Jim Harbaugh likely suspended first 4 games of the season

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Sounds like the one getting the worst penalty doesn't even work in college football anymore.

Plus this sounds pretty tame. Just don't lie, Jim.

"Harbaugh’s alleged initial cover-up was worse than the crime itself from the NCAA's perspective. In a notice of allegations sent to Michigan last year, the association cited four Level II violations, including meeting with two recruits during a COVID-19 dead period, texting a recruit outside of an allowable time period, having analysts perform on-field coaching duties during practice and having coaches watching players work out via Zoom."

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Hear me out, what if there was a stipulation that coaching and player suspensions must be applied to conference games first?

Coach gets suspended for 4 games? He’s missing 4 conference games. Player gets suspended for 10 games? He’s missing 9 conference games and a non-conference game.

I get that these are usually applied around timing, but these “consequences” are hardly a deterrent. Suspensions should be punitive- not a slap on the wrist.

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Hear me out, what if there was a stipulation that coaching and player suspensions must be applied to conference games first?

Coach gets suspended for 4 games? He’s missing 4 conference games. Player gets suspended for 10 games? He’s missing 9 conference games and a non-conference game.

I get that these are usually applied around timing, but these “consequences” are hardly a deterrent. Suspensions should be punitive- not a slap on the wrist.
No conference would ever, ever approve that, for exactly the reason you think.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Any punishment in college athletics that doesn't impact scholarship numbers means nothing.

Assistants do most of the work on game days, athletic departments and coaches make too much for any punitive damages to matter, and NIL could even make scholarships less impactful for those wealthy schools.