"Just Sayin" Eliminated from ISU Daily

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I think whoever is complaining about this obviously doesn't have enough work/schoolwork assigned to them if they have time to complain about stupid **** like this.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm from the farm but we always called ground squirrels 'grennies.' We may have been negatively referring to people from grenada however.

We always called them pocket gophers - I then had to learn that they were also ground squirrels - finally I had to learn they were squinties - now I hear that it actually should be squinnies - but that isn't PC so I should just exterminate them so we don't have to talk about them.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
Because when I think "attention-hungry people," I think of Asians. :jimlad:

I also have never heard of this term. I can understand the perception, and it's probably a poor choice in retrospect, but I can also assume that the guy who used the term assumed that everyone else knew it because he did.

Not really even referring to Asians when I posted that. Was more talking about the people clammoring that racism is running rampant at ISU (Like the girl in the discussion article about racism being brought to light or whatever).

I would have no way of knowing whether an Asian person would take offense to that term or not. I just feel, the way it was used was not meant to be deragatory and there are people out there who have an agenda to get noticed and use any means necessary to do that. If it offended people of Asian descent, I have no problem with them bringing that up to the people at the Daily, and changes to be made. But for other people to jump in on it and make it out like a mistake in editing suddenly means ISU is full of intolerant racists, makes me think they are attention-hungry

Like a previous poster said, how is a country ever supposed to move on from what happened in the past if there's constantly folks trying to drag us back to that by claiming an innocent term like "squinneys" is somehow a blatent display of racism?

Sighclone Fan

Jan 19, 2008
I feel like the editor really dropped the ball here. I'm sure ISD gets plenty of inappropriate comments every day - they should be able to tell what is suitable for the paper.

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
I was more offended by the ignorant letter to the editor comparing Asians studying here to the Russians stealing information during the Cold War, but to each their own.
Yeah, I'm with you there.

In all seriousness though, just like the Lin thing, it's poor editing more so than content. Seems like an overreaction to can the section.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Disagree totally. These comments make no sense when referencing a person.

"Just had a staring contest with a ground squirrel. They're fearless."

That makes more sense than if the quote was referencing a person? Having a staring contest with a ground squirrel seems pretty stupid to me.

"Saw a ground squirrel in the building. The invasion has begun."

This one actually makes sense. But it makes just as much sense if it were referencing a person who's not from here.

I haven't read the full story, so those two quotes may make more sense in context. But stand-alone, they still make sense if they were referring to a person.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

That makes more sense than if the quote was referencing a person? Having a staring contest with a ground squirrel seems pretty stupid to me.

This one actually makes sense. But it makes just as much sense if it were referencing a person who's not from here.

I haven't read the full story, so those two quotes may make more sense in context. But stand-alone, they still make sense if they were referring to a person.

MAYBE IF YOU'RE A RACIST!!!11!!11!

C

CyBer

I don't get the interperatation of "squintey's" meaning squirrels? Could somebody elaborate one that one for me?

And though I agree that it is sad, but I think it is correct in saying that a ton of the students picking up the paper just look to those. (Again, this doesn't mean I think that's fine). But does it really matter? The students get the paper free anyway. So even if less students pick it up now it's irrelevent.

I call chipmunks squinteys.....

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Reminds me of a funny ISU Daily error when I was in school. There was apparently a long standing joke between the writers and editors of the daily where they put funny things in the captions for the editors to catch. One morning I opened up the daily to see a picture of a guy I knew on the front page sitting at a computer with the following caption...

John Smith (name changed) stalks twelve year girls over the internet from a Carver computer lab.

Apparently the editors were supposed to catch that one, but it slipped through.

Last edited:

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA

Have you ever seen a ground squirrel? If not then I can maybe understand. It's a silly quote but one that any student should be able to relate to...assuming that student has ever walked across campus.

This is just dumb imo. The only people that are offended are showing their ignorance. Not saying that they are ignorant but we are championing their lack of understanding...while bashing OUR apparent lack of understanding (false imo). I'm going to go watch Idiocracy and see how close we are to fulfilling that destiny. And that is a movie...don't want anyone mis-interpreting this. and by this I mean the term Idiocracy...which is a movie.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I'm from the farm but we always called ground squirrels 'grennies.' We may have been negatively referring to people from grenada however.

I don't remember calling them anything but "ground squirrels" (except when we were talking about chipmunks, but that's another issue altogether) until one of my friends in high school called them "grinnies." I had to ask what she said several times, and then what she meant.

4Cyclones

Sep 10, 2009
Ankeny
This all happened while there was a debate in letters to the editor section that featured some, if not racist, then offensive opinions about Asians. That debate itself started with a letter that pointed out some definitely racist memes on that facebook page. And being a student at Iowa State, I can tell you that there are a lot of people that are just casually offensive towards Asians. Not saying there is rampant racism, we're a tolerant community; it's just that there's a problem that goes beyond the "oh, they're just being funny" excuse.

So, in an environment with that debate happening in the paper, it's easy to understand why the Daily experienced such a volatile response. Having grown up in Iowa, I know the term squinny as referring to a ground squirrel. But I would wager that most people here do not, and that the first thing they would assume "squintey" to be is a slur towards Asians. Think if you had never heard the term squinny before.

The Daily is doing what it needs to do, at least for now. Actually, they're going beyond that and trying to start a positive debate about the issue of racism. Maybe a bit of an overreaction on the Just Sayin's, but it says a lot that they're willing to do that - they know that a lot of students like that section.

This and the the fact that someone unfamiliar with the term altogether may interpret squintey as squint eye. No offense intened but non local (alot) of people / students could see that as a racist comment if they are unfamiliar with the ground squirrel "sqinney", with is ironically a smaller version of the squirrel family, which could also be found offensive too. Sorry, I just didn't know if some of you were seeing that relation.

ZachsterPoke

Jan 4, 2010
I see the relation, but considering the actual meaning is harmless (squirrels/chipmunks), the real issue is that the complaining students/faculty assumed the real meaning was derogatory and took offense at it, causing this whole uproar.

So, it's not that students are racist towards Asians. It's that those students/faculty don't know/understand midwestern terms and can't live with them.

K

KFitzy87

Pardon me, but how is this so bad? If a caucasian male/female got called a "cracker", I'd say 97% or more would just shrug it off. I'm completely against discrimination, but sticks, stones, words and you get the idea

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Pardon me, but how is this so bad? If a caucasian male/female got called a "cracker", I'd say 97% or more would just shrug it off. I'm completely against discrimination, but sticks, stones, words and you get the idea

Think of it more as how everyone acts around cacaus when some people get offended when some national new's guy says Iowa sucks (I'm paraphrashing of course). You could probably search CF and find a few threads about this bothering people.

Help Support Us

Become a patron