Johnny's at Hilton Coliseum to expand and be renovated

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I think the potential log jam of people leaving after the game is the last thing on the AD's mind at this point. When you go to an even with 14,000 other people, and expect to just walk out, get in your car and be on your way in 10 minutes is a dumb mentality. Its why so many people either leave early or get up and stand at the top of the inner concourse before the game ends. If you aren't prepared to wait a little while, you should re-think your priorities. The main goal of this expansion is increased revenue and more amenities for the largest donors. If Johnny's isn't big enough for demand, and more people are willing to donate $$$ to get a spot in there, that trumps every other option. I say fans either deal with it, give more money or give up their tickets because there are plenty of other people who would take them. Clearly, moving Johnny's to one of the corners isn't an option because they want to have it open to the inner concourse, and it already exists where its at. Re-locating it entirely is not an option.

If more people gave more money and complained less, we would probably have all the nice things that are wanted but not feasible because of cost.

JMHO.

We donate. We're not independently wealthy. Neither are most of the students, and most of the folks who fill Hilton and Jack Trice for the games. I understand the balance between pleasing the fan base and pampering the fat cats among us, but yours is an exceptionally elitist post.

Pro sport attendance is on the decline largely because of high prices. Keep pushing out the loyal but less wealthy fans and you will eventually run out of people with sufficient disposable income to be willing to buy tickets.

Last edited:

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
We donate. We're not independently wealthy. Neither are most of the students, and most of the folks who fill Hilton and Jack Trice for the games. I understand the balance between pleasing the fan base and pampering the fat cats among us, but yours is an exceptionally elitist post.

Pro sport attendance is on the decline largely due to because of high prices. Keep pushing out the loyal but less wealthy fans and you will eventually run out of people with sufficient disposable income to be willing to buy tickets.

Well I won't apologize for telling it like it is. I'm not the one making these decisions, I just see the reality in them. And when you have a product in high demand, like MBB is right now, you do everything/anything you can to maximize what you get out of it. That is thinking from the accountant's perspective.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Well I won't apologize for telling it like it is. I'm not the one making these decisions, I just see the reality in them. And when you have a product in high demand, like MBB is right now, you do everything/anything you can to maximize what you get out of it. That is thinking from the accountant's perspective.

The accountant should also be thinking about pricing oneself out of the market available and willing to buy the product.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
The only things about closing the concourses

1) I have to wonder about fire codes and what really amounts to reducing people to one or two exits. Sure you can go diving across seats. But stairs are greater choke points and the concourse offers more open flow. I don't know - I'm sure someone here has far more insight.

2) Go up much more, you're getting pretty close to those ribbon boards, aren't we?

Closing off the concourse wouldn't affect the flow for fire at all. You still have two stair cases out of the balcony, then exit to the outer concourse and exit from the nearest door. I don't think any fire exit would have crossed in front of Johnny's in the current configuration. No seat in the arena would cross that path for the closest door in case of a fire.

It may seem to cause congestion coming out of the South door during normal exits, since most of the parking is south. However, during a fire, anyone sitting on the N or NE side of the arena would leave throw the North doors (or NE Doors by Johnnys) no matter where they parked.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I generally like the idea of expanding Johnny's over adding suites to the inner concourse. Don't think suites would look good and could ruin the vibe inside Hilton a bit. Only problem with this idea is the potential foot traffic difficulties.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
I think the potential log jam of people leaving after the game is the last thing on the AD's mind at this point. When you go to an even with 14,000 other people, and expect to just walk out, get in your car and be on your way in 10 minutes is a dumb mentality. Its why so many people either leave early or get up and stand at the top of the inner concourse before the game ends. If you aren't prepared to wait a little while, you should re-think your priorities. The main goal of this expansion is increased revenue and more amenities for the largest donors. If Johnny's isn't big enough for demand, and more people are willing to donate $$$ to get a spot in there, that trumps every other option. I say fans either deal with it, give more money or give up their tickets because there are plenty of other people who would take them. Clearly, moving Johnny's to one of the corners isn't an option because they want to have it open to the inner concourse, and it already exists where its at. Re-locating it entirely is not an option.

If more people gave more money and complained less, we would probably have all the nice things that are wanted but not feasible because of cost.

JMHO.

Damn you 1%ers!!!!!!!

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
The accountant should also be thinking about pricing oneself out of the market available and willing to buy the product.
That wont be an issue at Hilton (as long as we keep winning) The number of donors in Johnny's has increased drastically over the past few years and the spot simply is over crowded to the point that expansion is necessity and Jamie is striking the iron while it is hot. You want to keep the donors who pony up that cash to participate in Johnny's happy, and an over crowded experience is just the norm now. There has to be a fine balance, but the demand is there for the big donors to have more room and with the amount of money those donations amount to, it has to be done one way or another.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

Pro sport attendance is on the decline largely because of high prices. Keep pushing out the loyal but less wealthy fans and you will eventually run out of people with sufficient disposable income to be willing to buy tickets.

Congestion after the game won't be affected much, if at all. The congestion after the game now is at the South door. That is because you have people coming from both the east and west sides to go out the south door.

If they do this, you will have fewer people coming from the east side and more people coming from the west (possibly). In the end, the same number of people will have to exit through the south door and it will take the same amount of time to get everyone out. You may be in a longer line to get out the door on the west side, but the line will move quicker because fewer people will be coming out the east side.

Although, even now, when people leave through the south DOORs, they all seem to only go out through the outermost DOORS. If more people realized they don't have to get close to the doors, stay nearer the concession stands and then walk out the center of the South DOORS, more people would get out of there quicker.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Closing off the concourse wouldn't affect the flow for fire at all. You still have two stair cases out of the balcony, then exit to the outer concourse and exit from the nearest door. I don't think any fire exit would have crossed in front of Johnny's in the current configuration. No seat in the arena would cross that path for the closest door in case of a fire.

It may seem to cause congestion coming out of the South door during normal exits, since most of the parking is south. However, during a fire, anyone sitting on the N or NE side of the arena would leave throw the North doors (or NE Doors by Johnnys) no matter where they parked.

I was speaking more to the idea of closing off the inner concourse for suites or additional seating on what is currently the inner concourse.

The more I think of it - the renovation idea may actually be better as everyone would dump out to the outer concourse and closer to the exit. Whereas now everyone empties to the inner concourse, has to get to a door to get to the outer, then out an exit.

Still don't like the suites idea though.

Each stairway from the lower bowl isn't directly served by a door, is it? I guess I've never really paid attention to that. Just go in and walk around the inner and find my seat (and so rarely score a parquet ticket in the first place). But you don't simply walk up the aisle and directly out a door - there's generally some left/right navigation that has to take place, correct?

Last edited:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Seems like that might become a bottleneck after games, don't like the sound of that.

Exactly. The outer concourses are already a huge bottleneck around the vendor setups. We don't need more of a bottleneck.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I was speaking more to the idea of closing off the inner concourse for suites or additional seating on what is currently the inner concourse.

The more I think of it - the renovation idea may actually be better as everyone would dump out to the outer concourse and closer to the exit. Whereas now everyone empties to the inner concourse, has to get to a door to get to the outer, then out an exit.

Each stairway from the lower bowl isn't directly served by a door, is it? I guess I've never really paid attention to that. Just go in and walk around the inner and find my seat (and so rarely score a parquet ticket in the first place). But you don't simply walk up the aisle and directly out a door - there's generally some left/right navigation that has to take place, correct?

No, I don't think every stairway is directly in front of a door on the lower level.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
I wonder if this will lead to a "club" seating level like they are doing in SEZ. I figure that after we make the final four this year we are up for a total reseating of Hilton with increased donation levels, and things like requiring you buy one football season ticket for every basketball ticket.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I wonder if this will lead to a "club" seating level like they are doing in SEZ. I figure that after we make the final four this year we are up for a total reseating of Hilton with increased donation levels, and things like requiring you buy one football season ticket for every basketball ticket.

That is an easy way to make Jack Trice be empty. I know Kansas does it but we're not quite on that level yet. I think we'll sell a lot of tickets for next season with UNI, Iowa, and TCU (high rank) coming to town plus the south endzone excitement. If we do real bad next year though, then we fire Rhoads and then you have the excitement of a new coach to sell tickets.

Anyway, before I ramble too much more. That is a bad idea.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
attachment.php

I can't imagine the service elevator and stairs to the back-of-house areas being swallowed up.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I can't imagine the service elevator and stairs to the back-of-house areas being swallowed up.

Wasn't sure that those were. Was simply assuming that the south one was storage or something for the concession stand.

Not sure why there would need to be yet another set of stairs when there are the two sets immediately inside the doors as well. Which makes me wonder if those could potentially go away as well at some point. Not sure what purpose they serve?