Retirement Targets

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
NVDA is up 2,100% (ish) from our purchase

When to sell is my concern. I trimmed the position at one point to triple our earnings, but that's lost us quite a bit as it keeps running.
Depends on your age, risk tolerance, and what percent of the remaining holdings are as a percent of your invested public equities, including etf's, etc. With selling enough to get 3x original return (hopefully all LT gains), you now apply those questions to yourself and your strategy on investments. As an example, if u are over age 60 and it represents 30% of your holdings then I would probably trim some more. If you are below age 45 and it represents 30% then I would hold.

If you exclude 7 stocks, market returns are dismal the past 2-3 years. Consumer consumption is still strong, but inflation costs are starting to slow them down. Corporate stocks are feeling the pinch of inflation, labor costs, and a general slow down. This has been hidden by the magnificent 7, buts cracks are appearing. Ask yourself if can withstand a 25% decrease across the board of all equities. If you can then ride out a decrease as a buying opportunity. If you can't ride it out then trim some more.

Nothing complicated that you have not already thought about, but very few people take emotion out of the equation and stick to a plan.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Yeah I tossed some change at it for giggles. Following reddits high and low posters has been something else. Who knows if they can keep that rolling enough to be worth it.
Watching meme stocks has become a guilty pleasure of mine since GameStop. I haven't had the stones to throw real money at them yet, but it's fun to watch the calamity of it all.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Watching meme stocks has become a guilty pleasure of mine since GameStop. I haven't had the stones to throw real money at them yet, but it's fun to watch the calamity of it all.
Supposedly the CEO said "“we will overcome the short selling”" which is all the buzz right now. No idea what his intention was with that, but he seems confident on that company pushing forward. I guess some celebs are buying in, but ultimately its only them that can afford these anyway.

ISUConE

Feb 1, 2019

When to sell is my concern. I trimmed the position at one point to triple our earnings, but that's lost us quite a bit as it keeps running.
I’m long NVDA for the next 5-10+ years. It’s had a great run, but we are in the beginning stages of AI. They are well positioned for the long term. Going to have to stomach the ups and downs along the way.

I bought AAPL stock when I was 16 and my biggest regret over the last 20+ years is selling shares occasionally to book some profits. I’ve told myself I won’t have the same regret with NVDA.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016

Jensen is such a great CEO, at least what we can see in public. So diplomatic in his responses also.

Reactions: ISUConE

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
I’m long NVDA for the next 5-10+ years. It’s had a great run, but we are in the beginning stages of AI. They are well positioned for the long term. Going to have to stomach the ups and downs along the way.

I bought AAPL stock when I was 16 and my biggest regret over the last 20+ years is selling shares occasionally to book some profits. I’ve told myself I won’t have the same regret with NVDA.
I assume there will be significant product cycles in there with upgrades that people won't be able to pass up. What's after Blackwell? Has to be in the pipe already.

I'd say stay in NVDA as long as Jensen has control. Whenever he departs then reassess it all. Also depends on investor versus trader type mentality.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Depends on your age, risk tolerance, and what percent of the remaining holdings are as a percent of your invested public equities, including etf's, etc. With selling enough to get 3x original return (hopefully all LT gains), you now apply those questions to yourself and your strategy on investments. As an example, if u are over age 60 and it represents 30% of your holdings then I would probably trim some more. If you are below age 45 and it represents 30% then I would hold.

If you exclude 7 stocks, market returns are dismal the past 2-3 years. Consumer consumption is still strong, but inflation costs are starting to slow them down. Corporate stocks are feeling the pinch of inflation, labor costs, and a general slow down. This has been hidden by the magnificent 7, buts cracks are appearing. Ask yourself if can withstand a 25% decrease across the board of all equities. If you can then ride out a decrease as a buying opportunity. If you can't ride it out then trim some more.

Nothing complicated that you have not already thought about, but very few people take emotion out of the equation and stick to a plan.
Earnings have kept up so far. If we get the magical soft landing with the Fed lowering rates I think the boom is on. I don't quite see how that happens, but I think the Fed will let time be their friend rather than trying to hammer any more to get that last 1% out of inflation. Housing is screwing up things big time and raising rates is not going to help that. I think higher gas prices become more restrictive also. People have to cut back on other stuff or just plain drive/travel less.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
My retirement plan…..

I’m joking, but I’m also kinda not joking.

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90