"Just Sayin" Eliminated from ISU Daily

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
The best part of the Daily is gone.

After two comments that were interpreted as racist were published on Friday, apparently the geniuses at the Daily have decided to eliminate "Just Sayin" altogether. (Two comments about "squinteys" were published assuming that they were in reference to squirrels but the Asian community was very upset.)

I would say that a huge chunk of students just lost all motivation to pick up that paper... Seems like an overreaction to me.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
The Iowa State Daily is making the right call by shutting down the "Just Sayin's" and starting a dialogue about racism.

Couldn't disagree more. However I certainly feel that the comments published on Friday were inappropriate but in no way does that mean they should shut down the whole thing.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Couldn't disagree more. However I certainly feel that the comments published on Friday were inappropriate but in no way does that mean they should shut down the whole thing.
It absolutely is the right call. If people are picking up the ISD solely for the Just Sayin's, they're picking it up for the wrong reasons, and that in of itself is a problem.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Letter to the editor: Racial nature of "Just Sayin" comments shows prevalence of prejudice - Iowa State Daily: Opinion

Lovett: 'Just Sayin' error brings racism to light - Iowa State Daily: Opinion

Editor in Chief, Jake Lovett, has handled it like a true journalist.

The Iowa State Daily is making the right call by shutting down the "Just Sayin's" and starting a dialogue about racism.

I agree. I actually know Jake, and something like this truly doesn't sit well with him. I doubt that this segment of the paper will be gone permanently, but they'll have to figure out a way to make sure this sort of thing doesn't happen again. Until they do, it should be shut down.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
It absolutely is the right call. If people are picking up the ISD solely for the Just Sayin's, they're picking it up for the wrong reasons, and that in of itself is a problem.

It's a problem for ISD. Truly a huge portion of the people that I know who read the Daily at all (already a minority) look at the Just Sayin's first. ISD should start printing fewer copies now because lots of people have no initial motivation to pick up a copy.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
It's a problem for ISD. Truly a huge portion of the people that I know who read the Daily at all (already a minority) look at the Just Sayin's first. ISD should start printing fewer copies now because lots of people have no initial motivation to pick up a copy.
That's just sad.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

I'm not sure I buy that so few people have any interest in reading the Daily. Maybe they don't pick up a copy, but I know the Daily Iowan gets around 50k hits online every day. I'd be surprised if the numbers aren't similar at the Daily. People read the stories, they just may not pick up the hard copy (Which is why newspapers are in such trouble all across the country. Everything is moving online.).

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Really? The rest are picking it up for the sudoku or crossword.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009

Over 50% of the people who read the ISD look straight to the just sayin section. This is another case of over sensitive people crying over a term that isn't even derogatorily used.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
The just sayin was really dumb anyway. But that didn't keep me from reading it.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009

So i watch the 5 o clock news just for the weather report. That means i'm watching the news for all the wrong reasons right?

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
I don't get the interperatation of "squintey's" meaning squirrels? Could somebody elaborate one that one for me?

And though I agree that it is sad, but I think it is correct in saying that a ton of the students picking up the paper just look to those. (Again, this doesn't mean I think that's fine). But does it really matter? The students get the paper free anyway. So even if less students pick it up now it's irrelevent.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Wait I'm confused....Weren't they talking about the ground squirrels? Is that racist? I don't think I've used that term to describe them but have heard it used before and never thought of it as anything racist. I just don't see the connection. If someone wants to explain that would be great.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Over 50% of the people who read the ISD look straight to the just sayin section. This is another case of over sensitive people crying over a term that isn't even derogatorily used.

The context of that word's usage made it pretty ambiguous. It wasn't the Jeremy Lin "Chink in the armor" line. The "squintys" are invading?

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
I don't get the interperatation of "squintey's" meaning squirrels? Could somebody elaborate one that one for me?

And though I agree that it is sad, but I think it is correct in saying that a ton of the students picking up the paper just look to those. (Again, this doesn't mean I think that's fine). But does it really matter? The students get the paper free anyway. So even if less students pick it up now it's irrelevent.

I have always called ground squirrels "squinneys" i think it's a regional thing. I never thought it was spelled with a t but it is a common name for ground squirrels.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA

I've never heard of that term used to describe a person of any race...I've always heard it to describe the little ground squirrels and have no idea where the name came from but never associated it with a person or any race.

Is this like the guy who was offended by the term "black hole"?

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Wait I'm confused....Weren't they talking about the ground squirrels? Is that racist? I don't think I've used that term to describe them but have heard it used before and never thought of it as anything racist. I just don't see the connection. If someone wants to explain that would be great.

It was a misspelling. The colloquial term for ground squirrels is "squinny". The word that appeared in the paper was "squinty".

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron