ISU Proposes 7% resident tuition increase per year over next 5 yrs

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Yes, the first issue is that our legislature, like most, is infested with lawyers, meaning UI grads. Everybody understands that the funding model is completely jacked. In fact ISUs state lobbyists (for lack of a better term) and Leath thought a reworked budget model was a done deal because the BOR and Branstad were fully on board. There's plenty of fat at ISU, but relative to its peers it is highly efficient.
On one hand, though, ISU really has two choices, either stop taking all qualified students or raise tuition and let some market forces go to work. I do think with the ultra low unemployment, and rising costs we will see a major correction in enrollment in the state. We are already seeing it in the community colleges, which are typically more directly impacted by unemployment rates.

1) Last time a saw a breakdown of professions in the legislature I think there were less then 10 attorneys. And in general, it is also not true that most legislatures have a huge number of attorneys.
2) I would bet that not all got a law degree from Iowa...See Jack Whitver. Because there is another law school in this state and some might have went out of state for their law degree.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Yes, the first issue is that our legislature, like most, is infested with lawyers, meaning UI grads. Everybody understands that the funding model is completely jacked. In fact ISUs state lobbyists (for lack of a better term) and Leath thought a reworked budget model was a done deal because the BOR and Branstad were fully on board. There's plenty of fat at ISU, but relative to its peers it is highly efficient.
On one hand, though, ISU really has two choices, either stop taking all qualified students or raise tuition and let some market forces go to work. I do think with the ultra low unemployment, and rising costs we will see a major correction in enrollment in the state. We are already seeing it in the community colleges, which are typically more directly impacted by unemployment rates.
It appears that the educational system has failed you, at least as it pertains to counting.

There are 17 lawyers out of 150 legislators, six of whom are UI law grads.

• Informative
Reactions: ArgentCy

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think it is fair to say that using ROI that for years college at a place like ISU was "too cheap." There was a long period of high loan availability, relatively low tuition, and large gap in pay between college grads vs HS grads. My wife and I graduated in the early 2000s. She graduated 3 years after me, and her last year of tuition was much higher than mine. It was still a no-brainier from an ROI perspective. Most degrees at a place like ISU still have a good ROI. But it does keep shrinking. There has been talk for years that at some point it will get low enough that there will be a huge shift to skilled trades, but it doesn't seem to have happened yet.

• Agree
Reactions: DurangoCy

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
1) Last time a saw a breakdown of professions in the legislature I think there were less then 10 attorneys. And in general, it is also not true that most legislatures have a huge number of attorneys.
2) I would bet that not all got a law degree from Iowa...See Jack Whitver. Because there is another law school in this state and some might have went out of state for their law degree.
Yes you and Luther are right. Major misconception on my part. I thought there were tons of lawyers in the legislature.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yes you and Luther are right. Major misconception on my part. I thought there were tons of lawyers in the legislature.

You are thinking of Congress. It is easy to extend that down to legislatures.

Legislatures are more dominated by successful business people, particularly in things like real estate, and even farmers in smaller Midwestern states.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I think it is fair to say that using ROI that for years college at a place like ISU was "too cheap." There was a long period of high loan availability, relatively low tuition, and large gap in pay between college grads vs HS grads. My wife and I graduated in the early 2000s. She graduated 3 years after me, and her last year of tuition was much higher than mine. It was still a no-brainier from an ROI perspective. Most degrees at a place like ISU still have a good ROI. But it does keep shrinking. There has been talk for years that at some point it will get low enough that there will be a huge shift to skilled trades, but it doesn't seem to have happened yet.

Too cheap....hmm that’s a new one.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
I don’t think this is a viable option in some majors. Son’s high school friend did this, went into an engineering major, wound up going six years with two at community college.
Probably also depends on how the two years at the community college is used. If someone wasn't sure what they wanted and took random business and arts classes during their time at DMACC instead of getting all of their Calculus/Differential Equations and other gen eds out of the way, the time spent at DMACC to prepare for an engineering major at ISU was probably a waste. I had to take Calc 3 through DMACC one summer to meet a pre-req for a different course that I wanted to take, and they were all current/future ISU students and the course was taught by an ISU TA.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Probably also depends on how the two years at the community college is used. If someone wasn't sure what they wanted and took random business and arts classes during their time at DMACC instead of getting all of their Calculus/Differential Equations and other gen eds out of the way, the time spent at DMACC to prepare for an engineering major at ISU was probably a waste. I had to take Calc 3 through DMACC one summer to meet a pre-req for a different course that I wanted to take, and they were all current/future ISU students and the course was taught by an ISU TA.

You can do most of that in high school though. One of kids had all the gen eds plus through Calc 2 plus the core engineering physics just through dual enrollment and AP classes in high school. Disadvantage is you don’t get those easier classes on ISU GPA. I’m not sure but I don’t think you get the community college grade on ISU GPA since that is similar to dual enrollment.

• Agree
Reactions: cjs24

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Too cheap....hmm that’s a new one.
It's in quotation marks for a reason. I don't like using terms cheap or expensive because that can be defined many ways.
More specifically it had a really high ROI. So yes, when I went to school from an ROI perspective and in comparison to alternatives it was dirt cheap.
It is a much tougher decision for kids now. I don't know how to best address the broader situation, but there is no doubt that I had it a lot easier than kids in school now, and I suspect in a decade when my kids are in school it's going to be difficult financially.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
It's in quotation marks for a reason. I don't like using terms cheap or expensive because that can be defined many ways.
More specifically it had a really high ROI. So yes, when I went to school from an ROI perspective and in comparison to alternatives it was dirt cheap.
It is a much tougher decision for kids now. I don't know how to best address the broader situation, but there is no doubt that I had it a lot easier than kids in school now, and I suspect in a decade when my kids are in school it's going to be difficult financially.

Ok this makes more sense. Thank you.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
You can do most of that in high school though. One of kids had all the gen eds plus through Calc 2 plus the core engineering physics just through dual enrollment and AP classes in high school. Disadvantage is you don’t get those easier classes on ISU GPA. I’m not sure but I don’t think you get the community college grade on ISU GPA since that is similar to dual enrollment.
True, you don't get the grade on ISU GPA, but if someone did everything you mentioned here they certainly won't need 2 years at DMACC + 4 at ISU.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Pretty simple, they decrease revenue to the state impacting the state budget (which potentially impacts the amount of state funding for the Universities).

The dogma was strong with that one. He’s just going to disregard truth and facts and economics because that’s what they do

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

ISU would have still be a great ROI for me (even if not as ridiculous as it is now) given what it costs and my return even after the tuition hikes.

Even the public schools on the East Coast are incredibly expensive in comparison.

There is a huge arbitrage opportunity to a Midwestern education and East Coast wages if you are willing to move, though the COLA does tamp that down.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Man, if I ever have children I'm going to strongly encourage them to get a trade skill

What if I told (you) you could go to a trade school for 3-4 years for free, work year 'round, and make $80,000 right after graduation? Would you believe me?

Many wouldn't believe me. They just think they have to go to college to get a good job.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
After adjusting the relation to median college graduate income it costs 3 times more to go to school than it did 40 years ago. And the boomers still don't understand why millennials struggle to buy homes.

I'm not a Boomer, but a lot of "Boomers" didn't go to college. They went out and got jobs, saved, and worked their way to where they are. Young adults and teens will probably need to start thinking that way again. Nothing against going to college, but the cost is getting ridiculous. DMACC has to be loving this. :rolleyes: