Jamie Pollard on KXNO today

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
Based on this statement alone, you think the committee is comprised of a big group of AD’s and staff who don’t pay attention? They just get together on selection Sunday and go from there?

Take the tinfoil hats off everyone.
Yes.

These guys don't have time or knowledge about the sport to watch all these games and make these judgments.

Reactions: CycloneErik

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Yes.

These guys don't have time or knowledge about the sport to watch all these games and make these judgments.
Yet, majority of CF posters, who I assume have families, full time jobs, and hobbies do?

I am really trying not to be argumentative or disagreeable I enjoy having some back and forth but we lost to a lower seed. Plain and simple. In my mind, don’t lose to k state in the last weekend of the year and the conversation no is likely different.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I don't think DePaul was supposed to be quite that bad.
Obviously they weren't projected to go 0-20.

But in both 2021/22 & 2022/23 DePaul finished 10th in an 11 team conference. Over those same 2 seasons ISU was an NCAA Tournament team. IMO ISU was let down by whoever scheduled the Big12/Big East Challenge.

In fact, DePaul is so bad they have finished 10th or 11th every year for over a decade!!!:)

• Informative
Reactions: RezClone

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Again, if it meant nothing we would not have been a 2 seed. Wazzu finished 14-6 2nd in a bad conference. Their reward? A 7 seed.
I said in a previous post that I'm talking about our seeding relative to teams in our seeding territory. When it came to putting those teams in order, our conference performance over 21 games did not matter compared to the 13 outside of it. Quad 1/2 wins didn't matter. The primary factor was our losses to Texas A&M and VT.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
.The DePaul game isn't the killer it was if you spend fractionally more money to bring in a couple Valley, A10, AAC teams rather than the dreck they chose. Is there a chance that you pick wrong and the game is more competitive than you want it to be? Sure but it's still most likely a double digit win against a team 200 places higher in the NET that the metrics are also going to reward.
No decent Valley or A10 programs would even consider a home only offer from Iowa State for any realistic amount of money. (The offer has been on the table for UNI and Drake since the Big Four Classic dissolved as CW has told us countless times, including very recently.)

maaaybe "the dregs" like Valpo or UIC might consider it out of temporary desperation but even their dollar figure would be far from marginal, I assure you. Unless you consider an amount ranging from something like Jon Heacock's salary down to our 3rd bball assistant's salary "marginal", because Iowa State sure doesn't.

We're talking something like lets schedule less SWAC teams and more America East or MAAC teams like Bryant or Iona, respectively. Which I actually think we can and should do and that would cost a realistically manageable amount more. But we're not gonna get close to the top 100 SOS that way.

Every single AAC team would reject a home only offer from ISU out of hand. Now if you wanna debate whether a home and home with Tulsa, Tulane, Wichita St, or UAB moves the needle enough with the committee with no financial loss or additional cost to ISU, then that's fine, that's entirely debatable. But that's what we are working with here best case scenario IMO. And it's another discussion entirely than ISU can afford this or that and the committee's legitimate criticism will just evaporate away.

I think the criticism the big 12 received was a much more coordinated and effective tactic employed masterfully by the Big ten and SEC. They can and will move the goalposts when needed and the NCAA will follow suit like the feckless turds they are, to put it mildly. In their defense, the big 12 didn't exactly do much on the court to counter it in response, and that's on us for sure.

Lots of people need to get paid, lots of things need to be funded, and we just agreed to split the new TV deal with 4 more schools for less money than the already comparably small 31.7mil we thought we had coming. Illinois might have the money to throw around, we 100% do not.

Last edited:

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
No decent Valley or A10 programs would even consider a home only offer from Iowa State for any realistic amount of money. (The offer has been on the table for UNI and Drake since the Big Four Classic dissolved as CW has told us countless times, including very recently.)

maaaybe "the dregs" like Valpo or UIC might consider it out of temporary desperation but even their dollar figure would be far from marginal, I assure you. Unless you consider an amount ranging from something like Jon Heacock's salary down to our 3rd bball assistant's salary "marginal", because Iowa State sure doesn't.

We're talking something like lets schedule less SWAC teams and more America East or MAAC teams like Bryant or Iona, respectively. Which I actually think we can and should do and that would cost a realistically manageable amount more. But we're not gonna get close to the top 100 SOS that way.

Every single AAC team would reject a home only offer from ISU out of hand. Now if you wanna debate whether a home and home with Tulsa, Tulane, Wichita St, or UAB moves the needle enough with the committee with no financial loss or additional cost to ISU, then that's fine, that's entirely debatable. But that's what we are working with here best case scenario IMO. And it's another discussion entirely than ISU can afford this or that and the committee's legitimate criticism will just evaporate away.

I think the criticism the big 12 received was a much more coordinated and effective tactic employed masterfully by the Big ten and SEC. They can and will move the goalposts when needed and the NCAA will follow suit like the feckless turds they are, to put it mildly. In their defense, the big 12 didn't exactly do much on the court to counter it in response, and that's on us for sure.

Lots of people need to get paid, lots of things need to be funded, and we just agreed to split the new TV deal with 4 more schools for less money than the already comparably small 31.7mil we thought we had coming. Illinois might have the money to throw around, we 100% do not.
In regards to the bolded... if they are not willing to do a home only for say $250k, which would fund 1.5 to 2 of their coaching staff members I assume... why are we supposed to be sad when they dont have the money they need?

Or is this because they can get more elsewhere?

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Maybe I'm missing something, but how would their competition be state-subsidized? I assume any companies who end up in CyTown will need to pay a lease just like any other location, likely at higher cost - is that not the case?
iirc it was mentioned cytown wouldnt pay property tax being a university owned property?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

They absolutely would consider a buy game if Iowa State was offering the market rate. UNI has been bought by Colorado, Virginia and Arkansas over the past few years. Drake took a buy from freaking Nevada this year for a 'neutral site' game. The new AAC and A10 would absolutely entertain offers to play in Ames if the market rate is paid.

The difference is $25-35k to greatly up the NET ranking of buy games. It's not a fortune when you've got a P5 budget.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
In regards to the bolded... if they are not willing to do a home only for say $250k, which would fund 1.5 to 2 of their coaching staff members I assume... why are we supposed to be sad when they dont have the money they need?

Or is this because they can get more elsewhere?
Yes and yes. They can get more money elsewhere, but also you would be suprised the home and homes the Valley and A10 have leveraged themselves into these days:

Off the top of my head:
-UNC went to CEDAR FREAKING FALLS a few months ago.
-UAB in the AAC plays AT Drake this year.
-Northwestern is playing a true road game AT Dayton this year.

And no we shouldn't feel bad for them at all, nor should we listen to them accuse ISU of being flush with cash when the $$$$ discrepancy between ISU and Illinois is actually going to be BIGGER than the discrepancy between UNI and ISU.

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Yes and yes. They can get more money elsewhere, but also you would be suprised home games the Valley and A10 teams are pulling these days:

Off the top of my head:

And no we shouldn't feel bad for them at all, nor should we listen to them accuse ISU of being flush with cash when the $$$$ discrepancy between ISU and Illinois is actually going to be BIGGER than the discrepancy between UNI and ISU.
UNC did a 2 for 1 with UNI, and it done to get Marcus Paige a game in Iowa.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Their game this year was part of the battle for Atlantis tournament. That wasn't in cedar falls
Oh OK. I think I was mixing that up with Steve Prohm's return to Iowa lol!!

The point still stands. There's more, but I don't want to look them all up right now. You can include buy games too out of our price range but I'd rather not.

The real solution is home and homes with similar profile programs. Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin. But, ya know. There was that Missouri home and home with Porter Jr., but that's the only exception.

Last edited:

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Yes and yes. They can get more money elsewhere, but also you would be suprised the home and homes the Valley and A10 have leveraged themselves into these days:

Off the top of my head:

cedar falls is beautiful in the winter

1712248628319.png

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The Valley hadn't hosted a P6 since 2018 when UNI hosted Xavier and Illinois State hosted Ole Miss until this year when Oklahoma State played at Southern Illinois and the two NIT games at Indiana State.

Obviously no choice on the NIT games and the Oklahoma State-SIU game only happened because SIUs former coach now runs the collective at OSU.

Those games just flat don't happen anymore.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
The Valley hadn't hosted a P6 since 2018 when UNI hosted Xavier and Illinois State hosted Ole Miss until this year when Oklahoma State played at Southern Illinois and the two NIT games at Indiana State.

Obviously no choice on the NIT games and the Oklahoma State-SIU game only happened because SIUs former coach now runs the collective at OSU.

Those games just flat don't happen anymore.
do you know what MTE Drake and/or UNI are in 2024-25?