Job Search: Des Moines

cymate

Oct 28, 2011
Ames, the labb
I have been with my company for over six years now and I am looking for a change, I would like to focus my career path in logistics or sales. The biggest Issue I am having is finding jobs posted on Indeed, most of the jobs listed are entry level positions or are positions that pay on an hourly basis. I have a communications degree from Iowa state and have experience in logistics.

Does anyone know of any companies that are hiring, or any suggestions other than looking for jobs on Indeed?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Talk to someone at Palmer Group or Robert Half and get yourself a recruiter. Let them help you with your search especially with big employment fields like logistics and sales. I looked at moving into logistics and last I talked with them, they were flooded with jobs in the 70-100k range.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
My friend is a recruiter with the Virginia Feds and said that the general feel is that companies are hesitant on hiring due to uncertainty of the economic outlook. What I take from this is companies will hire lower level people to perform the work based on demand, but be a little reluctant to hire management/office staff.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My friend is a recruiter with the Virginia Feds and said that the general feel is that companies are hesitant on hiring due to uncertainty of the economic outlook. What I take from this is companies will hire lower level people to perform the work based on demand, but be a little reluctant to hire management/office staff.
Easier and less ripples to let go entry level people than it is mid management if things turn south.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I work for a pretty big company that has a footprint in des moines and I feel like they're posting a bunch of listings but slow rolling actual hiring and also backfilling empty slots very slowly.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I work for a pretty big company that has a footprint in des moines and I feel like they're posting a bunch of listings but slow rolling actual hiring and also backfilling empty slots very slowly.
This. Hell even at my current employer as an internal candidate it is taking forever. I am in the running for a role that was posted two months ago and I applied/contacted the higher manager a month ago. Good conversations but they are still working out the details of the position.

ChristopherAkpan

Apr 14, 2023
It's awesome that you're ready for a new adventure after six years! With your communications degree and logistics experience, have you checked out LinkedIn? Sometimes, companies post exclusive opportunities there.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
My wife works at a Recruiting Practice lead with Aerotek/Tek systems / Actalant if you would like to reach her. I would also recommend Ruan!