John Sears wants IA to start giving out “freebies” again at embarassing Carver

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
TV isn't doing them any favors either with game times.

They ended up with exactly one league game on a Saturday (and that's Penn State lol) and they end up playing at 8:00 on Thursday all the time. Even if you're in CR with the nightmare parking set up you aren't home until pushing midnight.

That's a giant pain in the ass when you know you're not going to see great basketball and you just know that come February 1 that the bottom is going to fall out.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Plus students haven’t shown up to Carver for basketball games for over 15 years now. That sure isn’t helping. Alumni from the last 2 decades don’t give a rip about their basketball program.
I have a friend that is a Michigan State alum & his son goes to Iowa...He drove over for a MSU @ IOA game in CHA...and told me ...& I am quoting "I have been at Funerals that had more people in attendance than the game at CHA!!"

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Lewey24 and cyputz

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have a friend that is a Michigan State alum & his son goes to Iowa...He drove over for a MSU @ IOA game in CHA...and told me ...& I am quoting "I have been at Funerals that had more people in attendance than the game at CHA!!"
"...and they were rowdier at the funeral, too."

Reactions: cyputz

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
What in the ever living **** was that?
ROFL. Boomer Alert! Boomer Alert! I will put songs like this on in cowboy bars just to get rid of the people who aren't cool. My favorite is putting on a Between the Buried and Me 15 minute death metal epic. Always be sure to put in $30 so that other people have to out bid you to get ahead of your song queue.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
ROFL. Boomer Alert! Boomer Alert! I will put songs like this on in cowboy bars just to get rid of the people who aren't cool. My favorite is putting on a Between the Buried and Me 15 minute death metal epic. Always be sure to put in $30 so that other people have to out bid you to get ahead of your song queue.
Not a boomer but whatever.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Going to a cowboy bar and putting that on just honestly makes you an *******.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Carver is undoubtedly the worst place I've ever watched a college basketball game. The parking is abysmal as people have said. I remember going there in 2016-2017 and literally did not know where to park. Had to park in a ramp. Then you get punished for having good seats because you have to walk down like 300 steps to get to your seats. Better go to the bathroom and get your popcorn before you get to your seats or else you're in for a major workout.

Not to mention the atmosphere itself is just poor. We lost to Iowa in 2016-2017 and it didn't even get loud in the arena. Like not loud at all. And we were sitting next to the student section (if you want to call it that). With all that being said, it's not the arena itself that's causing the low attendance numbers. Fran's teams just aren't exciting enough for people to justify using their time to go there. You'd have to do a poll with Iowa fans to find out the exact reason, but I could see it being due to play style, lack of overall talent, Fran himself, or the fact that you're watching a team year after year with a roster that's like 50% from the state of Iowa. I'm not saying you shouldn't have Iowa kids but when there are SO many, I can see how that'd be annoying for students and regular fans. FWIW, Iowa has 7/15 players on their roster that's from the state of Iowa and NONE of them are walk-ons.

It's amazing that Hilton is 50 years old vs. Carver's 40 years and as far as the inside of the arena, Hilton is still a much better place to watch basketball.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Going to a cowboy bar and putting that on just honestly makes you an *******.
Well it's not themed cowboy but they just keep showing up... Plus I have to hear their crappy music all the time. They could use a little culture.

Reactions: JayV

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I have no idea about the realities of ticket owners, but I know after a big night game in Ames hwy 20 going W is way busier than normal, quite a few fans from NW Ia aren't afraid to make the trek. Spencer seems to be the boundary limit for those that I know personally.

Hwy 30 east to Cedar Rapids is much the same. Much busier all the way to Tama before it thins out, but I still see plenty of Linn County plates all the way to CR, so there are more than a few die hard fans that make the trek.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Haven't they only lost one home game? I'd be much more worried about 3 straight road losses, where they faced 20 point deficits in each game, than who is showing up to Carver.

At least they'll get one big crowd next season.

Reactions: CyNews

Help Support Us

Become a patron