JTS Improvements - Want More

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
3rd deck on East/West sides, upper concourse all the way around and expanded pressbox shameless post. JTS final form.

Whenever these things are discussed, I always wonder what the lifespan of the original concrete is supposed to be. We're at 50 years now... Is it designed to last 100? (sorry if it's already been discussed in this 284 page thread)

• Informative
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Whenever these things are discussed, I always wonder what the lifespan of the original concrete is supposed to be. We're at 50 years now... Is it designed to last 100? (sorry if it's already been discussed in this 284 page thread)
I seem to recall that it’s been mention that it was designed so it could support more weight—I.e., a third deck.

No idea at the lifespan—but it’s not like in the Seventies, people didn’t expect football stadiums to stick around a while.

Reactions: nrg4isu

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I seem to recall that it’s been mention that it was designed so it could support more weight—I.e., a third deck.

No idea at the lifespan—but it’s not like in the Seventies, people didn’t expect football stadiums to stick around a while.
The Kansas City Royals have been citing end of life issues with the concrete in Kaufmann Stadium as one of the reasons they need to move. Kaufmann was built in 1973.

https://www.kcur.org/news/2023-11-0...xing-a-crumbling-kauffman-stadium-will-be-too

• Informative
Reactions: nrg4isu

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
This thread has gone quiet. And since this thread has become all things facility upgrades.

Has anyone seen or heard of any updates.

Ie:
Anything else confirmed for CyTown? Brewery, Hotel, restaurants, stores, etc. besides clinic.
Timeline adjustments for CyTown?
When Buildings will start going up?
Parking timeline adjustments since they are ahead?

More info on new things being bid out?
Updates on new vid boards and sound systems for JTS and Hilton?
Future of planned Hilton reno?
Other new facilities in the works?
Timeline of new Wrestling facility? What about Wrestling upgrades in progress at Leid and what those will be used for?
Timeline of new Tennis and VB facilities?

Any other facility upgrades being discussed/planned? etc.

cy4state

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2017
Nevada, IA
This thread has gone quiet. And since this thread has become all things facility upgrades.

Has anyone seen or heard of any updates.

Ie:
Anything else confirmed for CyTown? Brewery, Hotel, restaurants, stores, etc. besides clinic.
Timeline adjustments for CyTown?
When Buildings will start going up?
Parking timeline adjustments since they are ahead?

More info on new things being bid out?
Updates on new vid boards and sound systems for JTS and Hilton?
Future of planned Hilton reno?
Other new facilities in the works?
Timeline of new Wrestling facility? What about Wrestling upgrades in progress at Leid and what those will be used for?
Timeline of new Tennis and VB facilities?

Any other facility upgrades being discussed/planned? etc.
West O, is my money for brewery.
Video and sound, bids are in and I believe being evaluated. Not sure if there is an award yet.

Reactions: NWICY and nrg4isu

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Last I heard was from Pollard on his quarterly radio appearance. He said that interest from businesses to build in CyTown "far exceeded" (or along those words I can't remember) their expectations. So who knows what that means.
Hopefully they'll announce that they've moved the walk-in clinic out of the premier spot next to the stadium and something cooler is going there instead...
Sounded like they will be announcing some stuff in the next month or two?

goldmember

May 31, 2006
A major key is architecture and materials, otherwise it’s just a glorified strip mall. They already missed an opportunity to tie the stadium into Cytown, when they built the bridge and north end zone plaza. They should have used the same brick / stone used on the Iowa State University signs on University Blvd, and carried that theme into Cytown.

IMG_0094.jpeg

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
A major key is architecture and materials, otherwise it’s just a glorified strip mall. They already missed an opportunity to tie the stadium into Cytown, when they built the bridge and north end zone plaza. They should have used the same brick / stone used on the Iowa State University signs on University Blvd, and carried that theme into Cytown.

View attachment 123802

I didn’t know it was finished.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL

View attachment 123802
That much brick on an obviously new development looks tacky IMO.

Checkout Bricktown in Oklahoma City for reference

Reactions: Cyclonsin

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

View attachment 123802

The brick would tie in with the entrance sign and the Alumni Center. However, isn't the concrete "brutalism" the dominating theme of the area (Hilton, Scheman, Stephens, and Jack Trice Stadium)?

The Sports Performance Center sort of fits next to the Jacobsen Building, particularly the part you can't see from outside the stadium. Bergstrom is fine because it is next to the stadium and has a roof shaped like a football!

I can't tell much from the "Coming Soon" sign, particularly regarding the use of brick or concrete.

1707828689798.png

Reactions: Cyclonsin

GingerNinja

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2012
Omaha
They are still pretty early in the whole process as they just were receiving letters of interest from developers at the end of 2023. If you go to their procurement link from the Iowa State bidding website you can see all of the information they gave to developers, including a design guidelines document talking about materials, building heights, etc.

I assume this is what Pollard was talking about when he said they got a lot of interest, now they are probably working their way through everything they received to see who is actually interested vs someone just lobbing ideas out.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
I'm fine with the aesthetic of the bridge and what it seems like CyTown will be. A development in the middle of a parking lot that is designed to look old wouldn't look great imo. A modern feel to the buildings would match the rest of Iowa State Center.

Reactions: Remo Gaggi

cy4state

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2017
Nevada, IA
Volleyball looks to be completed by 2025 from the video below. I believe the tennis facility is supposed to be done before then, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: Aclone