Jeremiah Cooper NIL representation

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Agreed. Great for the players. Good for them. But the smaller schools are 100% going to get left behind and that's just the way it is.

I don't have any information on who is, who isn't leaving and what if anything this means.

But unless we have someone whose an alum who has a lot of money, the reality is, we are going to lose people. Every year, probably. Its just the sad reality of the present situation

Size of the school doesn't matter all that much. What matters more is how big their cash cannon is. I'd imagine a school like Houston or Rice might have some mega donors that could take their schools for a ride.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I sit here just conflicted by all of this. The players deserve a cut of all this cash sloshing around. In some form.

But I have a low comfort level with the way it's being done.

Really it's because I see ISU falling behind in a new race to make players professional athletes. The school invests in football and NIL adds another layer that can pull players out of Ames.

New day. Good for the players. Unsure about ISU in this ecosystem, but that's nothing new.
I've said this before, but there is only so much money to go around to keep everyone happy. At some point the money will dry up, and that is true for pretty much every program. At least the NFL has salary caps; college football is turning into who wants to buy a championship

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
Unfortuantely, I don't.

I have no idea if the rumor is true or not, but the amount itself, no, I can 100% see that amount being thrown about in the portal.
I don't doubt that amount is being thrown around in the portal. I doubt that Tech would shell out that much for one year/max two for Cooper. Maybe i'm wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: Letterkenny

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I've said this before, but there is only so much money to go around to keep everyone happy. At some point the money will dry up, and that is true for pretty much every program. At least the NFL has salary caps; college football is turning into who wants to buy a championship
Pretty much already was that way. Now the lid is off.

Reactions: Cyhig

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Sooner or later the NCAA will just have to share revenue with the athletes. Equally between schools. Somehow.

Governors/Regents/Congress....whoever, will just have to grab these P5 schools by the ears, spank them, and send them to their rooms.

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclone06

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
So would the national brands persuade an athlete to go to College A instead of College B? Obviously that would and will happen but I see that happening rarely. Maybe I'm naive.

I see this more as Cooper and Noel may not have comfort in pushing the envelope on how much they can ask for a Pizza Hut commercial, so Rosenhaus is doing the envelope pushing for them. Or at least that is what I'm hoping for. Not Nike or Addias saying yes...but.

I view it as:

1) we can hire an agent that will help us with our pro ambitions,
2) oh that agents company can help us get real endorsements (act as a marketing firm for them)

We Will is great but it is mostly centered around charities (it did help with the Pork commercial) but if you want real endorsements you need a company that is going to market you.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
What's important to remember is that while someone like Cooper is going to be a relatively hot entity, he's not likely to up and leave if he feels like he's getting excellent coaching that can help him get to the next level. Money matters, of course, and he'll get money for playing at ISU, too.

Reactions: bozclone

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

I think after awhile people are going to realize there aren't many schools that can "buy" a championship and the money will start drying up. NIL is still pretty new so people will see what kind of bang for their buck they will get but even donors at schools like Ohio State eventually are going to grow weary if the millions in NIL they cough up don't result in consistent Big 10 and National championships. Losing 3 in a row to Michigan now probably has some donors peeved too that they aren't seeing a return on their investment at the moment.

Realistically I get why people push the NIL narrative that we need to keep up to stay competitive but let's face it, the kind of guys we are trying to retain or recruit with NIL money aren't exactly 5 star recruits or the top guys in the transfer portal at the moment and even if we were able to get into that market you still have to go up against the traditional power schools to land those guys. Not trying to be negative but that's just the reality that even at ISU you probably couldn't go out and buy a national title in football even if you had the money available to attempt it

• Agree
Reactions: Cyhig

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
These agencies can actually go out and get them good endorsement deals with national brands
Exactly this. People overlook endorsement deals and just jump right to the gloom and doom "some school is going to buy away our players". Jaylin Noel is a nobody at Alabama. How many endorsement deals is he going to get someplace like that? Jaylin Noel is a star at ISU with marketable name recognition. Guys going out and hiring nil agents isn't necessarily always a bad thing for ISU. If they can get them $ for endorsements, not just $ to transfer, that's a net positive for ISU retaining talent.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Exactly this. People overlook endorsement deals and just jump right to the gloom and doom "some school is going to buy away our players". Jaylin Noel is a nobody at Alabama. How many endorsement deals is he going to get someplace like that? Jaylin Noel is a star at ISU with marketable name recognition. Guys going out and hiring nil agents isn't necessarily always a bad thing for ISU. If they can get them $ for endorsements, not just $ to transfer, that's a net positive for ISU retaining talent.

The entire state of Iowa has not much more population than the Birmingham metro and 55-65% of those people in Iowa are fans of someone other than ISU and an almost non-existent base outside of the state. Gotta look at potential reach when talking about marketing.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
What's important to remember is that while someone like Cooper is going to be a relatively hot entity, he's not likely to up and leave if he feels like he's getting excellent coaching that can help him get to the next level. Money matters, of course, and he'll get money for playing at ISU, too.
We have zero track record putting DB's in the NFL.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
The entire state of Iowa has not much more population than the Birmingham metro and 55-65% of those people in Iowa are fans of someone other than ISU and an almost non-existent base outside of the state. Gotta look at potential reach when talking about marketing.
I get the point but you are going to need to go back and run the numbers on the Birmingham MSA vs Iowa lol.

Reactions: Letterkenny