ISU's offense seeks to make stronger connections, throw more deep balls in 2024

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
IMO, we need to be aggressive on offense and score, score, score. I don't want to see us ever let up when we are ahead. the greatest offenses consistently score 8 TD's or more on opponents. I can still remember Nebraska, Iowa, and Oklahoma teams running up the scores on us. our response is we just have to get better.

• Winner
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
IMO, we need to be aggressive on offense and score, score, score. I don't want to see us ever let up when we are ahead. the greatest offenses consistently score 8 TD's or more on opponents. I can still remember Nebraska, Iowa, and Oklahoma teams running up the scores on us. our response is we just have to get better.

Are you expecting a greatest offense kind of offense?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
What part of we had a loaded offense and we blew it that u don’t understand?
The part where you think we had a loaded offense? “Brock and Breece” alone do not make for a loaded offense. Even Brock, Breece, Charlie and Xavier do not make for a “loaded offense”.

Rocco, Abu, Ben, Jaylin, Jayden and a third wideout to be named later (Alston or Ngoyi, plus friends) is one whole hell of a lot closer to a loaded offense than what you’re assuming.

Remind me again, why did you change your username?

• Haha
Reactions: Drew0311

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
New OC. Extremely conservative coach. What part of "it might not be explosive" is hard to understand?
We might be. We might not. It's just a wait and see thing regarding Campbell's approach.
Sorry, I thought it was clear that I was referring to the “slow start” that dear Drew was using to take a shot at our staff. And saying that with that many starters, it wasn’t likely. Guess I should have expanded more.

Oh, and that “new OC” is someone from within the system, not someone installing a brand new terminology and scheme.

To address your question, not only that new OC and the QB, but also that famously conservative head coach have already rather gleefully talked about going downfield more often.

I’ll point out that part of his reason for being so conservative has always been to take pressure off the defense—that whole “complementary football” thing. Well, this is starting to look like one heck of a defense, so maybe he thinks we can put the foot on the gas a little more often.

I mean, besides having more tools to do so than we have in his tenure. Maybe many more. Wideout is about to be stacked.

Sorry I didn’t make that clearer the first time.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Bold take!
Might be, but I personally don’t think it’s too far off. Rocco is very similar to Brock, IMO. Maybe not as much of a run threat, but remember, they kind of neutered that part of his game after his freshman year. Rocco is a pretty damn accurate passer, has above average pocket awareness, can take off if necessary and I think he has a slightly stronger arm than Purdy did.

Sama and Breece is a tougher comp. Breece is probably the best back we have ever had, and yes…I’m aware of Troy and Darren Davis, Montgomery, etc. Sama is a home run threat every time he touches the ball though.

Reactions: Aclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Might be, but I personally don’t think it’s too far off. Rocco is very similar to Brock, IMO. Maybe not as much of a run threat, but remember, they kind of neutered that part of his game after his freshman year. Rocco is a pretty damn accurate passer, has above average pocket awareness, can take off if necessary and I think he has a slightly stronger arm than Purdy did.

Sama and Breece is a tougher comp. Breece is probably the best back we have ever had, and yes…I’m aware of Troy and Darren Davis, Montgomery, etc. Sama is a home run threat every time he touches the ball though.
Thanks. I’m not sure why 83cy thought it was a bold take. Maybe they thought I was comparing two freshmen to polished NFL players?

I agree—and my point was—Brock and Rocco are oddly similar at the same stage (for Take Three, look at Manske’s HUDL).

And I didn’t say that I was comparing Abu to Breece, I said that he has been. And that’s simple truth, he has been multiple times, both by broadcasters and others.

Personally, I don’t think the comparison is all that apt. Sure, they’re both smooth and explosive, but Breece used a hard jab step to suddenly change directions, Abu simply…does. It’s like he’s on a spinner table or something. Shoulders swing, and he’s headed somewhere else.

And I thought that Breece was a bit taller and more physical, but we have a couple more years to see how Abu develops.

In any case, the comparison is simply in their style, not to lasting mark on the program. Why would anyone try to do that after a kid’s first year?

I mean, aside from comparing Ben Brahmer to Charlie Kolar, of course. ;)

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
The part where you think we had a loaded offense? “Brock and Breece” alone do not make for a loaded offense. Even Brock, Breece, Charlie and Xavier do not make for a “loaded offense”.

Rocco, Abu, Ben, Jaylin, Jayden and a third wideout to be named later (Alston or Ngoyi, plus friends) is one whole hell of a lot closer to a loaded offense than what you’re assuming.

Remind me again, why did you change your username?

Might be a winner for dumbest post of the year. We also had a few recievers. I would take the Brock and Breece offense 1000 times over what we have next season and it’s not close

• Winner
Reactions: 83cy

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

No probably on Breece. That’s no offense to those other studs either. But Breece is an NFL home run hitter and arguably a top 5 back.

Reactions: enisthemenace

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Might be a winner for dumbest post of the year. We also had a few recievers. I would take the Brock and Breece offense 1000 times over what we have next season and it’s not close
Okay, let’s look at this.

X had a pile of catches. Landon Akers, Sean Shaw and Tarique Milton had a high of around 23 in ‘20, scaling down to 15.

Oh, and the OL was stretched to the limit after Downing and Remsburg were hurt. So much for “loaded”.

In ‘21, the third wideout was Milton, with 15 catches. Noel had 13. Jirehl was the second running back with a mere 179 yards.

So…what other wide receivers are you talking about?

And sure, if you want, Brock and Breece “over everyone”. But they only play two of the eleven spots on the field. That’s not a “loaded” offense by anyone stretch of the imagination.

That’s like the Hawkeye fans who try to mock ISU for not going undefeated with those two. Exactly like it.

At two positions, sure. At eleven? Are you serious, Clark?

It’s okay to be loyal. Let’s not be delusional on top of it.

Edited for my rudeness. Well, the worst part. My apologies, Drew.

And will also note that Milton’s stats are on the ‘21 cyclones.com dropdown when he was apparently gone by then?

Last edited:

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
What part of “eleven starters back, plus four transfers” was hard for you to grasp? Not once did Brock and Breece have that situation.

That aside from the fact that Rocco is pretty equivalent to Brock, while Abu is already compared to Breeceplus the talent surrounding them is better. And deeper.
Abu had flashes but I don’t think anyone is comparing him to Breece. Breece was one of the best football players in America when he left and is now a top tier RB in the NFL. Temper expectations

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Abu had flashes but I don’t think anyone is comparing him to Breece. Breece was one of the best football players in America when he left and is now a top tier RB in the NFL. Temper expectations
Try reading it again.

For one, “compared” is not a synonym for “equated”.

For another, the sentence literally said “has been compared to”. That’s not “expectations”, that’s a literal fact. And by more than one broadcaster.

Under the circumstances the words were uttered, I am assuming that they were referring to Abu’s acceleration and breakaway ability. That’s what’s called “a comparison”.

Not “equating”.

I am at a loss for why anyone would think that anyone would equate a freshman to an NFL player. Honestly, a total loss.

Here’s how it’s properly done.

Breece gained a couple hundreds more yards as a true freshman than Abu did as a true freshman. However, Abu averaged
7.3 ypc to Breece’s 4.8. At the same time, Breece caught (without looking) roughly twice as many passes as Abu.

That’s how you compare two players. Use matching parameters. Their freshman years. Zero expectations. The two at the same stage. Nothing more, nothing less

Anything more is fallacious. Pure speculation. All that we have to do is bring Mike Warren’s freshman season into the equation to definitively illustrate that point.

Want to see how the two compare in the future? Pick the similar point in their careers.

There now. See what it’s like to be chided?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Sorry, I thought it was clear that I was referring to the “slow start” that dear Drew was using to take a shot at our staff. And saying that with that many starters, it wasn’t likely. Guess I should have expanded more.

Oh, and that “new OC” is someone from within the system, not someone installing a brand new terminology and scheme.

To address your question, not only that new OC and the QB, but also that famously conservative head coach have already rather gleefully talked about going downfield more often.

I’ll point out that part of his reason for being so conservative has always been to take pressure off the defense—that whole “complementary football” thing. Well, this is starting to look like one heck of a defense, so maybe he thinks we can put the foot on the gas a little more often.

I mean, besides having more tools to do so than we have in his tenure. Maybe many more. Wideout is about to be stacked.

Sorry I didn’t make that clearer the first time.

Referring to that "slow start"........didn't ISU have a "new OC" last season? Someone from "within the system"? And how did September go again?

So I'm happy they are speaking "gleefully". But like most I will believe it when I see it.

Reactions: Drew0311

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Try reading it again.

For one, “compared” is not a synonym for “equated”.

For another, the sentence literally said “has been compared to”. That’s not “expectations”, that’s a literal fact. And by more than one broadcaster.

Under the circumstances the words were uttered, I am assuming that they were referring to Abu’s acceleration and breakaway ability. That’s what’s called “a comparison”.

Not “equating”.

I am at a loss for why anyone would think that anyone would equate a freshman to an NFL player. Honestly, a total loss.

Here’s how it’s properly done.

Breece gained a couple hundreds more yards as a true freshman than Abu did as a true freshman. However, Abu averaged
7.3 ypc to Breece’s 4.8. At the same time, Breece caught (without looking) roughly twice as many passes as Abu.

That’s how you compare two players. Use matching parameters. Their freshman years. Zero expectations. The two at the same stage. Nothing more, nothing less

Anything more is fallacious. Pure speculation. All that we have to do is bring Mike Warren’s freshman season into the equation to definitively illustrate that point.

Want to see how the two compare in the future? Pick the similar point in their careers.

There now. See what it’s like to be chided?
Take out the snow game in Manhattan. It’s one of my favorite games I have EVER watched in my life as a Cyclone but it also produced some anomalies.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
One has to think the offensive line will be better as all the players have been in the coaches system for an entire year. No more learning on the fly, they either have it now and its working or they are not going to get it. The staff also has another year to bring in the type of players they want on the offensive line instead of trying to make chicken salad out of chicken poop with kids that are not players you would recruit for your system.

Abu showed flashing last season, but to compare him to Hall as this point in Abu's career is an insult to Breece. One was an All American RB, the other had one great game, let's wait to see how it plays out.

Reactions: flycy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron