John Crawford - ISU's First Black MBB Player

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Was just on the Cyclones.com and noticed that ISU is recognizing John Crawford at this weekend's OU game. I was not aware of John Crawford's legacy as the first Black basketball player at ISU. Interesting read, here is link to article:

John Crawford

But it got me thinking. John Crawford played at ISU from 1955-1958. That was 30+ years after Jack Trice. Maybe we have some Cyclone history buffs here. Were there other Black football players at ISU during the 1923-1955 period? I would assume yes. But I also know that sports in the USA went through a period of segregation in the 1920's-1940's.

It is incredible to me that it was 30+ years after Jack Trice before ISU would have a black MBB player.

Thanks

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Was just on the Cyclones.com and noticed that ISU is recognizing John Crawford at this weekend's OU game. I was not aware of John Crawford's legacy as the first Black basketball player at ISU. Interesting read, here is link to article:

John Crawford

But it got me thinking. John Crawford played at ISU from 1955-1958. That was 30+ years after Jack Trice. Maybe we have some Cyclone history buffs here. Were there other Black football players at ISU during the 1923-1955 period? I would assume yes. But I also know that sports in the USA went through a period of segregation in the 1920's-1940's.

It is incredible to me that it was 30+ years after Jack Trice before ISU would have a black MBB player.

Thanks

@Kagavi

• Agree
Reactions: TXCyclones

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Recruiting -- if you can call it that -- was hyper-local in those days.

Without Sam Willaman, who had direct ties in Ohio, we may not have Jack Trice in Ames.

Basketball was the same way. The roster was almost entirely Iowa kids, with maybe an Illinois or Wisconsin kid here or there. And Iowa wasn't (and still isn't) a hotbed of diversity.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
For example, this is the hometown list from the 1953-54 varsity roster (the year before Crawford came to Ames). All 17 of them were from Iowa.

Atlantic
Montezuma
Shenandoah
Rinard
Ankeny
Ottumwa
Des Moines
Spencer
Fort Dodge
Davenport
Sheldahl
Manning
Lehigh
Ames
Armstrong
Reinbeck
Farragut

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
On Monday, January 14, 1957, I State defeated KU 39-37. Mom and Pops got a neighbor in Pammel Court to stay with 7 month old brother and were at the game.

I am Mary Greeley Class of 1957,......10-15-57. 9 months and 1 day from the takedown of the Big Dipper. A coincidence?,.....I think I am part of a big win celebration!!!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
For example, this is the hometown list from the 1953-54 varsity roster (the year before Crawford came to Ames). All 17 of them were from Iowa.

Atlantic
Montezuma
Shenandoah
Rinard
Ankeny
Ottumwa
Des Moines
Spencer
Fort Dodge
Davenport
Sheldahl
Manning
Lehigh
Ames
Armstrong
Reinbeck
Farragut

Hey where do you find that, I want to look at the names on that roster. Google failed me.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
On Monday, January 14, 1957, I State defeated KU 39-37. Mom and Pops got a neighbor in Pammel Court to stay with 7 month old brother and were at the game.

I am Mary Greeley Class of 1957,......10-15-57. 9 months and 1 day from the takedown of the Big Dipper. A coincidence?,.....I think I am part of a big win celebration!!!
You think Wilt might be your father....? o_O

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

John Crawford

Thanks

I think there were a few other Black football players after Jack Trice. But I believe there was a gap of several years where there were none until the 50’s.

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
When Bill Stranger took over as coach in 1954-55 he started recruiting nation wide. He had a contact in NYC and sold John C on thr small town school. The team had some problems with hotels and restaurants in the south because JC was a black He was not allowed to eat with the team sometimes. I spent some time in Oklahoma while I was in the army in 1954 and saw some of these hings. We had a black guy in our outfit, and we had to avoid some places where he couldn't go.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls

John Crawford

Thanks
@Jar_Lar

Reactions: t-noah

Seanfromtexas

Nov 23, 2021

John Crawford

Thanks
Was at Texas a couple weeks ago when we played. They honored their first black mbb player, he was a senior in 1972. I looked at my dad and said “they really just said 1972?” 30 years after jack trice isn’t very good no but at least we aren’t Texas. Horns down

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Was at Texas a couple weeks ago when we played. They honored their first black mbb player, he was a senior in 1972. I looked at my dad and said “they really just said 1972?” 30 years after jack trice isn’t very good no but at least we aren’t Texas. Horns down
I played HS ball with Jerry Moses. He graduated in 1970. Alabama offered him a football scholarship. He would have been the first black player at Alabama had he accepted it. Although many forms of discrimination still exist, it’s almost hard to believe just how blatant it was only 50 years ago.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Atlantic
Montezuma
Shenandoah
Rinard
Ankeny
Ottumwa
Des Moines
Spencer
Fort Dodge
Davenport
Sheldahl
Manning
Lehigh
Ames
Armstrong
Reinbeck
Farragut
Armstrong? Which one?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

John Crawford

Thanks
Really loved seeing the recognition of John Crawford this week and at todays' game and on the TV broadcast. God bless him and very thankful that he was a Cyclone!

Good call on @Kagavi and @Jar_Lar ! We might have to wait awhile on each of them, especially kagavi as he doesn't always check in. Both are great.