ISU Power Plant Fire?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Serious question. Why don't they start classes a week later? Seems like they have started classes earlier and earlier over the years. You could save a week of air conditioning, and it can still be quite hot in late August.

I'm sure there are good reasons for this, but I can't recall what they are.

Am I remembering incorrectly that we started classes after Labor Day *late 70's/early 80's)?

I couldnt tell you about that far back, but its started roughly around this time (August 20-26, depending on when the monday is) for a long, long time now

Reactions: t-noah

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Wow! You're right! It must have been up until the late '70's then, when they didn't start class until after Labor Day?
Was it until they switched to semesters?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Was it until they switched to semesters?
That's a good point! I don't know. I did find this article. Looks like they changed from the Quarter system to the Semester system, sounds like in 1979?
"In 1978, Iowa State was using a quarter system as their means of dividing up the academic year. The quarter system divided the sections into about ten or 11 weeks per term, while the semester uses about 15 weeks. It was at this point major discussion was brought up and the school decided to switch to using a semester system said David Holger, associate provost for academic programs."

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Chicago has the largest District Cooling in North America. It cools over 100 buildings in downtown and has reduced emissions and saved costs. And like others have said, many campuses across the world use this concept

Here's a short video on various ways Chicago keeps cool and the district cooling part starts around 4:40

There's also a new concept called deep lake water cooling that Toronto uses which would reduce costs from making the super chilled water by grabbing water that's already cold from the bottom of Lake Michigan in Chicago's case. Then take that water to cool the system down and pump the warmer water for water filtration. Chicago already uses the lake for it's water so this is just adding a step in the process.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Chicago has the largest District Cooling in North America. It cools over 100 buildings in downtown and has reduced emissions and saved costs. And like others have said, many campuses across the world use this concept

Here's a short video on various ways Chicago keeps cool and the district cooling part starts around 4:40

There's also a new concept called deep lake water cooling that Toronto uses which would reduce costs from making the super chilled water by grabbing water that's already cold from the bottom of Lake Michigan in Chicago's case. Then take that water to cool the system down and pump the warmer water for water filtration. Chicago already uses the lake for it's water so this is just adding a step in the process.

I don’t think Lake Laverne is big enough for that.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
That's a good point! I don't know. I did find this article. Looks like they changed from the Quarter system to the Semester system, sounds like in 1979?
"In 1978, Iowa State was using a quarter system as their means of dividing up the academic year. The quarter system divided the sections into about ten or 11 weeks per term, while the semester uses about 15 weeks. It was at this point major discussion was brought up and the school decided to switch to using a semester system said David Holger, associate provost for academic programs."
No, fall of 1981. However, there was multiyear "phase-in" kind of period where incoming students had to do scheduling based on years remaining under the quarter system and those under the upcoming semester system. Those who began in fall 1977 were the last to be completely under quarters. Those starting in fall 1981 were the first to be completely under the semester system.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron