John Sears wants IA to start giving out “freebies” again at embarassing Carver

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Didn’t take long after their great season just a year ago.
I was gonna say, this team and fanbase were riding high with all the confidence in the world 11-12 months ago. I think a lot of their fans were convinced that they had "arrived" and Fran was the best coach in school history. Crazy how fast the wheels have flown off. Reminiscent of ISU hoops after the Fizer/Tinsley seasons in '00-'01 and '01-'02. Just without the success.

Reactions: RezClone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It's cold out and penis's shrink in the cold
dwight-trained-my-penis-to-retract.gif

Reactions: isufbcurt

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
I don't understand his harping on Carver. "It's getting old and outdated. Over 40 years since it was built." Is this really part of the problem? Like many of you, I've been in Carver. I think Hilton is better, but Carver is fine. What is he trying to get at here?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don't understand his harping on Carver. "It's getting old and outdated. Over 40 years since it was built." Is this really part of the problem? Like many of you, I've been in Carver. I think Hilton is better, but Carver is fine. What is he trying to get at here?

Not sure how cost effective it would be to build a new 500 seat arena for Iowa basketball.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I was gonna say, this team and fanbase were riding high with all the confidence in the world 11-12 months ago. I think a lot of their fans were convinced that they had "arrived" and Fran was the best coach in school history. Crazy how fast the wheels have flown off. Reminiscent of ISU hoops after the Fizer/Tinsley seasons in '00-'01 and '01-'02. Just without the success.

I guess I never saw that with the Iowa fans I know. I think they knew there was an element of fool's gold there with their success with Garza, and knew other than Murray there wasn't alot of returning talent.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Carver is newer than Hilton but still a depressing hole in the ground.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I've been to a lot of games in Carver and for me it's not so much the outdated factor but the flaws the building has. The design is just awful and the seating is super tight. I'm by no means a large person and my knees will touch the seat in front of me. The seats behind the baskets are awful, you are so far away from the court.

• Haha
Reactions: CyBobby

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I've been to a lot of games in Carver and for me it's not so much the outdated factor but the flaws the building has. The design is just awful and the seating is super tight. I'm by no means a large person and my knees will touch the seat in front of me. The seats behind the baskets are awful, you are so far away from the court.

It's the aisles. They made the 2x as wide as any other arena I have been in. I guess they had to though for when fans started to pour out of their seats early in the 2nd half of games.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't think Carver is a great venue, but I also don't think it's the buildings fault that fans don't show up.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I guess I never saw that with the Iowa fans I know. I think they knew there was an element of fool's gold there with their success with Garza, and knew other than Murray there wasn't alot of returning talent.
I must just know a lot of the delusional ones/twitter fans etc. My FIL is a big Hawk fan and just last night was telling me how he doesn't understand how they're struggling so much with what they currently have. I asked him outside of Keegan what they really have, and he with a straight face told me that the younger McCaffrey is a "pretty good player", the other Murray has had a few coming out parties this year (against nobody's I reminded him) and the young guards show a lot of potential...LMAO. Only thing he sees without black and gold glasses on is how awful Connor is, and he hates Jorbo with a passion.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I must just know a lot of the delusional ones/twitter fans etc. My FIL is a big Hawk fan and just last night was telling me how he doesn't understand how they're struggling so much with what they currently have. I asked him outside of Keegan what they really have, and he with a straight face told me that the younger McCaffrey is a "pretty good player", the other Murray has had a few coming out parties this year (against nobody's I reminded him) and the young guards show a lot of potential...LMAO. Only thing he sees without black and gold glasses on is how awful Connor is, and he hates Jorbo with a passion.
This is key. Even the homer fans see what a little prick Jorbo is and they hate Connor because there is no way to paint him as good. When one is the longest tenured player in your program and the other is the coach's son, it is going to turn off fans in a big way.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We're a wrestling school.

We're a cross country school. ;)

FTR, you're a football school. Iowa was a basketball school back when I was young and on earth for the first time. Even the ISU dorm guys were gathered in their TV dens watching Iowa in the 1970 NCAA's. No real revelry back than, we rarely played each other. Prior to that everyone was pulling for Drake when they made their run.

• Agree
Reactions: IceCyIce

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We're a cross country school. ;)

FTR, you're a football school. Iowa was a basketball school back when I was young and on earth for the first time. Even the ISU dorm guys were gathered in their TV dens watching Iowa in the 1970 NCAA's. No real revelry back than, we rarely played each other. Prior to that everyone was pulling for Drake when they made their run.
That is not what I have heard about Dana house...

;)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The whole 2 hours from Des Moines excuse is my favorite. The Eastern third of the state is much more densely populated than the other two thirds plus you have CR and the quad cities to pull from.

Yeah, not an Iowan but I don't envision caravans of SUV's rolling down I-80 for weeknight home games. Would be interesting to see a GIS map of where the ticket holders are from for both schools. Not like either school would likely share that but I'd love to look at it.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
This is key. Even the homer fans see what a little prick Jorbo is and they hate Connor because there is no way to paint him as good. When one is the longest tenured player in your program and the other is the coach's son, it is going to turn off fans in a big way.
I know I wouldn't be going to any games, and I would be shutting the TV off early on nights where I could sense it getting away from them. Would not be appointment tv either, which is crazy to think a team with what will probably be a consensus 1st team AA not being appointment tv for a college bball fan.

Reactions: Antihawk240