additional degree. To teach art to 17-24 year olds.

BINGOOOOOOOOO.

Mar 21, 2021
Who does law enforcement work for? What is the source of funding for their salaries, pensions, fancy rigs, etc.?

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Who does law enforcement work for? What is the source of funding for their salaries, pensions, fancy rigs, etc.?
Ask them that question, their answers will not shock you.

Are there good cops? sure, but a good cop should STOP a bad cop from doing something bad. THAT's my issue with policing. Good cops aren't speaking up. Blue Wall of Silence.

• Agree
Reactions: drmwevr08

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
While this decision does indicate that civil rights of some of these athletes have been violated, the Iowa Tort Claims Act does limit the amount of punitive damages that can be assessed to state agencies.

A settlement will be for compensatory damages. For the professional athlete, I assume who has an agent, this amount will be easy to prove. He has a contract, and an agent should be able to document how this hurts potential future contracts.

The athletes that were still in college will be a much different story. The price of their scholarships wont be too hard to figure out. As most of the people on these forums are aware, there are no rules regarding NIL. It will be much harder to prove what NIL money these athletes lost as a result of this investigation.

Also, in cases like this it seldom goes to trial. The state will settle out of court with the plaintiffs and we will never hear the amount. The story will read something like this. "The State of Iowa and (insert athletes name here) have agreed to settle this out of court. The terms of the settlement will not be disclosed, and the State admits no wrong doing."

As a fan, I am quite frustrated with the NCAA on this. The NCAA has ended student athlete careers as a result of this scam investigation, however the FBI conducts a legitimate investigation on a Big 12 basketball coach, catches him red handed on tape cheating, and still nothing happens to him.
Well that's a shame I'm good with them getting a big check from us. I still bet the idiot that did this is still in law enforcement in 3 yrs.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I don’t forget that these scholarship athletes were told by the coach & AD not to gamble. BUT, the DCI is completely at fault and a year of eligibility was lost along with potential future income. The DCI should be held accountable and the NCAA should grant a year of eligibility. Enyi is different, the NFL does not want players gambling on football and the hint of fixing games. Meanwhile they move the Raiders to Vegas and hold the SB there while exploiting the gambling environment. It’s all out of control. I wonder if Bubu wants to chime in.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Van Plumb doesn't seem like a guy that is going to settle and he shouldn't.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
I don’t forget that these scholarship athletes were told by the coach & AD not to gamble. BUT, the DCI is completely at fault and a year of eligibility was lost along with potential future income. The DCI should be held accountable and the NCAA should grant a year of eligibility. Enyi is different, the NFL does not want players gambling on football and the hint of fixing games. Meanwhile they move the Raiders to Vegas and hold the SB there while exploiting the gambling environment. It’s all out of control. I wonder if Bubu wants to chime in.
While I see your point on NFL gambling, he was suspended for a year(by the NFL) because of actions he did at ISU, not after he joined the NFL!

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
The best part is that our state government dragged the largest university threw the mud for NOTHING.
Bravo.