Jared Barnett's Roosevelt Roughriders

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
My son graduated from Roosevelt so he was interested in the game. He lives in Solana Beach, CA now so I kept him up to date on how the game was going. He then graduated from ISU so we'll text back and forth during the game today.

Kind of an interesting twist on the Roosevelt game with both coaching staffs being ex-ISU football players.

Last edited:

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Jamison Patton was the difference in the game. He has an ISU offer at safety buy plays QB full time and a good amount of time at safety. Roosevelt should have won bigger, they dominated the game. They have really aggressive and athletic LBs and secondary. And Keith Murphy’s kid is solid at DE in their 3 man front. Good athlete who beats bigger guys with quickness. I’m excited to see Roosevelt having success after having been invested in their Rider Club youth program for many years. It takes a village because we have a lot of kids from challenging backgrounds that need rides, equipment, meals, you name it.

Watched a little of the game on WHOTV HS stream and Patton definitely looks next level physically. He reminds me a lot of Alan Lazard when he was at Urbandale. He is just so much more athletic than the guys he's playing against that other guys look in slow-motion.

I doubt Patten is a D1 QB, but definitely has body to be D1 safety or LB.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
13 years I heard? That’s ridiculous. Wish Roosevelt could have stayed with the suburban schools for the new conferences.
The new conferences don't affect football, and as far as the other sports I'd say Roosevelt is a better fit with the new conference. Football is really where Roosevelt stands apart from the city schools.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Watched a little of the game on WHOTV HS stream and Patton definitely looks next level physically. He reminds me a lot of Alan Lazard when he was at Urbandale. He is just so much more athletic than the guys he's playing against that other guys look in slow-motion.

I doubt Patten is a D1 QB, but definitely has body to be D1 safety or LB.
I'd say he's definitely an FBS player, but he is not close to an FBS QB. The kid is a great player, though and seems like one of those many D1 guys that were the best athletes on their team, play QB and make plays, but just aren't D1 level QBs.

I hope he comes to ISU and plays safety or WR. Seems like a kid that loves the game and just makes plays.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Anyone familiar with the Roosevelt football renaissance, what’s the biggest factor in the success? I’m guessing improved culture raising the floor of the low-end players and also keeping the high end talent from transferring to a suburb school? (*cough* Dowling *cough*)

Reactions: aauummm

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Anyone familiar with the Roosevelt football renaissance, what’s the biggest factor in the success? I’m guessing improved culture raising the floor of the low-end players and also keeping the high end talent from transferring to a suburb school? (*cough* Dowling *cough*)
I'm not terribly familiar with the recent success specifically, but I used to live in the district. I'd say that vs. the other city schools (maybe along with Lincoln) it was always set up to be solid if they got a good coach that would come in and develop the right culture, including working with younger kids. The last coach seemed to come in and do that. Hopefully Barnett can do that.

I know guys that have coached at Hoover, and it seems to me it's just such an uphill battle at Hoover, East, and North in football. The guy I know that coached at Hoover said he had so many kids that would have to miss or be late to practice because they had to watch younger siblings while a single parent worked, or they had to work themselves. It's one thing to find 7 guys and a system to be competitive in basketball. It's a totally different challenge to try to get the number of good players needed, and the level of continuity it takes to execute with that type of situation.

That doesn't mean it couldn't work at North, Hoover or East, but it's probably more difficult. The economics of neighborhoods and families in the Roosevelt area are considerably better than those other city schools in my opinion.

BigD

Mar 12, 2014
Getting the youth program going was a major step. My son graduated from Roosevelt in 2018 and his class was the first to be able to play through all the years of the youth program. When he was a junior, the senior class had 7 players and his senior class had 25 players.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I'm not terribly familiar with the recent success specifically, but I used to live in the district. I'd say that vs. the other city schools (maybe along with Lincoln) it was always set up to be solid if they got a good coach that would come in and develop the right culture, including working with younger kids. The last coach seemed to come in and do that. Hopefully Barnett can do that.

I know guys that have coached at Hoover, and it seems to me it's just such an uphill battle at Hoover, East, and North in football. The guy I know that coached at Hoover said he had so many kids that would have to miss or be late to practice because they had to watch younger siblings while a single parent worked, or they had to work themselves. It's one thing to find 7 guys and a system to be competitive in basketball. It's a totally different challenge to try to get the number of good players needed, and the level of continuity it takes to execute with that type of situation.

That doesn't mean it couldn't work at North, Hoover or East, but it's probably more difficult. The economics of neighborhoods and families in the Roosevelt area are considerably better than those other city schools in my opinion.

Good post. Heard stories of how tough North and East were back in the day. The building of Hoover, then the merging with Tech and open enrollment killed North. It would be interesting today to see if they took away open enrollment how many of those players would be going to North instead of Roosevelt.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
Kendall Jackson is ISUs 7th LB. Getting some special teams play & has been mentions by our LB Coach. Proud Roughrider alum here. Seen lots of losses by both high school and college teams -breeds lower expectations and strong tailgate skills. I like the winning too

Reactions: NWICY and aauummm

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I think you've pretty well nailed it here.

I played in a basketball league in high school where I befriended some kids that played for North. A few local coaches had done a nice job getting those kids organized and they should have had a decent team. Their best player was a kid who had immigrated over from Africa somewhat recently, who I got to know a bit and was a real nice kid.

I'll never forget we get there for our game at North and this particular kid just isn't there. He'd played the first handful of games but just didn't show up for this one. I asked my other friends after the game what had happened and no one was quite sure why he wasn't there. I was struck by the fact no one seemed too concerned about his whereabouts or why he was absent. If that were a kid on my suburban team you'd have called the media and had search parties scouring the streets. But here, no one seemed to worried as if this was commonplace.

That was my introduction into just how different the Metro schools are than the suburban ones.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
NorthWest SouthEast polk?

A few years back, the rumor/thought was that Altoona would get the new HS. Some based on where the population growth is/was and some political after Plesant Hill annexed along 163. It's crazy that the new SEP HS was only approved 15 years ago and was already too small by the time construction was finished.

On the other side of the metro, Valley is still the biggest HS in IA (last I knew) and they were considering moving Southwoods (9th grade) students back to Valley and moving Stillwell (jr high) students to Southwoods. I guess Valley has enough space to accommodate 9th grade (my kids' classes are around 800, which is baffling to me - I went to a school that had ~800 in K-12...)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron