ISU Power Plant Fire?

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
My wife told me students are going to online classes due to no AC caused by a fire. Anyone hear anything?

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
A faculty member friend of mine is trying to figure out what to do with her grad class later this afternoon.
Remember this is the 4th day of classes in the semester, and could be the first day in a class for some students.

Also, I just looked at the thermostat in my office (which we cannot control) and it's 5 degrees higher than when I got in this morning. Wondering if I should be feeling like the frog in a pot of warm water.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
A faculty member friend of mine is trying to figure out what to do with her grad class later this afternoon.
Remember this is the 4th day of classes in the semester, and could be the first day in a class for some students.

Also, I just looked at the thermostat in my office (which we cannot control) and it's 5 degrees higher than when I got in this morning. Wondering if I should be feeling like the frog in a pot of warm water.

Just give them a day off

birdflu

Nov 14, 2006
Iowa
An air compressor leaked oil which started on fire. Due to the resulting conditions in the power plant, they had to shut down.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Time to go online, or jiffy-prep some asynchronous intro stuff. Those are really her choices (or the day off).

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Telling them to go home for the weekend seems to hint at it not being a short term thing.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Telling them to go home for the weekend seems to hint at it not being a short term thing.
My department got two messages from FP&M earlier:
12:01 p.m. Due to an issue at the Power Plant, there may be a slight possibility of power interruptions. Power Plant staff does not anticipate any issues, but wanted building occupants to be aware of the possibility. I will keep you updated when new information is provided or when the issue has been resolved.

12:26 p.m. We are still dealing with an issue at the Power Plant, and are working on gathering more information. I have been informed that pressurized air is down and you will probably start to notice your buildings to warm up. Any systems dependent on air including air handlers will be shut down. I will keep you all posted as more information becomes available.

ISU Alert came out 1:22 p.m.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
My department got two messages from FP&M earlier:
12:01 p.m. Due to an issue at the Power Plant, there may be a slight possibility of power interruptions. Power Plant staff does not anticipate any issues, but wanted building occupants to be aware of the possibility. I will keep you updated when new information is provided or when the issue has been resolved.

12:26 p.m. We are still dealing with an issue at the Power Plant, and are working on gathering more information. I have been informed that pressurized air is down and you will probably start to notice your buildings to warm up. Any systems dependent on air including air handlers will be shut down. I will keep you all posted as more information becomes available.

ISU Alert came out 1:22 p.m.

The power plant supplies the electricity to run the compressors for each building. And that each building has a dedicated compressor. So the university thought it prudent to shut down all compressors? Is anything else dependent on electricity being shut down? Are other places in Ames going to be told to shut theirs down as well?

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
The power plant supplies the electricity to run the compressors for each building. And that each building has a dedicated compressor. So the university thought it prudent to shut down all compressors? Is anything else dependent on electricity being shut down? Are other places in Ames going to be told to shut theirs down as well?
I heard this will have an impact some CF users that may stretch well into the fall as they will not have the ability to add tickets to their Apple or Google Wallets...

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Geoffrey Dorms still have AC. Son says his dorm room going to be full tonight. I didnt ask for anymore info.
My daughter's room in Willow still has air flow and AC but I just talked with her and she the air coming out is starting to feel warmer.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron