Johnny's at Hilton Coliseum to expand and be renovated

ISUBrew

Apr 18, 2006
I haven't seen this reported anywhere yet. I apologize if this is a duplicate. I also apologize for the all-caps -- this is how it's written on the ISU FP&M site:

http://www.fpm.iastate.edu/planning...ary.asp?CP_Number=CP002139&Work_order=WC27051

[h=5]THIS PROJECT WILL RENOVATE JOHNNY'S AT HILTON COLISEUM BY EXPANDING ACROSS THE OUTER CONCOURSE, RELOCATING THE EXISTING CONCESSION STAND AND CREATING A NEW ENTRANCE WHICH OPENS TO AND OVERLOOKS THE INNER CONCOURSE OF HILTON COLISEUM[/h]

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Not that I'm complaining, so I hope it doesn't sound that way, but will the outer concourse now be a horseshoe?

ISUBrew

Apr 18, 2006
Not that I'm complaining, so I hope it doesn't sound that way, but will the outer concourse now be a horseshoe?

That's how I read it. The entrance to Johnny's will actually be on the inner concourse of Hilton, so if you want to path around the east side of Hilton, you'll need to detour to the inner concourse to keep moving around.

I find the idea of putting the entrance on the inner concourse interesting. If they had put the entrances on the north and south sides on the outer concourses, then they could have done solid glass on the inner concourse side and essentially create club seating that can be used during a game.

I guess the fact that they didn't do that indicates they still want Johnny's patrons to leave the area during the game -- obviously they won't let you stand up against an entrance!

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If they would have made the inner concourse a glass wall, I would think there could be "Johnny's only tickets to watch the game."

Tony

May 1, 2013
Ankeny, IA
I don't see any way around closing off the outer concourse to achieve what that says, only floor plan I could find:
attachment.php

Attachments

• JohnnysExpansion.JPG
    JohnnysExpansion.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 3,202

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Interesting. I'd think it would be easier (and cheaper) to simply wall of the outer concourse and put openings on either side there.

The only thing this would seem to do is allow for an inner concourse entrance. Not sure what real benefit that provides.

Tony

May 1, 2013
Ankeny, IA
If they would have made the inner concourse a glass wall, I would think there could be "Johnny's only tickets to watch the game."

Possibly, but I don't think the angle would work with the wall, this picture kind of shows what the view would be like, then take into account the windows would be back a few feet and I don't think you would see most of the floor. Then if the outer concourse is closed off traffic would be very heavy through there.

attachment.php

Attachments

• HiltonInnerConcourse.jpg
    HiltonInnerConcourse.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,542

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Possibly, but I don't think the angle would work with the wall, this picture kind of shows what the view would be like, then take into account the windows would be back a few feet and I don't think you would see most of the floor. Then if the outer concourse is closed off traffic would be very heavy through there.

attachment.php

THEY WOULD HAVE TO LOOK AT WHIRLYBIRD, MUSTARD JERSEYS, AND SEAN HULASKA???

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Obstructing any part of the concourse seems like a horrible idea to me. It's already congested enough, now we are going to create additional bottlenecks?

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Obstructing any part of the concourse seems like a horrible idea to me. It's already congested enough, now we are going to create additional bottlenecks?

Makes one wonder how this works with Jamie's old suites along the inner concourse idea from a few years back.

It would almost have to kill that idea, wouldn't it?

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
This sounds like the alternative to adding suites. I still am hoping JP will consider adding more seating. There are enough gaps to fill in to get to 15,000 which would be an ideal #, IMO.

ISUBrew

Apr 18, 2006
Forgot to add a description to my MS Paint mock-up there.

From the description, it sounds like they're going to do the purple line. That doesn't seem to add a whole lot of space.

Thinking out loud, what if they closed off two of the staircases to the Balcony, filled them in, and then added seats? This would allow them to do a much bigger expansion to Johnny's. This is mocked up in the orange line.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Not really a fan of it if it closes off the outer concourse and creates an additional bottleneck. As is the concourse needs widening to the pillars like a prior design had.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
One thing about it...if you're going to block off a section, that's probably the best one to block off since there is no external entrance on the east side. Most of the folks in the east end will be coming around to the south side to the parking lots or the north side to exit. It will probably generate a lot more congestion from the north side around the west end to the exit toward the south lots, though. And all those people who like to get a head start will be crammed on the inner concourse of the south side....blerg!

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA

My guess is the outer concourse will curve in and merge with the inner concourse there. I am interested to see the design.