ISU vs Rutgers

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
So we can agree that when either is in, we have an excellent post defender when it comes to blocking shots. Now, add to that the offensive skill set that Nicky brings to the floor and we are a very dangerous team. Capable of winning the Big 12 regular season and conference tournament as well as being a 3 seed or higher next season. I think the lack of a post presence on both ends of the court is what has killed us lately.
I am not saying that NW is not a good shot blocker I am just saying that I think JA is a better shot blocker. NW gets a lot of her blocks on smaller people coming in the lane. JA will block other teams post player as well as smalls, she has the knack of timing or longer arms are whatever it is that some players pocess.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Joc or Nicky? Nicky or Joc?

Tell you you what, I'll take both, 6'4" twin towers next year blocking shots left and right.

How about that for enthusiasm?

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I'm not sure if this has been posted, but it's worth duplicates... There is a free video on clonezone with highlights from last night. It ends with the AMAZING and INSPIRING interaction between Bill and the team. I've liked the guy for a long long time, but I have never seen him like this with his players.
Not sure how to link to that video, but you MUST check it out.

Wow, what a good, good guy. I am usually not in favor of lifetime contracts, but in this case it is justified.

"Are you kidding me??"

Everyone should watch this video...if you watched the game, the highlights are a little long, but the speech at the end is worth the wait.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Joc or Nicky? Nicky or Joc?

Tell you you what, I'll take both, 6'4" twin towers next year blocking shots left and right.

How about that for enthusiasm?

I wonder how often they'll be on the floor at the same time? Will Jocelyn just spell Nicky? It would be quite the presence with both of them in the paint on the defensive end.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I wonder how often they'll be on the floor at the same time? Will Jocelyn just spell Nicky? It would be quite the presence with both of them in the paint on the defensive end.

Offensively, Nicky would get the nod to start over Joc, however after Joc's progression this season, I can see no reason not to play them together at times.

We could go 'Big' next season at times with Aus, Bolte, Ross, Joc and Nicky. Toccara would be the shortest at only 5'11", but she plays bigger than that. Other wise, Aus @6', Bolte @6'1" and Joc and Nicky @6'4".

Next season should be fun to watch as Coach fits all of the parts and pieces together.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I'm considering writing in Bill Fennelly on the ballot in November.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I still can't believe one short year ago, after the 2nd round loss to Georgia in Minneapolis (the one where the sisters couldn't hit a shot if their collective lives depended on it), some fans were beginning to consider calling for Fennelly's head, as a guy that was never gonna get it done. JP then put the end to such talk by giving Fennelly the lifetime contract. IMO one of the smarter moves JP's made as AD. As far as I'm concerned, Fennelly earned that lifetime contract this season. He could have packed it in after he lost Weiben and Ross, but instead pressed his team even harder and took them places no one expected.

I am really excited about next year. A lot of people keep saying that we don't have the guards to compete. Guess what? We DO have the guards - to play Fennelly's style of offense. Fennelly has never run the "run-and-gun" kind of offense everyone here seems to think we should be running. It's always been get into the half court offense and run a play that either gets the ball into the paint for an easy layup or find the open girl behind the arc to pop the three. That's how it's always been. Lacey, Bolte, and Ezell excel at that style of offense because all three of them can drain the three. Where we got killed last night is we didn't have the interior presence that forced Rutgers to respect the inside game. If we had the inside game last night, there's no way Rutgers' guards are defending on the 3-point line because all we would have had to do was dump the ball inside for the layup. If Weiben and Ross were healthy, the inside-outside-pop the three game would have been working well last night, the same offense that has worked well for State for the last decade. IMO I have no problem with the guards - we need to keep the forwards and centers healthy next season. We do that and it'll be a memorable season.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I still can't believe one short year ago, after the 2nd round loss to Georgia in Minneapolis (the one where the sisters couldn't hit a shot if their collective lives depended on it), some fans were beginning to consider calling for Fennelly's head, as a guy that was never gonna get it done. JP then put the end to such talk by giving Fennelly the lifetime contract. IMO one of the smarter moves JP's made as AD. As far as I'm concerned, Fennelly earned that lifetime contract this season. He could have packed it in after he lost Weiben and Ross, but instead pressed his team even harder and took them places no one expected.

I am really excited about next year. A lot of people keep saying that we don't have the guards to compete. Guess what? We DO have the guards - to play Fennelly's style of offense. Fennelly has never run the "run-and-gun" kind of offense everyone here seems to think we should be running. It's always been get into the half court offense and run a play that either gets the ball into the paint for an easy layup or find the open girl behind the arc to pop the three. That's how it's always been. Lacey, Bolte, and Ezell excel at that style of offense because all three of them can drain the three. Where we got killed last night is we didn't have the interior presence that forced Rutgers to respect the inside game. If we had the inside game last night, there's no way Rutgers' guards are defending on the 3-point line because all we would have had to do was dump the ball inside for the layup. If Weiben and Ross were healthy, the inside-outside-pop the three game would have been working well last night, the same offense that has worked well for State for the last decade. IMO I have no problem with the guards - we need to keep the forwards and centers healthy next season. We do that and it'll be a memorable season.

agree 100%

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Speaking of the highlights...what country was Ezell in when she hit the three to open the second half? I was there and I think it was behind the NBA line.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
A lot of people keep saying that we don't have the guards to compete. Guess what? We DO have the guards - to play Fennelly's style of offense. Fennelly has never run the "run-and-gun" kind of offense everyone here seems to think we should be running.
Are we competing for top 4 in the Big 12, Sweet 16 NCAA's or Big 12 Champions and Final 4 NCAA's. Everybody seems to have a different difnition. It is not the style of offense that I am worried about, there is nothing wrong with the Fennelly style of offense. Where are guards currently lack is in the match ups with teams like Texas A&M and Baylor the full court pressure that overwelms a team like ours, before we get to set up the offense and it takes away any transistion game we may have because we work so hard to get the ball up the court. I personally can live with the occasional top 3 finish in the Big 12 and an occasional sweet 16 that would give hope for something greater and maybe the star alinge and we get that once in a life time dream season.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Are we competing for top 4 in the Big 12, Sweet 16 NCAA's or Big 12 Champions and Final 4 NCAA's. Everybody seems to have a different difnition. It is not the style of offense that I am worried about, there is nothing wrong with the Fennelly style of offense. Where are guards currently lack is in the match ups with teams like Texas A&M and Baylor the full court pressure that overwelms a team like ours, before we get to set up the offense and it takes away any transistion game we may have because we work so hard to get the ball up the court. I personally can live with the occasional top 3 finish in the Big 12 and an occasional sweet 16 that would give hope for something greater and maybe the star alinge and we get that once in a life time dream season.

I think we would have been competing for the top 4 this year had Ross and Weiben not blown their knees out. We were doing pretty well up until that point - no reason to think we wouldn't have done much better with them. I'm not saying we have the Big XII's greatest guards, but what I'm saying is they fit Fennelly's style of play.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Are we competing for top 4 in the Big 12, Sweet 16 NCAA's or Big 12 Champions and Final 4 NCAA's.

According the ADJP's published goals, ISU teams should competing for conference titles and championships, and striving to be at the top of the conference.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Players' thoughts from across the NCAA tournament

Posted: Tuesday Mar 25, 2008 5:19 PM

http://javascript<b></b>:cnnEmailAlerts();http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...5/2060.ap.bkw.ncaa.tournament.insiders.0775/#http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...5/2060.ap.bkw.ncaa.tournament.insiders.0775/#http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...5/2060.ap.bkw.ncaa.tournament.insiders.0775/#http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...5/2060.ap.bkw.ncaa.tournament.insiders.0775/#http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/services/rss/
College stars Essence Carson of Rutgers, Abby Waner of Duke, Crystal Langhorne of Maryland and Erlana Larkins of North Carolina will provide periodic updates on their NCAA tournament experiences.
DES MOINES, Iowa - I am writing just prior to the take-off back to the East Coast and New Jersey. It's always nice to board a plane after a win- and of course, get some zzz's. We are still alive and Sweet Sixteen bound I was told by the media - for the fourth straight year. It was a tough game and Iowa State gave its best fight. The fans really turned out for the game and it was a great atmosphere for college basketball.

Although our defense has held us together all year long, our offense has really started to come around as of late and is clicking on all cylinders. Tonight, Kia Vaughn again played well (23 points). It seemed like she owned the paint. And the three guards on our side myself, Mat (Matee Ajavon) and Piph (Epiphanny Prince) put in double figures and it seemed like everything was rolling.
Iowa State really tested our defense and more so, our communication. We communicated very well (on the switches) and we elevated our game that much more. When it came down to it, we did the most important thing we could do tonight- and that was win. And earn another 40 minutes.
My teammates and I look forward to Greensboro. They treated us very well last year. We are hoping to go in there and play our game- once again, Scarlet Knight basketball. I'm out!
- Rutgers senior Essence Carson