ISU vs Iowa Wrestling Thread

Cyclone_Power

Oct 23, 2006
Minneapolis
I just hate it when wrestlers come out passive like we did today. As much as I hate to say it I liked Iowa's style, they came out and were actually aggressive.

Every time I've ever watched an ISU meet they have come out this way. Now I know what the Gophers mean about wrestling us. Booooooooooring.

Glad I watched more of the Vikings game than this meet.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Yeah, we all know this is Iowa's Wrestlemania. They just get up for this meet more than the others. Occasionally little brother gets to beat up on big brother. We shouldn't schedule them anymore as it just doesn't help our squad.

Am I forgetting any of them?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Iowa wanted it more. The last 3 ISU wrestlers knew what they had to do to win the meet and they didnt do it. They just did enough to win their match and didnt go after the Iowa wrestler. They wanted to dance instead of wrestle.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I'm not a big wrestling fan, so I don't know much (but am consequently similar to a great majority of the US population) but there was a lot of sitting around watching nothing happen. Seemed out of most matches (7 minutes?) I saw about 3-4 minutes of wrestling and 3-4 minutes (more in the Heavy) of crap which consisted of listening to crappy broadcasters talk about people I've never heard of before and waiting for stalling calls which never came. Maybe I'm wrong, but with all the hype and trying to get more people interested in wrestling, this meet did not help the sport.

Is anything being done to liven up this sport for the general population?

Last edited:

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I was surrounded by Hawks the whole meet... luckily they were really nice.

There was this little kid in front of me, probably 2-3... he was asking his mom where Herky was. And was like "Mommy, maybe he's going to the bathroom.." I started cracking up, it was cute.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Leaving the meet... I heard some hawks talking to each other

"Well I don't have to completely swallow my pride, we won in 1 sport"

Sucks that we lost but atleast they still know who has dominated this year :wink:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Just got back from the meet. The first four matches killed us. No intensity. Then it was just too late. Who cares really, all I care about is being #1 in March.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
This is their Olympics. Their Royal Rumble. I don't see any advantage to continue to wrestle these guys. We have everything to lose and nothing to gain. :biglaugh:

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Like a #1 ranking :wink:

Hmmmmm... Funny.. Didn't here you squawking much after the B-ball game yesterday. But man you came out of the cave for this one. Have fun with your one major win in a sport this year. We will see your wrestlers again at the midlands and Ncaa tourney. How did that work out for you guys last year?

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville

You mean you didn't see the steel chairs and barbed wire bats hidden next to the scorer's table?!?

The reason the "general population" doesn't like wrestling, is similar to why they don't like curling. There's too much strategy and thinking involved to keep people "enthralled" for an hour and a half.

Cyclone_Power

Oct 23, 2006
Minneapolis
Maybe I'm wrong, but with all the hype and trying to get more people interested in wrestling, this meet did not help the sport.

Agreed. I'm personally a huge hockey fan and I don't understand how people can badmouth the sport and then turn around and watch a sport where they stand around and swat each other 90% of the time. There may not be a lot of scoring in hockey, but it's constant action.

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
Iowa wanted it more. The last 3 ISU wrestlers knew what they had to do to win the meet and they didnt do it. They just did enough to win their match and didnt go after the Iowa wrestler. They wanted to dance instead of wrestle.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. You speak like it is just that easy to get bonus points. We did get a major in the second to last match, so he did what he could, were you expecting a pin? Zabriski and feilds are very evenly matched so for him to get bonus point would be very lucky and Feilds would have had to mess up badly. I agree Iowa wanted it more but I would not blame the bigger guys for it.

cykitt

Sep 20, 2007
This is their Olympics. Their Royal Rumble. I don't see any advantage to continue to wrestle these guys. We have everything to lose and nothing to gain. :biglaugh:
To be the best you have to beat the best... Sanderson wants to wrestle tough competition if they wanted to go undefeated the whole season we might as well go out and wrestle in the Virginia Duals every week....

Come on!!!! are you that stupid?????

aeroclone08

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Wichita, KS
Apparently Broodwich and Alum2002 need huge SARCASM tags for their posts. :skeptical: Those who don't get it, their mocking hawk fan excuses for losses in every other sport this year.

Benny34

Nov 29, 2007
To be the best you have to beat the best... Sanderson wants to wrestle tough competition if they wanted to go undefeated the whole season we might as well go out and wrestle in the Virginia Duals every week....

Come on!!!! are you that stupid?????
This is completely rediculous, if anything it was our Olympics for how long? We have been ranked higher for two years now, lost both of them, and we are calling it their Olympics. I highly doubt they think wrestling a team they have consistantly beaten. Also by your logic we really have nothing to gain by playing them in anything, so should we not play them in anything? or only when we are the underdog, so we do not have anything to lose?

Come on, college wrestling with out Iowa vs Iowa State, would be like baseball with out Boston vs New York.

That post was a joke by the way because Hawk fans keep saying that about us in football...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron