Jalynn Bristow Transferring

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I don't have a current list of preferred coaches - not my thing. There are a number of innovative lower-level coaches out there who would jump at an Iowa State opportunity, some with ISU connections.

To be biased towards something means you favor it over something else. To be biased against something means you do not favor it over something else. So to be biased towards dogs means that you favor dogs over something else, such as cats. Sometimes, people just say "I am biased" to mean they favor something.

I don't hate Bill, I appreciate the improvement he's facilitated in the program (over 29 years) and you can search until the cows come home, you'll never find a statement from me suggesting he should be relieved of his duties.

I am on a first name basis with a prominent family of Cyclone WBB players (current & former), so I have more insight, for the time being at least, than the average fan. I am careful not to betray their confidence, especially when it comes to happenings involving CBF. I've actually spent a significant amount of two-on-one time with the man - he sat with my wife and me at multiple games over several years when he was recruiting at City High - we were friendly faces wearing ISU sweatshirts and he sought us out after the first event. I don't hate Bill but he's not the nicest guy I've ever met.

To slightly edit a comment made by NWIACY earlier, "I'm a fan of the team, not the coach - no individual is ever more important than the team."

In other news, "Generalismo Francisco Franco is still dead", and I'm still disappointed Jalynn Bristow has decided to leave Ames.
So you don't favor something else over CBF? Seems quite the contrary to what you have said for well over a year now.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I don't have a current list of preferred coaches - not my thing. There are a number of innovative lower-level coaches out there who would jump at an Iowa State opportunity, some with ISU connections.

To be biased towards something means you favor it over something else. To be biased against something means you do not favor it over something else. So to be biased towards dogs means that you favor dogs over something else, such as cats. Sometimes, people just say "I am biased" to mean they favor something.

I don't hate Bill, I appreciate the improvement he's facilitated in the program (over 29 years) and you can search until the cows come home, you'll never find a statement from me suggesting he should be relieved of his duties.

I am on a first name basis with a prominent family of Cyclone WBB players (current & former), so I have more insight, for the time being at least, than the average fan. I am careful not to betray their confidence, especially when it comes to happenings involving CBF. I've actually spent a significant amount of two-on-one time with the man - he sat with my wife and me at multiple games over several years when he was recruiting at City High - we were friendly faces wearing ISU sweatshirts and he sought us out after the first event. I don't hate Bill but he's not the nicest guy I've ever met.

To slightly edit a comment made by NWIACY earlier, "I'm a fan of the team, not the coach - no individual is ever more important than the team."

In other news, "Generalismo Francisco Franco is still dead", and I'm still disappointed Jalynn Bristow has decided to leave Ames.
So you're getting your info from an idiot, go on.

Reactions: Jnecker4cy

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA

I am disappointed she has left also. Never said otherwise.

Question, for you, or your prominent family of Cyclone WBB friends. If things are so bad, why do they still have a daughter on the current roster?

swclone11

Feb 17, 2024
There's no point in even discussing with someone who's claiming to have some sort of vaunted inside info. No one knows if it's true, and if it is, no one can testify to exactly what they think based off conversations with people outside the program. People like to vent, simple as that. Talking much more about it leads to blowing things out of proportion and making guesswork and assumptions where there shouldn't be any.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
There's no point in even discussing with someone who's claiming to have some sort of vaunted inside info. No one knows if it's true, and if it is, no one can testify to exactly what they think based off conversations with people outside the program. People like to vent, simple as that. Talking much more about it leads to blowing things out of proportion and making guesswork and assumptions where there shouldn't be any.
The flaw in their post is they all but admitted their source is a freaking out of control nut job. My only question is between Ryan, Belanger, Brown and Jackson who did he think his daughter should be getting minutes over?

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Cymark86

Dec 2, 2023
This is one of the reasons I come here. For someone who HAS inside info. Do you think he/she is making this up? Good grief. The guy doesn’t agree with you. That’s ok on a message board.

Reactions: ChiClone22

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
If you write a big enough ck to the A D. You can probably get the changes you seek.
Wbb is a pleasant way to spend time in the winter. After that it's way above my pay grade to decide things. The recruiting has picked up the last couple of years. I'm good with seeing where it takes us.
I think that ICCYFAN has the same line of thinking as myself and some others do if I am interpreting his posts correctly. Bill has earned the right to retire on his terms but IMO he hasn't earned the right to designate his replacement and that is due in large part the lack of conference titles and a desire to make more extended NCAA tourney runs beyond the first weekend.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I think that ICCYFAN has the same line of thinking as myself and some others do if I am interpreting his posts correctly. Bill has earned the right to retire on his terms but IMO he hasn't earned the right to designate his replacement and that is due in large part the lack of conference titles and a desire to make more extended NCAA tourney runs beyond the first weekend.

I know of no one on this board that Bill should hand pick his replacement. It's all above my pay grade, if I become dissatisfied enough I'll drop my tickets.

That's what I'm doing with FB this yr, not dissatisfied with the product but for the time involved and not really having a tailgate group. It's easier to drop the tickets than put in the effort.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I thought in 2000 or so, after his house on fire start at ISU, that we would be on the verge of winning the conference frequently and making lots of deep NCAA runs. That happened for the Sooners and than Baylor. I sort of gave up on us being built into something like that and just have ridden along to see how we will do in the NCAA most season. Given his age I think this current class is maybe Fennelly's last hurrah and chance at an Elite Eight. His age and the uncertainty of who will be coaching at some point makes recruiting 2028 challenging.

In a somewhat watered down and weakened BIG 12 we really should be favored to win a title or two in the next three years. Anything less would be pretty disappointing. Wildcard is the number of teams and unbalanced schedules maybe giving someone a easy path.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I thought in 2000 or so, after his house on fire start at ISU, that we would be on the verge of winning the conference frequently and making lots of deep NCAA runs. That happened for the Sooners and than Baylor. I sort of gave up on us being built into something like that and just have ridden along to see how we will do in the NCAA most season. Given his age I think this current class is maybe Fennelly's last hurrah and chance at an Elite Eight. His age and the uncertainty of who will be coaching at some point makes recruiting 2028 challenging.

In a somewhat watered down and weakened BIG 12 we really should be favored to win a title or two in the next three years. Anything less would be pretty disappointing. Wildcard is the number of teams and unbalanced schedules maybe giving someone a easy path.
Regarding your underlined point above which I agree with, that "uncertainty" should not facilitate a "coach in waiting" decision path.

Both UU and CU had teams comparable to BU and OU this past season although not quite as good as UT (despite OU winning the regular season title). Zona recently played in the 2021 national title game. I have no idea what those teams return for next season but while the loss of UT will weaken the conference some, the 4 new PAC WBB programs are certainly stronger than last season's new entrants (BYU, UH, UC, UCF). That said, the opportunity for ISU to win an outright conference title next season has perhaps never been higher even though ISU was the preseason 22-23 favorite.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Regarding your underlined point above which I agree with, that "uncertainty" should not facilitate a "coach in waiting" decision path.

Both UU and CU had teams comparable to BU and OU this past season although not quite as good as UT (despite OU winning the regular season title). Zona recently played in the 2021 national title game. I have no idea what those teams return for next season but while the loss of UT will weaken the conference some, the 4 new PAC WBB programs are certainly stronger than last season's new entrants (BYU, UH, UC, UCF). That said, the opportunity for ISU to win an outright conference title next season has perhaps never been higher even though ISU was the preseason 22-23 favorite.
Looks like Utah losses it's best player to graduation and I think Colorado Loses quite a few seniors. Arizona struggled to keep 8 girls on the roster this year, they held an open tryout mid season like TCU did. They did get to an NCAA play in game. So I think we certainly should be battling for a title next year.

swclone11

Feb 17, 2024
Looks like Utah losses it's best player to graduation and I think Colorado Loses quite a few seniors. Arizona struggled to keep 8 girls on the roster this year, they held an open tryout mid season like TCU did. They did get to an NCAA play in game. So I think we certainly should be battling for a title next year.
Definitely. Utah/Arizona will be decent enough that can help with resumes. I'm hoping/believing that it will be a Baylor/ISU battle at the top, with Utah/Arizona/K-State/WVU filling in behind.

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
I hate the losing Bristow and her potential as much as anyone. I understand her homesickness and am guessing she might land next at a school a lot closer to home.

On top of that issue, I want to hope that the LSU transfer Williams has progressed and developed enough that Jalynn saw that limiting her playing time next year. If that is the case, we are gong to be in good shape yet going forward.

Reactions: riceville98

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Lordy…how did we get back to CBF choosing his successor. This whole grading his success on a lack of conference titles is ridiculous. If you don’t like how the team performs find something else to do with your winter dollars.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Lordy…how did we get back to CBF choosing his successor. This whole grading his success on a lack of conference titles is ridiculous. If you don’t like how the team performs find something else to do with your winter dollars.
When you have someone bragging about having a raving lunatic as their source it's going to go straight to crazy.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Didn’t Jenny B and CBFhave a good relationship while she was at Drake. And Brenda F. and CBF seemed like they had mutual respect for each other. Just think when CBF does retire, ISU should look for the best coach available, wherever .

Reactions: VeloClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Didn’t Jenny B and CBFhave a good relationship while she was at Drake. And Brenda F. and CBF seemed like they had mutual respect for each other. Just think when CBF does retire, ISU should look for the best coach available, wherever .

I agree with you.I think Brenda has been at Maryland too long to look at moving back. Jenny has things going well at OU. I'd be a little surprised if either one of them would take the ISU job.

I don't even know what a appropriate starting salary would be for a new WBB coach in Ames. We know the program doesn't make money, so how far in the hole do you go?

Reactions: riceville98