ISU/WV stat you have all ignored

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
West Virginia has given up 40 points in one half only once this season: And that was Iowa State, with 42 in the second half.

So complain about the refs, the press, and the physical play all you want. ISU did something no other team has against WV this year, and did it in their house.

Yeah... but think of how many points ISU could have scored if Morris and Thomas wouldn't have "stutter stepped" before trying to break the press.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
That's misleading though, because WVU had 10 more offensive rebounds. They just missed a lot more shots.

Rebound percentage is the best way to evaluate it:

We rebounded 9 of our 28 misses, for a 32% Offensive Rebound percentage. That's higher than our season average (29%) and higher that what WVU usually gives up (30%).

They rebounded 19 of their 50 (!!!) misses, for a 38% Offensive Rebound percentage. That's much higher than what we usually give up (26%) but lower than WVU's Top 5 season average of 43%.

Bottom line, we were out rebounded, but we did rebound well (well enough to win!).

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
Yeah... but think of how many points ISU could have scored if Morris and Thomas wouldn't have "stutter stepped" before trying to break the press.

LIVE feed from Sukup:

[video=youtube;Zx-mRiCVbOw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx-mRiCVbOw[/video]

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

We rebounded 9 of our 28 misses, for a 32% Offensive Rebound percentage. That's higher than our season average (29%) and higher that what WVU usually gives up (30%).

They rebounded 19 of their 50 (!!!) misses, for a 38% Offensive Rebound percentage. That's much higher than what we usually give up (26%) but lower than WVU's Top 5 season average of 43%.

Bottom line, we were out rebounded, but we did rebound well (well enough to win!).

The true takeaway I got from that is that WVU missed a LOT of shots.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
42 in the 2nd half was impressive, and even more so without the 3s being a big impact. No doubt this team can be something when Naz and Jones get back on track.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Dude, you're not supposed to cross the streams.

Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Cylent Bob.

Peter_GB1.jpg

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Nice to be scoring in the 70s again. Now, how about a few 80s in a row?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think we all know there were a number of sketchy calls. I do love this stat and the team's resolve.

They have not quite earned "closer" status like the group did last season, but they are close.

Winning on the road, tough calls, tons of foul trouble and little points from Naz was huge. Loved what some of the others did in that game to step up. Team basketball is what Fred and these Cyclones are about and that is why ISU is one of the best in the conference and hopefully the nation.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net

And they pushed off on 15 of the 19.

Last edited:

DiehardClone

Jan 29, 2014
I think we all know there were a number of sketchy calls. I do love this stat and the team's resolve.

They have not quite earned "closer" status like the group did last season, but they are close.

Winning on the road, tough calls, tons of foul trouble and little points from Naz was huge. Loved what some of the others did in that game to step up. Team basketball is what Fred and these Cyclones are about and that is why ISU is one of the best in the conference and hopefully the nation.

This year's team does have one important (and positive) distinction from last year's team: Not routinely falling behind by double digits. Refresh my memory, other than Maryland, has this year's team had any other double-digit deficits?

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
This year's team does have one important (and positive) distinction from last year's team: Not routinely falling behind by double digits. Refresh my memory, other than Maryland, has this year's team had any other double-digit deficits?

South Carolina they were down 11 in the first half

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Goggles. Goggles. We led them in knocking off Goggles.

I was a little worried for the kid they way he was examining his goggles. The refs had to show him the bench and coaches almost had to guide him to his seat.

Help Support Us

Become a patron