NBA: Jordan vs Lebron

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
IDK. Bird in his prime was pretty much unstoppable offensively. He wasn't as physically gifted as LeBron, but he made up for it with nearly flawless fundamentals. He was pretty tough mentally as well, but not like Jordan.

Bird was just as tough as Jordan mentally. Bird might be the toughest guy mentally that the league has ever seen. His back was not so tough though.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Here is a quote from Rodman about Lebron:
”lebron is so easy to play. He don’t have any moves. Scottie Pippen could have shut him down before I get to him. His game is too simple, he just big.”

Who gives a **** what a bunch of has beens have to say. JFC these guys think they could still be stars in this league at 60. Like I said earlier, nostalgia keeps this from being an honest conversation. Jordan thought he could still play in the league at 50(must have forgot his Wizards years). Reminds me of Mercury Morris talking g about the '72 Dolphins.

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
NOBODY with any credibility would say Larry Bird is a better basketball player than Lebron James.

I don't have any credibility, but, I would argue Larry was a better "basketball" player. He was a better shooter, ball handler and passer than LJ. Larry had no where near the physical tools that LJ hast and that is where LJ has dominated during his years, he is probably the best athlete of all time. You just do not see guys with size, speed, height, weight, strength, agility and endurance all in one package.

This is why you really cannot compare MJ and LJ, the game is so much different at all levels. Until recently, true basketball players and actually playing team basketball had a place in the league. Now, it is pure athlete driven and offenses have changed to allow for that. I still enjoy watching, it is just different.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I don't have any credibility, but, I would argue Larry was a better "basketball" player. He was a better shooter, ball handler and passer than LJ. Larry had no where near the physical tools that LJ hast and that is where LJ has dominated during his years, he is probably the best athlete of all time. You just do not see guys with size, speed, height, weight, strength, agility and endurance all in one package.

This is why you really cannot compare MJ and LJ, the game is so much different at all levels. Until recently, true basketball players and actually playing team basketball had a place in the league. Now, it is pure athlete driven and offenses have changed to allow for that. I still enjoy watching, it is just different.
I would agree with that. I think the argument should be about how a player can dominate by using whatever abilities(including size) they possess. Shaq wasn't a skilled basketball player but in terms of effectiveness he was one of the most dominant players to ever play.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Both great. I would put MJ as the best ever but there are a lot of guys that I think are right there with him. Hard to compare eras. The one guy I never get is when people put Russell on a top list. I would put Lebron right there in the people behind MJ. Lebron is also right there with Wilt as probably the biggest physical freaks of all time in the NBA. I think Wilt is actually not talked about enough as one of the top few players of all time. Russell gets all the attention because of the championships but Wilt outplayed him head to head. It just that the Celtics were absolutely loaded as a team.

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
Terrible example. The 1980 Olympics were the boycott Olympics in Moscow.
At the 1980 US Olympic Trials, DK would have been 10th in prelims, then 11th in semis, and missed the finals. He also would have lost to NFL player Willie Gault
I remember Willie Gault on the ‘85 Bears...maybe the best football team of all-time. Didn’t he end up on the Bobsled team?

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Agree somewhat but take a players like Doncic and Jokic. These guys aren't the best athletes but they are super skilled.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I think that’s what made MJ the best: he made nobodies into superstars. Jordan had the ability to make everyone around him better.
We could argue stats all day- and have a legit argument for 20 or 25 players. MJ was the best because of the way he lifted the entire team. You didn’t have to just stop MJ. MJ had it set up that he would beat you with Scottie one night, Kerr might kill you in the 4th qtr, Pax- and then you had a guy like Rodman cleaning everything else up. MJ was the best player on the best teams ever- that’s what makes him the GOAT.
This is a joke, right?

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012

As a basketball fan I wish we got more years from Bird. The basketball Gods gave us 17 years from the Udonis Haslems of the world but only 12 full seasons from Larry Legend, and a few of those were played through a painful back injury. Prime Bird is as good as it gets, from a basketball and entertainment standpoint.

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
Agree somewhat but take a players like Doncic and Jokic. These guys aren't the best athletes but they are super skilled.

For sure, there is always going to be room for guys that are just incredibly skilled. I am a Dallas guy, so I watch Luka a ton. One of the most entertaining guys in the league. Georges is a guy like this, although he will never be a star. The last few weeks and several starts on a legit contender has made him a guy that is going to get a long term deal in the offseason.

Reactions: Halincandenza