ISU's 1,000th dual win could happen...

anticyclonic

Mar 8, 2007
Lake Rathbun
(should happen) next weekend 2-07 (superbowl sunday). ISU should be the first school to breach the 1000 mark with Oky state just behind. As the season started the program was 989-261-20 and the team has gone 10-2 this season, so they are now 999-263-20. Unfortunately, the dual is in Tempe AZ against ASU and not here. Congrats in advance wrestlers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
That would be one hell of an Honor!!! I had no idea we could be the first program in the country to get to 1,000. Awesome:yes:

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
It is an amazing feat for our program. Our wrestlers are looking/sounding more and more impressive heading into the Conference Tourney/NCAA's.

Keep up the good work boys.

Last edited:

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
Sunday, February 14th

ISU vs Missouri - Hopefully Dual win #1,001.

That would be Great. ISU is running a special on tickets.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I'm also shocked to hear that considering Oky State's history and all of those national titles in the old days. Let's make sure eiu or anybody else never catches us, and celebrate with the team at the Missouri duel.

Reactions: Melvin

anticyclonic

Mar 8, 2007
Lake Rathbun
Only Oky State can catch us, they are only about 15-20 duals wins behind so they will breach the mark next year. The scary part is they are surging again. Another OSU (Oregon State) has over 900 wins and some smaller college out east is in the 900 range also. Iowa is 7th or 8th at +/-860 wins or so.

I am glad that the Register actually acknowledged this is coming up with their article today.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Only Oky State can catch us, they are only about 15-20 duals wins behind so they will breach the mark next year. The scary part is they are surging again. Another OSU (Oregon State) has over 900 wins and some smaller college out east is in the 900 range also. Iowa is 7th or 8th at +/-860 wins or so.

I am glad that the Register actually acknowledged this is coming up with their article today.

Knowing nothing about the history of wrestling, how are we so high up and Iowa so far behind? Have we had wrestling longer than Iowa or OSU? I know we have been good, but both schools have had much more success than we have.

anticyclonic

Mar 8, 2007
Lake Rathbun
Knowing nothing about the history of wrestling, how are we so high up and Iowa so far behind? Have we had wrestling longer than Iowa or OSU? I know we have been good, but both schools have had much more success than we have.

OSU has had a program about two years longer, Iowa a few years (19-teens for all three). I can't agree with you about IA being a better overall program of 80+ years except NC's and it has only been in the last 35 years or so and it took an ISU alum to do it for them. ISU, has many NCAA runner ups many of which were to OSU or Oklahoma back in the 50s and 60s. Iowa State has also had the most dominant wrestlers - Gable, Sanderson, Taylor.

I agree that Oklahoma State is undoubtedly the best program of all time. I thought ISU was behind them for dual totals and was shocked to find out ISU was ahead.

Last edited:

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
It can easily be argued that ISU has done more of collegiate wrestling than any other school. Just look at the names that have come out of here and some of the records we set. It really is a shame that we haven't been able to win more titles. I guess this all makes the whole Sanderson leaving that much more perplexing. Of course, would we be ISU if people didn't leave us?

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
It can easily be argued that ISU has done more of collegiate wrestling than any other school. Just look at the names that have come out of here and some of the records we set. It really is a shame that we haven't been able to win more titles. I guess this all makes the whole Sanderson leaving that much more perplexing. Of course, would we be ISU if people didn't leave us?

Maybe that will change here shortly! :yes:

Hindsight is always 20/20. Who knows what would have happened had ISU kept Gable.

But I agree with your post.

Off topic, but I was working out early this morning and caught part of ESPN Classic's Woodie's World featuring the great Heywood Hale Broun. One of the pieces on the show was his feature on Chris Taylor.

I didn't get the chance to watch all of it, but boy did that bring back some memories.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

This is absolutely true, and really can't be argued (not a slam on your post at all...I'm backing you up, since some DB from IC who knows nothing about college wrestling is probably just chomping at the bit).

A fair argument, for the sake of arguing, is the "birthplace" of college wrestling. My contention (obviously) is Ames, IA, even though they've been doing it longer in Stillwater. Harold Nichols and his "disciples" have done more for the sport than any others, in any other sport. Just look at his coaching tree...it's mind-boggling.

BTW...Cael Sanderson does not represent a branch of that tree.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
I would add that the dual meet series between ISU and UI is hugely lopsided in favor of UI - but there is a reason for that.

Similar to the football programs, the two schools hardly wrestled each other for many many years. When the series did pick up again, I think in the 1970s, UI was just starting to turn the corner, and of course Gable had left for UI. Not only that, but when the series started back up, they were wrestling twice a year. So should anyone hear smack about that, look the results up in the archives.

UI probably won a couple of meets many decades ago, but the simple fact is that they weren't wrestling each other when ISU was routinely 2nd or near the top.

I would add that it is not inconceivable that ISU will one day be historically the very best program. OSU is number 1, and UI 2. ISU would need quite a few team titles to stake a claim, but neither was UI wasn't anywhere close 30 years ago.

anticyclonic

Mar 8, 2007
Lake Rathbun
I would add that the dual meet series between ISU and UI is hugely lopsided in favor of UI - but there is a reason for that.

Similar to the football programs, the two schools hardly wrestled each other for many many years. When the series did pick up again, I think in the 1970s, UI was just starting to turn the corner, and of course Gable had left for UI. Not only that, but when the series started back up, they were wrestling twice a year. So should anyone hear smack about that, look the results up in the archives.

UI probably won a couple of meets many decades ago, but the simple fact is that they weren't wrestling each other when ISU was routinely 2nd or near the top.

I would add that it is not inconceivable that ISU will one day be historically the very best program. OSU is number 1, and UI 2. ISU would need quite a few team titles to stake a claim, but neither was UI wasn't anywhere close 30 years ago.

You are correct, the ISU-IA series restarted in the mid 1970s (fall 73' to be exact) ISU had won 4 of previous 5 NCs so the timing for Iowa was good, had it started 15 years prior to that ISU would easily have 15 or more wins against them. Both programs have a similar amount of individual champions with Iowa around 68 and ISU in the lower to middle 60s, I think Ok State has over 100.

Interesting tidbit: For runner up's (2nd place finishes): ISU has 17, far more than anyone else, surprisingly, UNI has 5 and they also have an NC (back in 1950)

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
You are correct, the ISU-IA series restarted in the mid 1970s (fall 73' to be exact) ISU had won 4 of previous 5 NCs so the timing for Iowa was good, had it started 15 years prior to that ISU would easily have 15 or more . . . )

Plus all the years before those 15 that ISU was better that they didn't wrestle. Unlike UI, ISU was one of the very best right from the beginning (and generally, throughout).

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
The all time ISU record used to be posted at Cyclones.com.

Unfortunately, I don't see it there now. You would think now would be a good time to get it back up, if it isn't.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron