John Deere strike imminent?

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
lol farmers are only capitalists on facebook.

If a consumer of John Deere’s new products doesn’t like it, I believe they can buy somewhere else. Unless this is suddenly communist Russia!

I am sure there are plenty of old 4020’s on Machinery Pete than these championships of capitalism can fix

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Actually what the majority of farmers are asking for is the diagnostics. That's it. We want to be able to pull up the codes see what is wrong in order to get he right part to fix it. It's ridiculous when we have some sensor that requires us to make a call to the local dealer to have them come out paying $250 service call plus time plus mileage plus use of equipment to tell us a simple sensor is the issue. I'm perfectly capable of hooking up a cable and reading.

Don’t worry, you make it up 1000 times over in government subsidies.

You not wanting to support local businesses, does not really match the bootstrap rhetoric you guys like to spout

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Don’t worry, you make it up 1000 times over in government subsidies.

You not wanting to support local businesses, does not really match the bootstrap rhetoric you guys like to spout

Or removing hard paying, American jobs from JD. These farmers wanna put those technicians out of a job who have spent years learning their craft of diagnostic analysis and repair

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
There was a time several decades ago when a high school graduate could be a wage worker at Deere and adequately support their family on their one income. Over the years, those wages and benefits have declined so much that those days are long gone.

Deere just reported around $6 billion in profits, their CEO raked in millions, but they're having difficulties filling their wage positions. If there ever was a time for their union to strike, it's now.

The challenge is these wage workers can't afford to strike for very long, but management can't afford a long shutdown either, so the game of chicken begins.

As a 20-something, it's amazing to me to hear about the old days where someone could go work at a factory right after high school graduation, stay in the same company for 47 years, with a spouse who stays home and two kids, and still be able to afford a house and a car and expenses for the kids - all with a pension at retirement at 65. And they'd work a solid 40 hours a week on the floor and no more.

The world has changed so much, in worker-unfriendly ways.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Do you suppose this is the reason why the price of a used tractor I was looking at went up $6500 yesterday? FML.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
As a 20-something, it's amazing to me to hear about the old days where someone could go work at a factory right after high school graduation, stay in the same company for 47 years, with a spouse who stays home and two kids, and still be able to afford a house and a car and expenses for the kids - all with a pension at retirement at 65.

Do you remember the houses they lived in and the cars they drove? Gives a little perspective there.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

Would be first strike in 30 years at Deere and the largest in the country since 2019.

Is this true? One of my classmates in high school works for Deere in Waterloo and I swear he was on strike a while back. My bad, some of them were laid off. I remember him making more while laid off than when he was actually working.

• Dumb
Reactions: CyDude16

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Do you remember the houses they lived in and the cars they drove? Gives a little perspective there.

Not really the point. Yes standards of living have increased, but by every measure, factory worker and so-called "unskilled" labor pay has gone down dramatically in the U.S. This is probably Cave-bound but unions being chipped away combined with sending factories to countries that accept far less pay basically eroded any shot at strong middle class livelihoods for American factory workers. You can see the aftermath in hundreds of small towns across the country.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I went to high school with at least 3 people that have worked with Deere for 25+ years. All 3 seem to be doing pretty well financially, especially with no college education. Scratch that, 4 people. One hasn't been able to work for the last 5+ years because he weighs 500+lbs.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I went to high school with at least 3 people that have worked with Deere for 25+ years. All 3 seem to be doing pretty well financially, especially with no college education. Scratch that, 4 people. One hasn't been able to work for the last 5+ years because he weighs 500+lbs.

Most people that run with that line of thinking spend more than they make, and wonder why they can't retire comfortably.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
This is why the 2022 Ford Maverick pick up truck I ordered is being built in Mexico.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
As a 20-something, it's amazing to me to hear about the old days where someone could go work at a factory right after high school graduation, stay in the same company for 47 years, with a spouse who stays home and two kids, and still be able to afford a house and a car and expenses for the kids - all with a pension at retirement at 65. And they'd work a solid 40 hours a week on the floor and no more.

This can still be done.

Also - expenses today are WAY more than they used to be. That’s one of the main issues.