ISU Proposes 7% resident tuition increase per year over next 5 yrs

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
After adjusting the relation to median college graduate income it costs 3 times more to go to school than it did 40 years ago. And the boomers still don't understand why millennials struggle to buy homes.

The more I deal with the boomer generation in their retired years, the more I learn that there are very few things they understand.

Khell

Aug 11, 2006
I understand why some on here feel that the increase is bad, and it is if you're a prospective student, but it's a pittance compared to the cuts. Both ISU and Iowa charge by far the least amount in tuition compared to their peer institutions. BY FAR. Faculty and staff have averaged less than 2% raises the last 6 years. Nothing for I believe 3 of those years including this year. Faculty:student ratio has grown a lot as a result. That hurts students. Meanwhile, the on-campus amenities have gotten exponentially nicer. The 3 regent universities had to cut $30 million from their budgets, 2 months before the budget year ended! That's crazy! I don't care about anyone's politics, but if you support big corporate tax cuts, there's only 1 thing that can happen to tuition. If you're ok with that then that's fine, but it's just a fact that has to be acknowledged. The budget cuts are happening despite the state economy growing, so I suspect that this request is still a bit too small unfortunately. And I suspect next week when Iowa makes their budget request, some might relax on complaining about ISU's 7% request.

I'm curious how is it a fact that supporting big corporate tax cuts increases the cost of tuition? I really don't care about your politics either, but I'm just curious how these big corporate tax cuts have affected tuition? I know they cause global warming and a host of other ills in our society but now they also cause increases to tuition. We should just tax the hell out of all corporations so tuition could go down, global warming would be solved and all would be right in the world.

BigGame

Nov 21, 2011
So much for their student growth. That is completely unnecessary. They also state in the assumptions that is assuming FLAT appropriations from the State.

The administration has already been told that they should expect appropriations to go DOWN at least next year and likely the next 2 years because of the budget. Told by legislators and the Regents who work closely with the Governor. If you read the article, you'll see that appropriations are down over $3,000 per student since 2009. The University has 2 options: raise tuition or stop accepting so many students from in-state. ISU teaches almost as many Iowans as Iowa and UNI combined. Raising tuition really sucks, and there could and likely will be cuts to a bloated administration. But when the state cuts the budget and then tells you they will make more cuts going forward, there isn't a whole lot that can be done. What really needs to happen is the funding model needs to change. Iowa gets tens of millions more even though they have fewer students, and drastically less Iowans. Even Bruce Rastetter, an Iowa alum, recognized that the funding model was outdated and really hurting ISU and UNI.

Last edited:

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I'm curious how is it a fact that supporting big corporate tax cuts increases the cost of tuition? I really don't care about your politics either, but I'm just curious how these big corporate tax cuts have affected tuition? I know they cause global warming and a host of other ills in our society but now they also cause increases to tuition. We should just tax the hell out of all corporations so tuition could go down, global warming would be solved and all would be right in the world.

Pretty simple, they decrease revenue to the state impacting the state budget (which potentially impacts the amount of state funding for the Universities).

BigGame

Nov 21, 2011

I think that's a little silly. You know that budget is hurting. If the state brings in less money, whatever the cause, they have less money to give to areas like education. It's been well reported. The reason is the tax cuts turned out to cost the state more than predicted. That isn't in doubt, and you don't need to be patronizing about it. If you like the cuts, fine, but the state took in around $300 million less than the Revenue Estimating Committee assumed when the budget was passed. That lead to big cuts. The cuts to the 3 universities was $30 million dollars, even though it was 10 months into the fiscal year. That's fine if you like the cuts, but no need to act as if they didn't have effects on the university.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I think that's a little silly. You know that budget is hurting. If the state brings in less money, whatever the cause, they have less money to give to areas like education. It's been well reported. The reason is the tax cuts turned out to cost the state more than predicted. That isn't in doubt, and you don't need to be patronizing about it. If you like the cuts, fine, but the state took in around $300 million less than the Revenue Estimating Committee assumed when the budget was passed. That lead to big cuts. The cuts to the 3 universities was $30 million dollars, even though it was 10 months into the fiscal year. That's fine if you like the cuts, but no need to act as if they didn't have effects on the university.

Where did that $300 million in lost revenue go?

Khell

Aug 11, 2006
After adjusting the relation to median college graduate income it costs 3 times more to go to school than it did 40 years ago. And the boomers still don't understand why millennials struggle to buy homes.

Actually home ownership rates have been extremely stable for the last 40 years.and I doubt the cost of tuition is a major factor in home ownership. The truth is home ownership for the younger generation grew rapidly up until 2005 then guess what we had a recession and the mortgage rules were changed to again require down payments and such which require savings something which millennials have not learned to do, unfortunately neither has our government. The reality is this economy is built on debt, that of our government and that of us as individuals whether it be student loans, credit cards, mortgages, and car loans. We are now the need it now generation whether we can afford it or not. We believe we are entitled to have things like houses, new cars and cheap tuition. Unfortunately at some point it will catch up to us or our children.

CyFamilyMom

Dec 14, 2013
Private schools "discount" tuition like crazy. Almost no one pays the quoted tuition cost. For example, my daughter was just offered a 22k/year scholarship at Wartburg with her acceptance letter. This is before even applying for any scholarships through their scholarship days or financial aid. Most private schools in Iowa try to get the tuition cost down to what it would be at a state school. Some will fall a little short, but it is usually very close.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Where did that $300 million in lost revenue go?

Wouldn't we all love to know?! I'm sure there is all sorts of oversight on those tax credits to make sure they are actually creating all those jobs and making up revenue elsewhere though. Wait....

Also, super awesome that our other brilliant cost-saving measures like privatizing Medicaid haven't turned into expensive boondoggles that exasperated a bad budget situation. God forbid we keep services in place or public university tuition down and not throw cash at some out of state company.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Actually home ownership rates have been extremely stable for the last 40 years.and I doubt the cost of tuition is a major factor in home ownership. The truth is home ownership for the younger generation grew rapidly up until 2005 then guess what we had a recession and the mortgage rules were changed to again require down payments and such which require savings something which millennials have not learned to do, unfortunately neither has our government. The reality is this economy is built on debt, that of our government and that of us as individuals whether it be student loans, credit cards, mortgages, and car loans. We are now the need it now generation whether we can afford it or not. We believe we are entitled to have things like houses, new cars and cheap tuition. Unfortunately at some point it will catch up to us or our children.
Yup. It's entirely this generation. It's not the fact that the boomer generation graduated with virtually zero debt and then was able to buy things quickly and then brainwashed their children into thinking that was to be expected only to ***** about the cost of public education and then cheer for cut funding and raising of tuition because "hey! I worked my way through college! So can you!" Nevermind that working for 20 hours/week would have covered tuition cost, while today it's something like working 60 hours/week to do the same.

Khell

Aug 11, 2006
But the economy has improved, so people should have more of their own money to pay for college anyway.

Again with the tax cuts. When were corporate taxes cut in iowa? It wasn't corporate tax rates that were cut but property tax rates on business property. Has nothing to do with big business, small businesses received them just as well even individuals that owned business property. You stated you didn't care about anyone's politics but immediately blamed big corporate tax cuts for the problem. You see the problem wasn't big corporate tax cuts it was cuts to business property taxes, of course you new that but just wanted to blame big corporations and the so called favorable tax rates they receive. Is taking hits to our business property tax collections a good thing? I have no idea. Have we bought in outside businesses from the state? Our we able to be more competitive with surrounding states regarding business taxes? Decisions like this might have a very negative short term impact but long term could be great decisions because companies moving in may provide jobs to our college graduates which then increases our tax collections. Was Iowa losing businesses to surrounding states because of our tax rates? Unfortunately, right now we don't have any of those answers.

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
Private schools "discount" tuition like crazy. Almost no one pays the quoted tuition cost. For example, my daughter was just offered a 22k/year scholarship at Wartburg with her acceptance letter. This is before even applying for any scholarships through their scholarship days or financial aid. Most private schools in Iowa try to get the tuition cost down to what it would be at a state school. Some will fall a little short, but it is usually very close.
I came in here to point this out. I spent a year at a private school before transferring to ISU. They have a lookup table they use to figure out the minimum value of your "scholarship" based on tuition and ACT/SAT score. When I transferred to ISU I paid only a few hundred dollars less per year in tuition.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
There really arent many jobs that are worth a BA already raising the costs so much each year will pretty much make a degree a net negative for most people in the future. Jobs arent going to pay 7% more the next five years to make up for the costs.
I've heard (not sure where) don't take out more loans for school than what you will make as your first year salary. I'm pretty sure most majors at ISU will get you a job making at least $40k.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
How much did our ex-governor Bumstead give out to the insurance companies to handle Medicare in Iowa. Plus the costs they were guaranteed for their underbidding to handle "unforeseen" costs.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Wouldn't we all love to know?! I'm sure there is all sorts of oversight on those tax credits to make sure they are actually creating all those jobs and making up revenue elsewhere though. Wait....

Also, super awesome that our other brilliant cost-saving measures like privatizing Medicaid haven't turned into expensive boondoggles that exasperated a bad budget situation. God forbid we keep services in place or public university tuition down and not throw cash at some out of state company.
My point was that the $300 mill. doesn't just dissapear, it's put back into the economy. Why would STATE tax cuts help out of state corporations? I'm not following that logic.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I came in here to point this out. I spent a year at a private school before transferring to ISU. They have a lookup table they use to figure out the minimum value of your "scholarship" based on tuition and ACT/SAT score. When I transferred to ISU I paid only a few hundred dollars less per year in tuition.

With financial aid, my current undergrad was going to save about $1000 total costs between ISU and Notre Dame. Wanted to be closer to girlfriend :rolleyes:, went to ISU. Not sure how it will shake out for him now with tuition increases. Will certainly make my high school senior and junior look closer at private schools.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron