*** ISU @ KU ***

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
rep to anyone who can find it but this will be the 9th straight ncaa appearance for ISU. Not sure how many teams been in the last 9 tourneys outside of the usual wbb powerhouses.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Thirteen teams have current streaks of 8 or more. Three are current Big XII and A&M was. I was a little surprised that only Marist falls into the possible category of a big fish in a small pond. e.g. Fresno State has 7 first round exits.
Vandy 15
TAM 9
Tenn 33
Stanford 27
OU 15
ND 19
BU 11
UConn 26
DePaul 12
Duke 20
Ga 20
Marist 9
ISU 8
(in case you wonder Ia has 7)

I'm sure MRED or someone else can find a source, I counted.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_W...all_Championship#Result_by_school_and_by_year

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Thirteen teams have current streaks of 8 or more. Three are current Big XII and A&M was. I was a little surprised that only Marist falls into the possible category of a big fish in a small pond. e.g. Fresno State has 7 first round exits.
Vandy 15
TAM 9
Tenn 33
Stanford 27
OU 15
ND 19
BU 11
UConn 26
DePaul 12
Duke 20
Ga 20
Marist 9
ISU 8
(in case you wonder Ia has 7)

I'm sure MRED or someone else can find a source, I counted.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_W...all_Championship#Result_by_school_and_by_year

Marist and Vanderbilt are likely out this year. Georgia is likely on the bubble after losing 8 straight games and falling to 18-11.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Marist and Vanderbilt are likely out this year. Georgia is likely on the bubble after losing 8 straight games and falling to 18-11.
Vandy has good to great recruiting year-in, year-out. Seeing them slide out of March Madness selection is surprising.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Vandy has good to great recruiting year-in, year-out. Seeing them slide out of March Madness selection is surprising.

Candy's young though with Dahlman and Goudreau twins being frosh , and has been playing with line up changes all year. They are just a bit undersized for the behemoth lineups of the SEC.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
Disappointing loss to say the least - however, the latest bracketology had us as a 10 seed - We do NOT want to move up to an 8 or 9. In fact, it would be better to move to an 11 or 12. Sweet Sixteen run would be easier that way.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Disappointing loss to say the least - however, the latest bracketology had us as a 10 seed - We do NOT want to move up to an 8 or 9. In fact, it would be better to move to an 11 or 12. Sweet Sixteen run would be easier that way.
Don't follow this at all. You do understand that if we're an 11 or 12, we're much more likely to lose in the first round, as we would play a better team than if we were an 8 or 9?

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Well, BYU did it to Florida (an 11 beating a 6), then knocked off the 3rd seeded hosts (at Hilton) in 2002. It's possible, but unlikely. Usually, an 11 seed is an 11 for a reason.

Personally, I would rather stay out of the 8-9 slot as well. But, it IS still possible to advance against the #1 seed in the women's tournament in the 2nd round. Michigan State did it against Duke (in East Lansing) in 2009 before losing to Iowa State in the Berkeley Regional round of 16.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Well, BYU did it to Florida (an 11 beating a 6), then knocked off the 3rd seeded hosts (at Hilton) in 2002. It's possible, but unlikely. Usually, an 11 seed is an 11 for a reason.

Personally, I would rather stay out of the 8-9 slot as well. But, it IS still possible to advance against the #1 seed in the women's tournament in the 2nd round. Michigan State did it against Duke (in East Lansing) in 2009 before losing to Iowa State in the Berkeley Regional round of 16.

After the top 16 - the rest of the field is not that strong. This is a down year for women's basketball, I don't see anyone competing with UCONN.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
After the top 16 - the rest of the field is not that strong. This is a down year for women's basketball, I don't see anyone competing with UCONN.

The NCAAs will be the UCONN invitational once again. I won't be watching the title game (again) if that's the case.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I'd prefer a 10-112 than a 8/9. WBB as a whole is down this year. IMO everyone is very beatable after the top 5 or 6 teams. Matchups matter more than anything.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Wherever we end up we are opening with a neutral site game against a team that is going to be more highly rated than us. If we win that we are going to be play a ranked team on their home court.

Not saying we cannot win one game or that two is impossible but our neutral court and road record is pretty bad this year and our recent NCAA appearnaces haven't been different when we don't have a low seed.

2014 as a #7 we lost at home to the #10 seed
2013 as a #5 we beat the #11 and lost to the #4
2012 as a #10 seed we lost at home to the #7
2011 as a #7 we lost to the #10 seed
2010 we did advance to the Sweet Sixteen but as a #4 and at home.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Wherever we end up we are opening with a neutral site game against a team that is going to be more highly rated than us. If we win that we are going to be play a ranked team on their home court.

Not saying we cannot win one game or that two is impossible but our neutral court and road record is pretty bad this year and our recent NCAA appearnaces haven't been different when we don't have a low seed.

2014 as a #7 we lost at home to the #10 seed
2013 as a #5 we beat the #11 and lost to the #4
2012 as a #10 seed we lost at home to the #7
2011 as a #7 we lost to the #10 seed
2010 we did advance to the Sweet Sixteen but as a #4 and at home.

Yup. The recent history suggests that this will most likely be another short-lived NCAA trip, regardless of where and who.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
History has nothing to do with each team. A short lived trip to the NCAA's has to do with seeding, team talent, and the gross imbalance of power in women's basketball.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
History has nothing to do with each team. A short lived trip to the NCAA's has to do with seeding, team talent, and the gross imbalance of power in women's basketball.

Disagree. This program has had a history of underperforming when it comes to the NCAAs (and Big 12 tournament with one exception) in recent years.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Disagree. This program has had a history of underperforming when it comes to the NCAAs (and Big 12 tournament with one exception) in recent years.

Underperforming is a relative term. "Under" compared to what? I would argue that recent teams might have over-achieved to get to the NCAA tourney. To go far in either tourney, you need an outstanding All America type player (Elena Delle Donne caliber, see Delaware) or a core group (say, at least 3) that delivers inside-out and day in-day out. And ISU probably also needs an all-conference caliber point guard. We know we've had gaps in personnel, sometimes just one off on having the right mix of talent at the same time. That has certainly been a factor in tourney success for this program. It's exciting to think that we are getting closer to having the right pieces to expect tourney success.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

History has nothing to do with a given team. If it did the Pop led team would never have won a tournament game. Lacey's team would never have made the Elite 8. This team is its own entity with its own strengths and weaknesses.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Looking at the roster, IMO in 2 years, we may have a good shot at a deep tourney run, we will have high level talent and experience in both the guard court and front court. Jadda/Seanna seniors/red shirt Junior, Durr/Bre/Rickets/Bell juniors, Starks/Carleton/Burkhall sophs.

That honestly will be the most talented roster I can recall at ISU since the Welle/Frese/Taylor golden years.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron