JTS Improvements - Want More

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Those things are not press boxes anymore since that function only occupies a small footprint in most major stadiums. At ISU it probably is still a press box.
There are some suites in there.

I can't see an upgrade until there is a higher demand for suites. For comparison, Iowa has 45 suites in their tower (which is the only location they have private suites in the stadium), while we have 43 private suites around the entire stadium.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007

I can't see an upgrade until there is a higher demand for suites. For comparison, Iowa has 45 suites in their tower (which is the only location they have private suites in the stadium), while we have 43 private suites around the entire stadium.
Maybe a couple conference championships and a playoff appearance could lead to donors stepping up because then there would then be a demand for additional luxury suites that could fill a new sideline facility.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Not to mention areas of Jacobson that were converted from office space to VIP seating.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Nothings happening to JTS for a while, unless the press box is in disrepair and falls off the stadium or something. We're at a good capacity now seat wise, don't always fill it as it is, CyTown and Hilton will need a lot of the infrastructure funds and who knows maybe in a few years the athletic department might need to pay players so taking out debt on a fancy press box is low on the ADs list I imagine.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

If it ever happens, it probably happens with a wholesale re-do of the upper west side, putting in a new upper deck incorporating more premium space. The jack trice club is always full on the east side and the stadium could probably use more "middle-premium" space like that rather than more
"upper premium" suites. Then while you're doing that you re-do the concourse facilities (which would need to be moved) and incorporate the press box level into whatever is reconstructed.

But its a long, long ways off (if ever) and would be a massively expensive project. Definitely other projects that need to happen first.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
If we were removing the current press box and replacing it, something lower and wider would solve a lot of peoples aesthetic complaints. The only viable option I could see would be a 2 level section similar in width to the current press box for media and coaches boxes and then some type of all together premium seating (likely filling a price level between the Jack Trice Club and the Sukup Endzone). I would envision some type of rooftop/party deck type of configuration.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Maybe a couple conference championships and a playoff appearance could lead to donors stepping up because then there would then be a demand for additional luxury suites that could fill a new sideline facility.
Suites are not demanded enough really to push the need to build a large number of them on top of what we already have, to make it beneficial to build a new Skybox.

Todays demand is in other forms of premium seating. Club levels etc. So in order to demand a new skybox full of suites, would be for the area where the current suites are being redesigned to be other premium features. Think Jack Trice Club etc.

If they decide to build a club level mirroring the JT Club, requiring the removal of many of the suites it could cause the need to build a new skybox. JT Club is in high demand, and sideline clubs are high value.

So replace the West suites with a club level, and other amenities, probably also add another club section in the skybox tower as well as suites and press.

This may cause the need to completely redesign the West side, at least the upper deck. And my guess would cost somewhere close to what the entire CYTown is costing. That requires a serious amount of demand for those premium seats and features to make it feasible to incur that cost.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
And my guess would cost somewhere close to what the entire CYTown is costing. That requires a serious amount of demand for those premium seats and features to make it feasible to incur that cost.

For reference, Iowa's press box and west concourse renovation was $35-40M -- 18 years ago.

Naddafinga

Aug 14, 2013
IA
Suites are not demanded enough really to push the need to build a large number of them on top of what we already have, to make it beneficial to build a new Skybox.

Todays demand is in other forms of premium seating. Club levels etc. So in order to demand a new skybox full of suites, would be for the area where the current suites are being redesigned to be other premium features. Think Jack Trice Club etc.

If they decide to build a club level mirroring the JT Club, requiring the removal of many of the suites it could cause the need to build a new skybox. JT Club is in high demand, and sideline clubs are high value.

So replace the West suites with a club level, and other amenities, probably also add another club section in the skybox tower as well as suites and press.

This may cause the need to completely redesign the West side, at least the upper deck. And my guess would cost somewhere close to what the entire CYTown is costing. That requires a serious amount of demand for those premium seats and features to make it feasible to incur that cost.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yep....Im sure it will happen right after we build our new Baseball stadium and facilities. :jimlad:

Yeah, i cant imagine its anywhere in the near future.

That being said, being on a more stable footing conference-wise can't hurt. We won't be raking in big 10 or sec money, but having some stability certainly makes it easier to plan and take on the kinds of long-term debt necessary for those kinds of projects, and we really havent had that security the last decade+ until now.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
For what it's worth, all of the new D lots are striped, and they all have red fire/drive lanes marked as well.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron