Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
A lot of people don't want a broad education. But they have no choice because they need to get the piece of paper to do the job they want.

Go to a school that ends in Tech. Since they don't have LA colleges, they don't usually require as much LA curriculum.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Here's a serious question - a lot of the tradesman i know are rougher around the edges than white collar workers. not good or bad, just different. do people that are rougher around the edges become tradesmen or does working in the trades make people rougher around the edges?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Go to a school that ends in Tech. Since they don't have LA colleges, they don't usually require as much LA curriculum.

Oldest went to a school that ends in Tech. I think they maybe required technical writing and somewhere between 3-5 electives although they were on a quarter system. At the time he went, although they have removed the requirement since then, they also required all of their students to take quantum mechanics.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Here's a serious question - a lot of the tradesman i know are rougher around the edges than white collar workers. not good or bad, just different. do people that are rougher around the edges become tradesmen or does working in the trades make people rougher around the edges?

I think that one is a big fat "both" there.

College is just as much/more about learning the social and political mores of the college-educated professional class as anything in the textbook.

That is, after college, you look the part for a job interview.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Lol, a "Volume 3" trying to tell us they are helping. Not even going to click.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Maybe we're all rough around the edges and those in white collar positions tend to adjust to the environment they're in. Blue collar workers don't need to adjust and just be who they are.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Some have scholarships to come her, others come from states where college is more expensive than that, and still other come for one of ISU's highly ranked programs (ie. Ag bio-systems engineering which is ranked first in the country). Many of the highly rated private schools are near or above $50k a semester.

BSE for the win!

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

A lot of people don't want a tech job. Again, the same problem is that there are a significant number of people in college who don't want that broad education, and there are many jobs that would likely be minimally impacted by people attaining that broad education.

People trying to find "rocks for jocks" or the easiest electives possible is a time honored tradition in universities. Never before has the cost of taking those throwaway classes been as high as it is now. I think it's becoming something of a moral cost as much as a financial cost. But to each their own.

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
This subject and discussion always amazes me--at state institutions (regardless of state) the root cause is the same. Tuition increase in almost a direct relationship to the amount appropriations from the state decrease. It's no more complicated than that. There is no free lunch--the money will come from somewhere.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
This subject and discussion always amazes me--at state institutions (regardless of state) the root cause is the same. Tuition increase in almost a direct relationship to the amount appropriations from the state decrease. It's no more complicated than that. There is no free lunch--the money will come from somewhere.
Tuition = cost of production - subsidies from government and other sources

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
How would you know this? It happens not to be true, but you'll never know because you are too lazy.

Please, the fact that it has 3 volumes tells you everything you need to know. They have a predetermined goal and look for things to support the narrative. The fact that that book started with evidence from the 1960's is all you need to know. If you think that Higher Education remained the same for 60 years I've got some news for you. The experience, education, value, etc. have all changed significantly over the years.

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
Please, the fact that it has 3 volumes tells you everything you need to know. They have a predetermined goal and look for things to support the narrative. The fact that that book started with evidence from the 1960's is all you need to know. If you think that Higher Education remained the same for 60 years I've got some news for you. The experience, education, value, etc. have all changed significantly over the years.

Uh....no. And I quote, "Volume 3 contains the findings accumulated between 2002 and 2013..."
Of course things have changed--and the authors acknowledge that....hence the updated, Vol. 3. BTW...despite prevailing feelings of many in this country, change isn't always bad.

Reactions: 3TrueFans