John Sears wants IA to start giving out “freebies” again at embarassing Carver

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
I think this is hands down the 100% answer to Iowa Basketball Attendance Issues. End Thread.

I agree - if they were winning every game, fans might overlook some of this. But given they're not, fan attendance is suffering due to nepotism and putting up with underachieving JoBo.
FWIW, the design of HCA is the result of giving into the whines of Lute Olson. The design was pushed by him and the university didn't want to loose him so they got what is now HCA. Like it or not, HCA is NOT the cause for low fan attendance. Put a good product on the floor + have a likeable coach = good attendance.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
I have no idea about the realities of ticket owners, but I know after a big night game in Ames hwy 20 going W is way busier than normal, quite a few fans from NW Ia aren't afraid to make the trek. Spencer seems to be the boundary limit for those that I know personally.

Phooey. Herman Richter (Three Sons) from Milford drives down to Hilton for games occasionally and he's like 120 years old. Extend that driving range a bit...

Reactions: NWICY

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Not saying he is not a good player, but he is not a 4****. #150 national, 4**** rankings stop at #120 so not really on the cusp either.

View attachment 94181

He is a good player and a fine get for them. He's struggling shooting the ball though early in his senior year. 30% from three, 62% from the free throw line.

I could see his first couple years playing out like Sandfort has so far this year. Showed some promise in low pressure spots against low majors, has struggled mightily against real competition. Iowa doesn't project to be very good though so maybe he'll be forced into more than a 9th/10th man role.

Last edited:

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
He is a good player and a fine get for them. He's struggling shooting the ball though early in his senior year. 30% from three, 62% from the free throw line.

I could see his first couple years playing out like Sandfort has so far this year. Iowa doesn't project to be very good though so maybe he'll be forced into more than a 9th/10th man role.
So when he has to step back another almost 2-1/2 feet next year at college level (19' 9" in high school, 22' 1.75" in college) I would guess those struggles may continue.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Iowa should just designate Carver as the home of their wrestling program and move their basketball programs to that new Xtream Arena over in Coralville. Seats about 5000 people, so the atmosphere at their games would actually improve.
Iowa announced they'll be moving their men's basketball games to City High. That way, they'll only have to pull out the lower bleachers.

• Winner
Reactions: Kinch

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
He's right that they're apathetic and thats sad. I'm not sure handing out towels or bobbleheads will be enough, though.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I could see his first couple years playing out like Sandfort has so far this year. Showed some promise in low pressure spots against low majors, has struggled mightily against real competition. Iowa doesn't project to be very good though so maybe he'll be forced into more than a 9th/10th man role.

This has been Frans problem though. The way he recruits he can't afford to have a bunch of 2-3 year projects but after this year that's exactly what the Iowa roster will be.

• Winner
Reactions: Statefan10

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Halftime entertainment is they roll out a portable ring and have Fran fight a guy in an officials uniform. Think Frans halftime tirades do anything for the team?

Would love to see Fran as a Rock-Em-Sock-Em Robot.