It's time for the Hyvee Classic to die

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
This new format is horrible. I don't care if we:

-Play home and home with both schools
-Play home and home but rotate between UNI/Drake every two years
-Play 2-for-1 series (that would be great)

But either way the current arrangement has to go.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Not sure this is the real reason why there is a HyVee Classic.

"Why? Well, it’s pretty simple—Iowa State and Iowa weren’t very good at basketball at the time and UNI and Drake were beating them when they played at home."

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
ce90359b-16a9-466d-a00c-29100e0ebe7d.png

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I’ve always had a fun time attending this in person (going tomorrow as well), but can’t argue with much of what you said in the article.*

*Other than the Hawkeyes competing in the top of the Big 10

Reactions: MJN

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Read this piece, It's time to go back to home and home with all the Iowa Schools.

http://thetailgatesociety.com/2017/12/we-must-destroy-the-hyvee-classic/
The Hy-Vee event needs to die. I hope it does.

I would like to see annual series with UNI and Drake continue with home and home series. I have always believed it is good to play instate games as they prepare you for the conference season in a way no other non-major program can on your schedule. Additionally, I believe that season ticket holders and student body groups should get to see instate schools in their own gym, the non-conference schedule needs value and such game provide that.
If ISU is cowardly enough to not want that- I propose a unique scheduling like the Drake game at WFA annually. Or possibly, a three year rotation w/ UNI and Drake playing Hilton, Knapp or McLeod and WFA in the rotation. Obviously, stagger the years that you play home, away or in DSM knowing that it will not always align perfectly.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Get rid of the Hy Vee Classic. The ISU-Iowa game should be played on the Saturday night instead. It is the main game in the whole state and we should push the rivalry as much as possible.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: clone34 and ISC

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
The event has grown on me, but I agree with a lot of what Alex said. Especially the lack of TV. You can't expect to get any sort of excitement from casual fans if they can't even watch the games.

I've also thought they should stop with the 2 game tickets. Sell tickets for the games individually. Maybe there wouldn't be enough interest to sell out but it sucks when half the seats don't care about the game being played or are empty.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I really don't see the issue with the way they do it now.

The only issue that I DO have is the broadcasting. I get its local and a local company may have the rights, but there needs to be ways to reach broader audiences.

Tomorrow will be my 2nd time attending in person. Downtown is always a buzz before and afterwards and I'm sure the local businesses enjoy it as well.

Big 10 Network is broadcasting the Iowa game.

Why can't we get an ESPN U crew to come in for Iowa States game?

I guess I don't see the issue with playing UNI or Drake at Wells Fargo?

"First, the format is terrible. There’s nothing “classic” about rotating two of the four opponents every year. It results in matchups like in 2014, when a top-15 Iowa State team pummeled a Drake squad that would end up winning only nine games"

So Iowa State would have pummeled Drake at home or in at the Knapp Center..Whats it matter that they did it in Wells Fargo?

Last edited:

NiceMarmot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2017
Potential unpopular opinion - this will be my 5th straight year going and I truly enjoy it. For those of us who live in DSM and don't have season tickets at Hilton, it's a fun opportunity to see ISU play in person.

I also find it interesting that they've changed the scheduling for this. Iowa State and Iowa originally rotated who played the late game, with one school playing late in back-to-back years and then the other playing the late game in the next two years. Iowa State is playing the late game for the 3rd straight season and according to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_Big_Four_men's_college_basketball), they will be the late game through 2019.