Jamie Pollard on KXNO today

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
What that tells me is the Selection Committee is NOT paying a lot of attention to Lunardi, Ken Palm, analytics services or media clickbait!

When a Selection Committee is comprised of AD's, then Regular Season Conference Titles and wins against other top P6 teams matter most.

Losses to Va Tech (10-10 ACC) and Texas A&M (9-9 SEC) pushed ISU out of #1 seed consideration.

Well, the ADs don't pay attention to much of anything, nor do whatever staffers actually put these together.

Your second paragraph is some weak logic, since ISU in conference play piled up a ton of top P6 wins, including 2 over Houston. If those matter, then we're a #1.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Well, the ADs don't pay attention to much of anything, nor do whatever staffers actually put these together.

Your second paragraph is some weak logic, since ISU in conference play piled up a ton of top P6 wins, including 2 over Houston. If those matter, then we're a #1.
Based on this statement alone, you think the committee is comprised of a big group of AD’s and staff who don’t pay attention? They just get together on selection Sunday and go from there?

Take the tinfoil hats off everyone.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
my dream would be a place like the Iowa Athletic Club in Coralville next to the Xtreme arena

Agreed and actually, mimicking the Iowa River Landing area would be awesome and a great blueprint. Not sure it would draw the year-round traffic needed, though.

https://iowariverlanding.com/about/

Same with the types of shops and businesses at Prairie Trail in Ankeny.

https://www.prairietrailankeny.com/b2b/partners/

Reactions: exCYtable

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Based on this statement alone, you think the committee is comprised of a big group of AD’s and staff who don’t pay attention? They just get together on selection Sunday and go from there?

The ADs absolutely don't. That's just a show thing for a nice little networking trip these guys go for.
The staffers paid attention to names on jerseys. They don't dive deep into anything else.

• Informative
Reactions: Messi and ClubCy

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
Not sure, what does that have to do with the way ISU was seeded? That is why I mentioned in my post that we didn't run into a juggernaught team of destiny that NC State seems to be this year. We lost to Illinois who got pounded by UConn.

I was all for the argument of bad seeding ISU before the S16, but it just seems dumb at this point to keep pounding the same argument over and over after we lost to Illinois. We came out flat and pissed the Illinois game away in the first half. That was probably something the committee had on their mind, knowing we go into these baffling 5-10 minute scoring droughts all the time and eventually, it's going to catch up to you.
Because results in the tournament do not, in any way, reflect the seeding accuracy

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Agreed and actually, mimicking the Iowa River Landing area would be awesome and a great blueprint. Not sure it would draw the year-round traffic needed, though.

https://iowariverlanding.com/about/

Same with the types of shops and businesses at Prairie Trail in Ankeny.

https://www.prairietrailankeny.com/b2b/partners/

To be honest, I'm a bit concerned about what CyTown might do to some of the local establishments. For instance, I could see a nice venue in CyTown pulling the wrestling post-game gatherings away from Wallaby's. Impact could also be felt by Provisions, Aunt Maude's, Sweet Caroline's, etc.. I doubt if the owners of these places are thrilled with state-subsidized competition.

• Agree
Reactions: isu81

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
To be honest, I'm a bit concerned about what CyTown might do to some of the local establishments. For instance, I could see a nice venue in CyTown pulling the wrestling post-game gatherings away from Wallaby's. Impact could also be felt by Provisions, Aunt Maude's, Sweet Caroline's, etc.. I doubt if the owners of these places are thrilled with state-subsidized competition.
I disagree in the sense that Cytown establishments will be the first to fill up post game due to location, and other places will be fine. They might draw in crowds of people that otherwise wouldn't go out after games/matches.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
NCSOS matters for the health of the sport. The sport struggles with regular season relevance enough and if we reward teams for completely punting on the first two months that's going to get even worse.
What exactly do we expect JP to do? Just curious. We're going to have to get very creative in ways that I don't think everyone understands to make a significantly better NCSOS. Likely expensive creative ways, too.

1)Iowa State has one of the toughest times scheduling non-cons outside of tournaments. The bluebloods see a home and home with ISU and a trip to Hilton as a high risk NO reward proposition. They prefer to play "each other."

2) Similarly profiled programs see it as a high risk LOW rewards proposition compared to other options because they will take an L at Hilton and don't feel we bring enough cache as a name brand with a hard fought home win and split. (Obviously TJ is working hard to change that in the future, but that's probably not going to change anytime super soon.)

3) Lower profiled elite mid majors, etc. might jump at the chance but Iowa State sees THAT as a high risk low reward proposition.

4)We don't have a bunch of extra money lying around with which we can afford to grease the wheels or give up home gates like certain other schools do.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

Maybe I'm missing something, but how would their competition be state-subsidized? I assume any companies who end up in CyTown will need to pay a lease just like any other location, likely at higher cost - is that not the case?

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
What exactly do we expect JP to do? Just curious. We're going to have to get very creative in ways that I don't think everyone understands to make a significantly better NCSOS. Likely expensive creative ways, too.

1)Iowa State has one of the toughest times scheduling non-cons outside of tournaments. The bluebloods see a home and home with ISU and a trip to Hilton as a high risk NO reward proposition. They prefer to play "each other."

2) Similarly profiled programs see it as a high risk LOW rewards proposition compared to other options because they will take an L at Hilton and don't feel we bring enough cache as a name brand with a hard fought home win and split. (Obviously TJ is working hard to change that in the future, but that's probably not going to change anytime super soon.)

3) Lower profiled elite mid majors, etc. might jump at the chance but Iowa State sees THAT as a high risk low reward proposition.

4)We don't have a bunch of extra money lying around with which we can afford to grease the wheels or give up home gates like certain other schools do.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, people act like we can just pick any of the 300+ teams in the country to show up to Hilton on any given week. Guessing there are a lot fewer options to choose from in any given year.

• Agree
Reactions: RezClone

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

4)We don't have a bunch of extra money lying around to grease the wheels or give up home gates like certain other schools that we are objectively better than can afford to do.
You're talking to the wrong guy about how difficult and out of whack college basketball scheduling is. I have zero sympathy for the Power leagues when it comes to scheduling. Iowa State absolutely has the money to schedule better and JP and the staff simply chose not to this year. It's also totally disingenuous for JP to brag about 'strategic scheduling' when he knew it was going to bite his own team when he sat in the room. He and the staff got surprised by how good this team ended up being and that's fine, we don't have crystal balls.

The DePaul game isn't the killer it was if you spend fractionally more money to bring in a couple Valley, A10, AAC teams rather than the dreck they chose. Is there a chance that you pick wrong and the game is more competitive than you want it to be? Sure but it's still most likely a double digit win against a team 200 places higher in the NET that the metrics are also going to reward.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Agreed. If there were no pre-con tournaments to contend with this might make sense, but just like the real tournament it’s luck of the draw every year what pre-con event a team gets invited to. Now tournaments like the JB are popping up and we aren’t even a candidate for it. Adidas will probably have the same thing soon.

The whole non con debate will always favor the blue bloods. Teams like Kansas get the Champions Classic every year plus other marquee games put on by promoters. It's really hard for a non blue blood to schedule these games outside of the holiday tournaments. Look at Iowa State. Illinois, Minnesota, and Wisconsin aren't looking for a home and home with us and we don't exactly have a lot of good neutral court options.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Again, if it meant nothing we would not have been a 2 seed. Wazzu finished 14-6 2nd in a bad conference. Their reward? A 7 seed.

We were a loss to Baylor or Houston in KC from being a 3 seed...

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

If the committee was at all interested in putting together an accurate field they would lean into the metrics and analytics and stop counting certain games twice against teams. It's f*cking dumb and it's obvious they are pushing for storylines as well.

Reactions: RezClone

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Yep. Which proves my point that the “non conference games were considered more important” narrative is not a real thing.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The committee will value those conference games over a Q3 or Q4 game though. 20 games is the right move.

We were already 16th toughest out of 362 teams and they said our schedule wasn't tough enough. We literally almost cannot move up in the SOS ranking...but we're going to try anyway.

It's insane to make the conference schedule harder than it already is.

I agree with you in principle, but their criteria is completely nonsensical. As another poster here points out, they're basically using non conf games TWICE in their decisions since it's also a part of the full season SOS.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

But UConn (18 conf wins), Tenn (14) , UNC (17), Purdue (17) and Arizona (15) also piled up a ton of top P6 wins. In and out of conference play.

Obviously, the Selection Committee isn't without bias. They have conference affiliations! So barring ISU having non-con wins over teams better than Iowa and DePaul- it's a tough argument that ISU deserves to be seeded above a P6 Champ.

I would 100% agree polls and rankings have a bias toward blue-bloods and teams in the pre-season Top 10. Those pre-season Top 10 also have the benefit of ESPN, CBS and FOX putting those teams in spotlight national TV games.

My disappointment is toward whoever created the Big12/Big East Challenge schedule. How did it benefit ISU, coming of successive NCAA Tournament bids, to play the Big East's perennial celler dweller DePaul?

Reactions: Dormeezy and ClubCy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
We were already 16th toughest out of 362 teams and they said our schedule wasn't tough enough. We literally almost cannot move up in the SOS ranking...but we're going to try anyway.

It's insane to make the conference schedule harder than it already is.

I agree with you in principle, but their criteria is completely nonsensical. As another poster here points out, they're basically using non conf games TWICE in their decisions since it's also a part of the full season SOS.
I've been beating that drum for weeks. It's friggin nonsense but the committee gets away with it.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
But UConn (18 conf wins), Tenn (14) , UNC (17), Purdue (17) and Arizona (15) also piled up a ton of top P6 wins. In and out of conference play.

Obviously, the Selection Committee isn't without bias. They have conference affiliations! So barring ISU having non-con wins over teams better than Iowa and DePaul- it's a tough argument that ISU deserves to be seeded above a P6 Champ.

I would 100% agree polls and rankings have a bias toward blue-bloods and teams in the pre-season Top 10. Those pre-season Top 10 also have the benefit of ESPN, CBS and FOX putting those teams in spotlight national TV games.

My disappointment is toward whoever created the Big12/Big East Challenge schedule. How did it benefit ISU, coming of successive NCAA Tournament bids, to play the Big East's perennial celler dweller DePaul?

I don't think DePaul was supposed to be quite that bad.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Could be and we'll likely never know, but I'm starting to think the top 16-20 teams are seeded at the end of the season.
Conference tournaments mean basically nothing to P5 and the committee only moves teams up/down to satisfy location or match up rules.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron