ISU Proposes 7% resident tuition increase per year over next 5 yrs

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I'm not a Boomer, but a lot of "Boomers" didn't go to college. They went out and got jobs, saved, and worked their way to where they are. Young adults and teens will probably need to start thinking that way again. Nothing against going to college, but the cost is getting ridiculous. DMACC has to be loving this. :rolleyes:

There were jobs then. I’m no proponent of telling kids they have to go to college, but they won’t even get a look at most companies if they don’t have a degree.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Who cares about GPA, no one asks about that once you graduate.

They matter for postgraduate programs quite a bit.

Each of my first two jobs (one coming out of graduate school and the other five years later when I was 28) each asked for unofficial transcripts from ISU while interviewing.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

GPAs matter to get an interview for your first job. After that, it's all about performance. I know several employers that disgard resumes if the GPA is below a certain point for hires out of school. But they are usually the ones that pay enough to be picky.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Wrong. No one asks about it after you are employed full time in your first in-profession position. I recruit for my company and we weed out and flat out disqualify kids whose GPA is too low. And we are not unique. I would say less than 10% of engineers with less than a 3.0 GPA will be able to get a job in their field straight from school. It matters

• Agree
Reactions: Judoka

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
There are jobs out there. Jobs that pay pretty well actually. Many require zero college. Maybe some tech school/training.

I agree. Which is why I don’t like people generally telling all kids they need to go to college.

• Agree
Reactions: danielyp29

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
True, you don't get the grade on ISU GPA, but if someone did everything you mentioned here they certainly won't need 2 years at DMACC + 4 at ISU.
One thing you do miss out on by going the CC route the first two years are the freshmen scholarships that state colleges offer that are good for four years assuming you meet minimum GPA standards (anywhere from 3.0 to 3.5 GPA's). ISU does offer transfer scholarships, but they are pretty minimal compared to the freshmen ones.

Still, even with the scholarships at ISU, you likely can get buy cheaper by combining CC with a 4-year school.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I'm not a Boomer, but a lot of "Boomers" didn't go to college. They went out and got jobs, saved, and worked their way to where they are. Young adults and teens will probably need to start thinking that way again. Nothing against going to college, but the cost is getting ridiculous. DMACC has to be loving this. :rolleyes:

My dad became an exec without a degree. I asked him if he could do that today and he said they wouldn't even talk to people without an MBA now. Totally different world now.

• Agree
Reactions: Entropy

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Id actually be ok with the rate increases if they could just get rid of the liberal arts classes that add no value to a persons future value as an employee. Is it really valuable to have to retake hs classes once again either? If you cut that fat off things like teaching degrees would actually be worth the time to get as it would make them 3 year degrees, with more value put toward actual courses needed for your field.

JMA1125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2014
There were jobs then. I’m no proponent of telling kids they have to go to college, but they won’t even get a look at most companies if they don’t have a degree.
This is changing. Companies are realizing that a smaller candidate pool plus the prohibitive costs of college mean that they need to consider applicants without four year degrees.

Reactions: isutrevman

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
This is changing. Companies are realizing that a smaller candidate pool plus the prohibitive costs of college mean that they need to consider applicants without four year degrees.

Smaller candidate pools? Can you give me a link to that? I’d be interested in those numbers.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Smaller candidate pools? Can you give me a link to that? I’d be interested in those numbers.

I've actually found the credential rat race is getting worse out here...

• Agree
Reactions: SoapyCy

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
What if I told (you) you could go to a trade school for 3-4 years for free, work year 'round, and make $80,000 right after graduation? Would you believe me?

Many wouldn't believe me. They just think they have to go to college to get a good job.

Yeah . . . but then you'd actually have to work. And maybe get dirty.

No thanks
vauEUgn.gif

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

A lot of my friends in construction make more money without a degree than I do with mine.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
One thing that has changed that no one ever mentions is the fact that a lot of high school kids graduate high school with a semester to a year's worth of college credits. This cuts down on the overall cost by 25%.

This wasn't the case 10 years ago.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Id actually be ok with the rate increases if they could just get rid of the liberal arts classes that add no value to a persons future value as an employee. Is it really valuable to have to retake hs classes once again either? If you cut that fat off things like teaching degrees would actually be worth the time to get as it would make them 3 year degrees, with more value put toward actual courses needed for your field.

Iowa State is a university, not a technical school. If somebody doesn't want a broad education then they're in the wrong place if they go to a four year school.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Iowa State is a university, not a technical school. If somebody doesn't want a broad education then they're in the wrong place if they go to a four year school.

A lot of people don't want a broad education. But they have no choice because they need to get the piece of paper to do the job they want.